Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puzzled21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
My iPhone connects to my home network flawlessly, but is having difficulties with the network at work. The network at work is not password protected, but the network name is not broadcasted. I go into the wifi menu and select other and manually enter the network name, but keep getting the message "could not find the network xxx". I can successfully connect my work laptop, my personal laptop, and a nintendo ds to the network. This leads me to believe somethings up with the phone. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Puzzled21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2007
No, anyone with knowledge of the network name can gain access. No password needed, no mac address filtering. Thanks for the suggestion, any other any ideas/suggestions?

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Is it possible that the network name is case sensitive? Perhaps you have an inadvertent leading space or capitalization.

That;s my first thought as well. You might also try putting the name within parenthesis (NAME.) A long time ago, since fixed on the laptops and desktops, you would have to put a & or $ (can't recall which symbol) in front of wireless network passwords and/or network names, for them to properly translate/connect. This has since been fixed and I haven't had to do that in a really long time (hence the reason I am a little fuzzy on the specifics) and I haven't had to do it at all on my iPhone. But, since your reaching out...

...also, what did you find in the Apple Knowledge Base?

foonon

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
I hide my SSID on my home network and prior to the recent update, I had a similar problem. Once I updated to version 1.0.1, I was able to connect to a WiFi net with a hidden name!

~f

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.