Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Hi,

I have used the freeware app Clutter for awhile to find album artwork, and show artwork on my desktop. It's a very nifty app IMO.

But it's no longer in development, and is PPC only. Is anyone interested in trying to compile this? (I don't have XCode on my MacBook, and am unsure of what to do anyways.)

http://www.sprote.com/clutter/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/clutter/

I tried emailing the dev, but the email bounced.

Thanks!!
Steve

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
You can get most artwork from the iTunes music store. There's really no need for Cutter anymore. I used to use it before Apple added that feature to iTunes.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
True, but it's still a nice eye candy app IMO. I like having album covers to decorate my desktop (that can be clicked to play the album), but not enough to take the Rosetta hit on my 1GB MB... ;)

No big though, finding album covers was its main purpose.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Well it seems to be written in Cocoa, so a recompile should be all that's needed to make it Universal.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Here you go: Clutter. Updated source is available as well (should build without errors on 10.4).

Warning: there is some ugly, old code in there :)

Well it seems to be written in Cocoa, so a recompile should be all that's needed to make it Universal.

Pretty much that was the situation, but there were some errors (looked new to GCC 4) and missing frameworks (ID3). Took only about 5 minutes to fix though.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Here you go: Clutter. Updated source is available as well (should build without errors on 10.4).

Warning: there is some ugly, old code in there :)

Pretty much that was the situation, but there were some errors (looked new to GCC 4) and missing frameworks (ID3). Took only about 5 minutes to fix though.
Thanks for the re-compile. :)

It loads on my Macbook, and most of the features are fine, but I can't seem to get the desktop cover art to work, and opening the Browser window crashes the app.

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Cooool. Thanks for that....My artwork seems fine. Mine also crashes when I go to "browser" & "browse music library" which is a shame.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Awesome, thanks so much kainjow!

EDIT- Unfortunately I can no longer copy album covers. I think it worked at first, but then after crashing the app trying to browse, album covers no longer copy. I tried deleteing the app's cache and preferences, but to no avail. No big- thanks anyway!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.