Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple released iPhone Update 1.0.1 yesterday. Here is a list of updates/fixes that appear to have been included after scouring the forums.

Warning

- It forces a full restore prior to update if you have a customized/hacked iPhone, so make sure to save your Camera Roll which will not automatically get synced prior to restore.

Not Fixed / Other

- Safari is still crashing for some users.
- Missing option for WEP or ASCII password (image) for Wifi password. The iPhone must be able to determine this automatically.
- The checkered screen pattern was not affected by this update.

Fixes

- VPN appears to work more reliably.
- Not fully charging battery indicator appears to be fixed.
- Passcode lock now offers time-out options up to 1 hour.
- You can automatically BCC yourself in Settings -> Mail
- Settings -> Phone -> Call Forwarding remembers the last phone number you entered.
- Some people claim that the speaker is subjectively louder.

Apple also posted an updated User Guide (PDF).

Article Link

pdnellius

May 8, 2005
well, seeing as how i have 5 ringtones and a library of music on an external hdd i don't really see the need to upgrade to 1.0.1. They could've at least released some new apps or something with this update :confused:

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
well, seeing as how i have 5 ringtones and a library of music on an external hdd i don't really see the need to upgrade to 1.0.1. They could've at least released some new apps or something with this update :confused:

Don't worry, an actual enhancement update will come soon. This update was mainly to address some specific security issues.

Oogami

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
- Missing option for WEP or ASCII password (image) for Wifi password. The iPhone must be able to determine this automatically.

Hex passwords still work. Just type it in as you normally do. It just figures it out whether it's a WEP password or HEX key.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
yes. turn on the passcode lock. once on, the option for time out appears.

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

I'm delighted to report that my screen seems to be smudging less. Couldn't be happier.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
One other thing I noticed is the before the update, while scrolling with my finger up and down through any menu, my finger would end up not where I first put it on the screen. Now, it does.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Now both my speakers on the bottom work, although one is still louder than the other, might just be that one song...

I think edge is crashing more, it keeps telling me that it can't activate EDGE, presistently, and then while the dialog box is up telling me that, the data loads underneath it, and it seems to be running more slowly overall. A quantitative test shows I'm getting data rates as fast as 195 kbps to as slow as 89 kbps from packet to packet.

My VPN now remembers my password like I like for it to!

Edit: I'm not sure what my ears are telling me anymore. After installing the update I was 100% sure there were two speakers working, but now I'm not so sure... I had previously been so acutely aware that there was only one speaker, I felt sure I was hearing two, but now I think maybe there is just one... I don't know.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Now both my speakers on the bottom work, although one is still louder than the other, might just be that one song...

You know I thought this must be craziness talking... but you are right. Before if I covered up the left speaker, I couldn't hear anything. Now I can hear something. Note, the right "speaker" is actually just the mic, so they must have made it louder or something.

arn

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
There is only one speaker, the other side is the mic, and some sound bleeds across.

Yea i swear i read some where that there was only one speaker on the bottom of our phones... But i might just be imagining it... Anyone notice if their spell correction feature works more consistently after the update? I was going to say i did, but while typing this post it did not help me again. I really hope this is fixed soon!

pghjetta

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
I have to disagree with the reports of the volume being corrected. I think it's even quieter than before! I tried calling people with a variety of cell providers and landlines after the update, and had to be in a quiet room to hear anyone clearly, even with the volume turned all the way up. Before the update, I could hear most people moderately well, even while out shopping, etc.

I'm curious to hear other people's experiences...

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Exchange and their nested folders work now.
Also, I was begining to think the internal speaker sucked, and my FM-modulator sucked, then I realized it's the quality of most of my mp3s that sucks.

iscripter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Head set play pause

One thing that I have noticed is that the play-pause from the clicker on the headphones now works better. Before the update if I was listening with the headphones and I clicked the pause button on headphones it would pause. But if I waited to long to click it again to continue playing the songs it wouldn't work and I would actually have to take the iPhone out of my pocket and click play on the screen.

This was very annoying but they have fixed it now. Now I can't wait for some real feature updates.

feraca

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2007
Beeping

QUOTE]
I'm getting a frequent beeping now every time it checks mail even if it doent find new mail - anyone have this problem - didnt start till after I ran the patch

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
- You can automatically BCC yourself in Settings -> Mail

There was some kind of setting for this before the update.
Was the option changed in some way, or is its inclusion on this list a mistake?

iscripter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Belkin Auto Kit for iPod

I just tried this in my car. And now the Belkin Auto Kit for iPod works with the iPhone. Before the update the Belkin Auto Kit for iPod would only charge the iPhone and no sound would come out when playing in ipod mode.

Now you still get the message that says "This device is not designed to work with iPhone. Would you like to switch to Airplane mode." Just click No and and go to ipod mode play some music and it will output the sound through the dock connector just like the ipod.

Ahhh now I can listen to my iPhone in the car just like I used to with my iPod. :D

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
There was some kind of setting for this before the update.
Was the option changed in some way, or is its inclusion on this list a mistake?
The difference is now you can BCC instead of just CC.

I just tried this in my car. And now the Belkin Auto Kit for iPod works with the iPhone. Before the update the Belkin Auto Kit for iPod would only charge the iPhone and no sound would come out when playing in ipod mode.
Freakin' sweet. I was just about to pull mine apart and cut the wire as well. ;)

potterg

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2006
text messages

When someone sends me a text the actual message doesnt show up anymore. It just sayd the persons name and the word "text" afterwards. Isn't this new?

axonic labs

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
Re: Warning: Camera Roll

my camera roll didn't get erased when i ran the update. i didn't back it up either.

rikahlberg

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C25 Safari/419.3)

MBHockey said:
Macrumors said:
- Passcode lock now offers time-out options up to 1 hour.

I do not see this in my updated iPhone. Is this true?

works for me: settings > general > passcode lock > require passcode

I have mine set to 30 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.