Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ganador01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
I just bought an apple case and screen protector. I go to put the screen protector on and it doesn't quite go on bubble free. So I pull the screen thing off to try to reapply it.

Low and behold my iphone now has 2 bubbles IN the screen. The applicator is gone, but now i have these rather large bubbles on my iphone screen. What could cause this and how can i get rid of them?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Are the in the glass? Do they look like this?

Click for full size image:
IMG_0015.jpg

If they are there when the screen protector is OFF, then you must have just not noticed them. They are in the glass.

I've had two iPhones replaced due to bubbles in the glass. Above is a picture of the first one.

ganador01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007

IMG_0015.jpg

If they are there when the screen protector is OFF, then you must have just not noticed them. They are in the glass.

I've had two iPhones replaced due to bubbles in the glass. Above is a picture of the first one.

No, they are actual Bubbles. Not dead pixels. And trust me, they are way too large to not notice. Can be measured in milimeters. Appeared immediately upon removing the screen protector. Seems to me like some how, some chemical in the screen protector had a reaction with something in the phone and caused somehow this bubble to form.

ganador01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Weird enough, by pressing hard on the screen protector and pulling up real fast over and over, I have been able to eliminate the bubble. Not sure why it worked, but it did so im happy.

megfilmworks

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2007
Sherman Oaks
The touch screen is multiple layers and by tugging on it or pushing it you are de-laminating the layers. This would look like a bubble that comes and goes.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
No, they are actual Bubbles. Not dead pixels. And trust me, they are way too large to not notice. Can be measured in milimeters. Appeared immediately upon removing the screen protector. Seems to me like some how, some chemical in the screen protector had a reaction with something in the phone and caused somehow this bubble to form.

Who said anything about dead pixels? The picture I provided shows bubbles... :rolleyes:

10inch

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
iphone bubbles

i have bubbles in my iphone screen near the home buton and along one side
i only got them after i put the screen protecter on :( and havnt botherd with replacement becuz its a jailbroken 1 from ebay.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
i have bubbles in my iphone screen near the home buton and along one side
i only got them after i put the screen protecter on :( and havnt botherd with replacement becuz its a jailbroken 1 from ebay.

Are they small bubbles like the one the general posted? Both iPhones I've had have produced these after some time. The first one was replaced since it was near the middle of the screen. The second one appeared at the very top by the AT&T logo and therefore they couldn't replace it because the genius at the bar said "it doesn't impede the functionality of the device". Blah. If its far enough from the edges, probably more than 1/4", then you could probably get it replaced. Can you restore it and send it in? I don't know much about jailbreaking.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I have two bubbles also and was wondering what would have caused them for some time. One is just below the signal strength and the other on the battery meter. Perfect round bubbles under the glass, I scratched at them with a pen and could not feel them at all so they are in the glass, near the top layer

(they look exactly like the second post photo)

- James

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I have two bubbles also and was wondering what would have caused them for some time. One is just below the signal strength and the other on the battery meter. Perfect round bubbles under the glass, I scratched at them with a pen and could not feel them at all so they are in the glass, near the top layer

(they look exactly like the second post photo)

- James

I was told by the genius bar that it means the iPhone may be starting to lose touch sensitivity. But like I said, if its near the edges, you can't get a new one. It sucks, because my warranty expires in July, but I guess I'll be getting a 3g iPhone anyway. It might be caused by drops. For the first iPhone that had the bubble appear near the middle of the screen, which was a launch day iPhone, had the bubble appear in about October. I had dropped it for the first time as it slid off a clothes hamper onto a tile floor about 3ft. Within a week or so of that is when I noticed the bubble. The second bubble appeared before I had a major drop on my second one. I had dropped it in a parking lot and dented the corner where the bubble was, but the bubble was there before I dropped it and no new bubbles appeared. So I don't really know. I've read that it is a manufacturing defect. Who knows. But unless the bubbles appear further from the edges you can't get a new one, unless I guess if the genius at the bar just decides to be nice? I don't know how that all works on a case by case basis.

10inch

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
Are they small bubbles like the one the general posted? Both iPhones I've had have produced these after some time. The first one was replaced since it was near the middle of the screen. The second one appeared at the very top by the AT&T logo and therefore they couldn't replace it because the genius at the bar said "it doesn't impede the functionality of the device". Blah. If its far enough from the edges, probably more than 1/4", then you could probably get it replaced. Can you restore it and send it in? I don't know much about jailbreaking.

the bubbles r next 2 were the at&t (mine is optus) logo is and around the home button and recently just below the light sensor, i rang up about replacement, apple america (were the phone came from) said they will replace the screen not the phone but it will take 2/3 weeks i also rang the apple store that opened yesterday in australia and they wont have anything to do with it untill july 11 and wen they do they said i will need to pay for the replacement screen. so looks like ill b buyin a 3g one on july 11 lol:D

foggyboo

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2009

IMG_0015.jpg

Hi, I have a bubble just as the one shown on the picture. My question is: Is it only the glass i need to replace or I need to replace the digitizer as well in order to resolve the problem with the bubble?
thanks!:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.