Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marc2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
I haven't seen too many iPhone car installation photos out there, so I thought I'd post mine to maybe spark some ideas out there in the community! I had my car previously wired for using the iPod, but now with the iPhone, I wanted to have the iPhone up higher so that I could see the turn by turn directions without distracting myself from the road. I also wanted it to charge and play through the stereo, and I wanted it to look as "factory" as possible.

Here's the end result:

987867812_5dc24eaa7f.jpg

Closeup:
987013963_b0ad7b7943.jpg

Without iPhone in dock:
987012867_b25c4abc1b.jpg

When I can get my hands on the iPhone bluetooth headset, I plan to install the new duo dock in the dash in its place (painted black, of course).

Parts used: Monster iCable, Blitzsafe adapter (to play iPod through car stereo through line out), iPod charger, Black plastic paint to paint iPhone dock.

If you all have any questions, please let me know!
:)

double0jimb0

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Marc, I am very glad you put this up! I have been hashing around ideas for installing it in my Jetta, but had some questions that could be 'deal breakers'.

I am primarily interested in being able to answer the phone and having the callers voice go through the car's stereo. Problem is that I can not figure out a way to have the microphone in "loudspeaker" mode. When in a call, if you hit the 'Speaker' button, the sensitivy of the microphone gets cranked up. I feel that it is necessary for the microphone to be in this mode inorder to pick up my vioce in the car.

When I experimented with the line out on my cradle, the microphone was not in this loud mode. Do you have similar results?

Or do you answer the phone by picking it up out of the cradle and holding it to your head?

Would you please comment on any experiences you have had when using the 'phone' of the iphone in the car.

Thanks a bunch

Marc2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
I was hoping before the phone came out that the call audio would go through the dock, but that's not the case. You could use the phone's speakerphone, but it will be difficult for them to hear you and vice versa...I currently pick the phone up or use the headphones if they're handy. I plan to buy the Apple iPhone Bluetooth Headset when it's available, and replace my current dock with the new one, although I'll have to widen the opening I made to do so. That seems like the best bet, and that way I'll be able to have the headset there charging, and when a call comes in, just put the piece in my ear to talk.

You might be able to run the audio from the call through from the headphone jack of the phone, but it would make the setup less seamless, because you'd have to manually plug in the headphone jack each time--not sure how well the phone would pick up your voice from a few feet away...

Just my 0.02! :) Best of luck!

double0jimb0

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks for the reply. That is what I feared.

I think I am going to try using the Shure headphone adapter that has the microphone in it and plug the Blitzsafe from it to the headunit. The shure headphone adapter just came out, so not too many reviews yet, but I am going to try to route it up through the driver's side A-pillar and have the microphone up in that corner. Will be alot of wires running around, and may be a challenge in hiding them all.

Thanks again!

Marc2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Sometimes, yes--but not enough to be distracting. If it happens, it's usually very very faint in the background of the music. I only really hear it if there's no music playing and the stereo's on. There's always airplane mode, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm also using an older iCable where the shielding has pulled back (like most of them out there)...I would bet that a new cable or one with more shielding would help eliminate the noise, but it's not that big of an issue for me.

raccoontail

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
That looks great! Though i'd be a little worried about Flying iPhone Syndrome (FiS) with some of the potholes around me. :eek:

I have an Alpine head unit with a 6-foot iPod dock cable that I threaded into the glove compartment. Compatibility-wise it works great with the iPhone - I can either leave it in the glove compartment or there's enough slack to set it in the console or front seat. I love being able to see the song titles, etc on the stereo's screen, but unfortunately the 3G buzz is so bad it's often unusable. Still not having to buy a separate car charger was great.

Marc2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Well, so far so good for me...I drive like a crazy person, and haven't had the iPhone fly out of there yet...it really fits pretty snug into the dock, and the back of the iPhone rests against the dash too so that if I touch the screen, it just presses against the dash so that it's not wobbly in there. :)

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
nice to have cars that support the cables. I have a new mitsubishi Eclipse 07 and i had to get the mitsubishi ipod adapter which doesn't allow u to see the screen or use the thing while its plugged in and soon ill have a plain aux adapter installed as well. i'd love one of those plugs that is the best of both worlds tho

Marc2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Although that's where the cupholders used to go, in the '04 model, the cupholders are in the center console next to the e-brake and shifter. :) That's why I've got the lovely space there to put in the dock!

Now you have no cupholders.

Oh the humanity...

TDI Golf thought, Good Choice.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
<-------- Works for a VW/Audi Dealer. Can tell a lot from the photo except for model year.

Those cupholders above the radio are worthless anyway :D

Marc2007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
Yes, they were absolutely worthless! Can't adjust the stereo with a cup in there, and what happens if you spill your drink? Yeah, all over your stereo. Nice. :)

I used to work for a VW/Audi dealer too (which is why I drive the TDI Golf...)

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
Truly a beautiful installation. My iPod-Car solution via a Kenwood created iPod interface works in my car, but not without problems. It doesn't play tracks at a consistent volume and since it determines it to be an iPod attachment does not allow me to change songs via iPhone. Since my headunit does allow song and track changes this is ok, but accessing both would have been sweeter. Congrats to Marc2007 for making this great solution.

P.S. I think the design of the above CD player cup holders was always a silly implementation on VW's part

stompy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002

Is that an iceLink? The thing that bothers me about my iceLink and iPod is that the iPod interface gets replaced by Dension's non-interface when plugged in.

Looks like that doesn't happen with the iPhone.... true?

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I have a similar in-car installation, using a phone holder and a belkin ipod adapter. Unfortunately, i am waiting for apple to hopefully update the firmware so the belkin adapter will be able to play music out if the dock. But the placement is nice and high like yours.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Which iPod did you have in your Icelink before - 4G or 5G?

I have a 4G at the moment, I wonder if the iPhone will fit in the Icelink straightaway?

Do you have to put it in airplane mode, or does the audio work fine, just like your ipod? Also, do you think steering wheel controls will control the iPhone (like they do for the iPod, well on my MINI anyway), and will text be output to the headunit, like the iPod does?

Yankees 4 Life

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
College Station, Tx
Is that an iceLink? The thing that bothers me about my iceLink and iPod is that the iPod interface gets replaced by Dension's non-interface when plugged in.

Looks like that doesn't happen with the iPhone.... true?

hey with my icelink, it doesnt even work with the iphone... :( It charges it and u can use it for turn by turn nav :) My Audi A6 speakers dont get the buzzing noise either...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.