Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gguerini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Hi, I need to connect to my work computer (pc) trought a Windows VPN.
I have a "how to" document, with all configurations on Win XP.
This document contains informations about DNS and WINS.

On Mac, I didnt find anywhere to configure this info.
When I configured on Win XP, all things works fine... but not in Mac.

How can I do??

Thanks, in advice. ;)

kostia

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
This is applicable to my VPN; it might not be applicable to yours. Hope it at least helps.

In System Preferences, go to the Network pane.

Click the dropdown menu next to "Show" and select "Network Port Configurations." Check the checkbox next to "VPN (PPTP)."

Click next to "Show" again and select "VPN (PPTP)."

On the TCP/IP tab, set "Configure IPv4" to "Using PPP." You can fill in the provided DNS server information (probably one or more IP addresses) next to "DNS Servers" in this window. If you were provided domain names or IPs for search domains, fill those in as well. Otherwise you're done with this part.

Run the application "Internet Connect." It's located in Applications, or you can get to it from the Airport or Bluetooth menu bar icons.

Click the "VPN (PPTP)" icon at the top.

Put in the server address (the actual IP you connect to), and put in your login information (this is the same user name and password you'd use to log in to the network on a local Windows machine). Check "Show VPN status in menu bar."

Click "Connect" and see what happens. You should see "Contacting VPN server" then "Authenticating" then "Connected to" and "Connect time" at the bottom next to "Status," and the "Connect" button should change to "Disconnect."

Important: Go to the "Connect" menu and select "Options." Make sure "Send all traffic over VPN connection" is NOT checked; otherwise your regular internet connection will slow way down as it all goes over the VPN to the remote network!

You're now connected to the network just as if you were in the office.

You should also have been provided an IP address for the network drive you need to access. To connect to it, go to Finder and either do command-K or select the "Go" menu then "Connect to Server."

Type "smb://" followed by the IP address of the network drive at work. If you type just the IP address, it will default to "afp://" which is the Apple networking protocol; you need to specify "smb://" so it connects using the protocol the Windows server will understand.

The remote network drive should then appear as a drive icon on your desktop, and you should be able to access it just as if you were in the office.

Like I said, this is how mine is set up. Hopefully it will give you a starting point and if it doesn't work there is someone at your office who can help.

You shouldn't have to worry about the WINS information specified, by the way. That stands for Windows Internet Name Service, and should only be necessary with Windows clients and Windows servers running software *older* than Windows 2000 and Windows 2000 Server.

Check Wikipedia entries for WINS, Apple Filing Protocol, and Server Message Block (as well as the other terms) for more details on what those are. My knowledge is based 100% on the struggle to get my own VPN connection up and running!

gguerini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
This is applicable to my VPN; it might not be applicable to yours. Hope it at least helps.

In System Preferences, go to the Network pane.

Click the dropdown menu next to "Show" and select "Network Port Configurations." Check the checkbox next to "VPN (PPTP)."

Click next to "Show" again and select "VPN (PPTP)."

On the TCP/IP tab, set "Configure IPv4" to "Using PPP." You can fill in the provided DNS server information (probably one or more IP addresses) next to "DNS Servers" in this window. If you were provided domain names or IPs for search domains, fill those in as well. Otherwise you're done with this part.

Run the application "Internet Connect." It's located in Applications, or you can get to it from the Airport or Bluetooth menu bar icons.

Click the "VPN (PPTP)" icon at the top.

Put in the server address (the actual IP you connect to), and put in your login information (this is the same user name and password you'd use to log in to the network on a local Windows machine). Check "Show VPN status in menu bar."

Click "Connect" and see what happens. You should see "Contacting VPN server" then "Authenticating" then "Connected to" and "Connect time" at the bottom next to "Status," and the "Connect" button should change to "Disconnect."

Important: Go to the "Connect" menu and select "Options." Make sure "Send all traffic over VPN connection" is NOT checked; otherwise your regular internet connection will slow way down as it all goes over the VPN to the remote network!

You're now connected to the network just as if you were in the office.

You should also have been provided an IP address for the network drive you need to access. To connect to it, go to Finder and either do command-K or select the "Go" menu then "Connect to Server."

Type "smb://" followed by the IP address of the network drive at work. If you type just the IP address, it will default to "afp://" which is the Apple networking protocol; you need to specify "smb://" so it connects using the protocol the Windows server will understand.

The remote network drive should then appear as a drive icon on your desktop, and you should be able to access it just as if you were in the office.

Like I said, this is how mine is set up. Hopefully it will give you a starting point and if it doesn't work there is someone at your office who can help.

You shouldn't have to worry about the WINS information specified, by the way. That stands for Windows Internet Name Service, and should only be necessary with Windows clients and Windows servers running software *older* than Windows 2000 and Windows 2000 Server.

Check Wikipedia entries for WINS, Apple Filing Protocol, and Server Message Block (as well as the other terms) for more details on what those are. My knowledge is based 100% on the struggle to get my own VPN connection up and running!

Thanks!
I'll try it at home. ;)

askywalker

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2007
Kostia - nice info ! VPN connects but no access to LAN

Kostia, your 'guide' was very helpful. I am hoping you (or someone) might have some ideas regarding my situation.

I connect successfully to our office (which is a monowall). I know the VPN part is working, because all my traffic is now going through my office internet connection. I can change this easily thanks to your guide (ie: uncheck 'send all traffic').

The trouble is, I can't connect to (or even ping) any of the servers on the network. When running XP (via Fusion) I can easily connect to the shares (ie: \\192.168.12.10\c$) when I use the XP VPN connection, but with the Apple connection I cannot seem to find anything. I am attempting to connect to mail server (via IP address), Server 2003 File Share, SQL2005 (via IP)...

I have tried:
- setting the 'Directory Access' SMB Workgroup name.
- network - vpn - DNS server
- reading through TONS of great threads here

XP seems to set everything up without any manual overrides (just entered address, Username & Password), so I tried connecting and peeking at what DNS servers etc that it configured itself as.

I can get most of my work done in XP under Fusion, but my office is full of 'I told you so' people who disagree with my choice of a Macbook Pro. I had been hoping to work with more Apple apps, but can't do much without getting connected to the VPN. It is really killing me - I love this Mac OS...

One last thought - the place I am staying seems to be assigning IP addresses that my office uses as well. I didn't think that was the problem since the VPN connects so easily (and Internet traffic works over the VPN) - and of course, XP in Fusion works perfectly.

Somebody please help . :)

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007

Is "smb" a Windows thing? I dug this thread up from a search, and I'm having problems connecting to a Linux server. "SMB" does not seem to be working.

Is there a different protocol for Linux?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.