Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhammer21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
I have a troubling problem: when I press the play button on iTunes, the file does not play. The play symbol changes to the pause symbol, as if it was playing, but the cursor on the time bar does not move to the right and there is no sound. The problem is actually bigger than that. My sound does not work period. It's not just that sound doesn't come out of the speakers, but the volume keys don't actually do anything (the increase or decrease volume image does not come up on the screen). So I don't know if it's just a sound problem, or some bigger global problem, but it definitely is more than just a faulty speaker connection.

I'm using an eMac, OS 10.2.8,700 MHz PowerPC G4, 768 MB memory, iTunes 6.0.5. I've tried reinstalling iTunes, but it's been no help. I read on another message board about a similar problem, and that the person solved it by installing an updated version of QuickTime. I didn't really understand what QuickTime has to do with the problem, but maybe it has something to do with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Quicktime handles a lot of the audio and video jobs on a mac, often in the background, so I would say that updating to the latest version is definitely worth a shot.

jhammer21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
one more thing...

I forgot to mention something that is probably important. I just changed out my hard drive (or more accurately, my friend who knows what he's doing changed hard drives), and the problem arose immediately afterward. I'm actually not using the new hard drive yet, b/c I'm having a problem copying over my the contents of my old HD to my new one (that's the subject for another thread). I'm running off of my old HD externally.

Anyway, I realize it may be significant that the problem started just after I disassembled the computer.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
10.2.8 isn't going to support the newest version of quicktime, or almost anything else for that matter.

Try repairing permissions. Just a thought.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
Anyway, I realize it may be significant that the problem started just after I disassembled the computer.

Maybe there's a loose wire connecting the speakers to the whatever. I don't know what the inside of an eMac looks like, but it could be that this is the problem rather than any software issue.

jhammer21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
But if it was the connection from the speakers, wouldn't iTunes play, but no sound come out? In my case iTunes simply doesn't play. And again, the volume image doesn't come up when I press the volume keys. That's what made me think it's not a hardware issue.

matteoman

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
It's happening to me too...

This has happened to me too. I removed parallels and bootcamp yesterday and ran Diskwarrior as my HD could not verify in Disk Utility and now I have no sound and songs will not play in iTunes however TV shows will play but with no sound. It's not the hardware as I get the startup chimes loud and clear when I reboot.

Help!!!

running 10.4.10 on mbp

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
This has happened to me too. I removed parallels and bootcamp yesterday and ran Diskwarrior as my HD could not verify in Disk Utility and now I have no sound and songs will not play in iTunes however TV shows will play but with no sound. It's not the hardware as I get the startup chimes loud and clear when I reboot.

Help!!!

running 10.4.10 on mbp

And you're running the latest versions of quicktime and itunes?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Just to check the obvious, you're trying to play audio through the built in internal speaker and not external speakers or headphones or anything like that, right?

matteoman

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2007
Yeah everything was set up ok. (Correct speakers etc) I did an erase and install of osx and now everything is fine. Bit of a pain but it worked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.