Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Several readers have noted that Gizmodo.com has posted a small blurb that TaiwanHighTech.com:

Apple has contracted Quanta to make its 15-inch tablet PC. This is larger than most tablet PCs.

While Gizmodo's story is dated today (June 30, 2003), it's unclear when TaiwanHighTech's story was posted. The story is similar to an old (April, 2003) rumor originally reported by a Chinese news article (udn.com).

Bettista

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
I don't really see the point in Apple doing this unless they can introduce something remotely interesting that separates them from every other tablet - handwriting recognition and the like. Doesn't seem very useful to me...

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Steve said the market isn't right for tablet PCs.

The problems are two fold...handwriting of some people is not
consistant. The screen that is readable is usually not the one that will fit in your pocket.

Until OLED replaces LCD completely in most environments, don't expect tablet PCs from Apple. OLED offers the ability to fold the screen. Now that would be something to see. Apple started the market with the Newton, and we all know how that ended.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Re: Apple Tablet Rumblings (again)...

Originally posted by Macrumors
Several readers have noted that Gizmodo.com has posted a small blurb that TaiwanHighTech.com:

While Gizmodo's story is dated today (June 30, 2003), it's unclear when TaiwanHighTech's story was posted. The story is similar to an old (April, 2003) rumor originally reported by a Chinese news article (udn.com).

Uggggh. :(

I hope this is just a rumor.

Apple, quit f***ing with me already and make my 15" Aluminum PB.

syntax

Suspended
May 8, 2002
jizz-modo's "reporting" is notoriously sloppy -- which accusation its writers seem to feel insulated from on account of the site's being a blog. lame.

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Apple Tablet?

I surely dont have any use for an Apple tablet. That is, unless it had an attatched keyboard(which would pretty much make it a notebook). My handwriting isn't very good, so I doubt if it had handwriting recognition software it could recognize my handwriting. Apple doesn't need to make a tablet. It already has alot of mobile machines. Maybe this is one of those monitors that you can dock and undock. Undock it and take it to bed and do some work, then dock it, and the information that you just entered is saved. There are already some PC monitors that can do this. That would be cool.

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
Originally posted by gopher
Steve said the market isn't right for tablet PCs.

The problems are two fold...handwriting of some people is not
consistant. The screen that is readable is usually not the one that will fit in your pocket.

Until OLED replaces LCD completely in most environments, don't expect tablet PCs from Apple. OLED offers the ability to fold the screen. Now that would be something to see. Apple started the market with the Newton, and we all know how that ended.
Yes, if I recall, it ended with Jobs announcing in Christmas the opening of the Apple on line store and gleefully buying 2 Newtons because they were so "terrific". Then he axed it 2 months later (right after I bought mine). I dont believe a word he says. There is still a potential market for another gadget/videoiPod/homeAVor whatnot, because it will not compete with either Palm or laptop. Just another "must have" gadget.

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by Bettista
separates them from every other tablet

What I would like is a bare minimum system: an LCD screen, a small CPU, small memory, a wireless card, and a stripped down OS that supported a TCP/IP protocol stack and code to draw to the screen. The price should be relatively low too.

It would essentially be a wireless X terminal (for those who remember those). The applications would actually run on a regular macintosh, and display information would be sent over the wireless connection to the MacPad.

Target audiences: (1) home users who would keep the MacPad in their living room and their mac in the den; (2) professionals (executives, researchers, sys-admins) who need to look up something quickly while away from their desk.

In short, it replaces the laptop for activity while you are still "in the building" with your desktop machine.

Das

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Dang I wish this were true, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The PC tablets are expensive and underpowered. It would make sense for it to come out this year since they aren't coming out with any G5 pbs yet and apple is gimmickless. Heck, maybe for once I could actually use Ink.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I think these tablets are a terrible idea. i mean the keyboard was invented so we didn't have to write. And paper was invented so we can draw. So why don't you you just take a powerbook and glue a pad of paper to the back of the screen? <In the voice of comic book guy> Best Tablet EVER! :cool:

P-Worm

Nosidda

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
RE: JoeRadar

JoeRadar I think your on the right track, but you missed the best target audience of all: Education.

The cost of putting these things into schools would be much cheaper than laptops. Then you just buy a couple Xserves to do all the data crunching via Airport Extreme.

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by Abstract
Hmmm.....maybe its a tablet with a keyboard attached!! Yeah, that's right!! Hey, then Jobs can call it the 15" Powerbook!!! ;)

Ya, only if it was a tablet with a keyboard attached, you would still have to use a stylus(it wouldnt have a mouse), thus making it ........ a tablet. This has been doen on the PC side for people with bad handwriting. Maybe he could call it the 15 inch touchscreen powerbook with no mouse.

arainert

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe it isn't *just* a tablet...

... because that would be stoopid.

How about this:

. Assume that the previous thread re: the Powerbook ID #s is based in sort sort of reality and there is no plan for a 15 inch Pbook.

. Apple has 15 inch screens in production.

. If there are two versions of the 12 and the 17, where the high 12 and low 17 approximate the performance of the 15 everyone's been looking for.

. A tablet doesn't necessarily mean "a screen you can write on" and nothing else.

. There are a couple of Tablet PCs that are implemented in a pretty slick way that can function as a notebook, as a tablet (and even as a desktop) - there's an HP one that was in the most recent I-D magazine.

So...

Could Apple release a notebook with a 15 inch screen that can flip around, etc... and be used to sketch/write on, detached to use as a standalone screen.

And it could be touted as an ideal machine for the Creative Professional in 2 weeks in NY?

... ok we can all wake up now ...

Nosidda

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
RE: JoeRadar

JoeRadar I think your on the right track, but you missed the best target audience of all: Education.

The cost of putting these things into schools would be much cheaper than laptops. Then you just buy a couple G5 Xserves (hopefully soon) to do all the data crunching via Airport Extreme.

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
I see the tablet taking off only in places where people are still filling out tons of forms on a daily bases and access to information is critical. A doctors office, hospital, and possibly a shipping company (All the major shipping companies are already using some form of it)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Chef Ramen
and this is on the main page because....?:confused:

I'm pretty sure the someone on this forum...ahem...who will remain anonymous...has a tablet fixation.

JoeRadar

macrumors regular
May 28, 2003
Originally posted by Macpoops
I see the tablet taking off only in places where people are still filling out tons of forms on a daily bases and access to information is critical. A doctors office, hospital, and possibly a shipping company (All the major shipping companies are already using some form of it)

For a great treatment on this, read "startup" by Jerry Kaplan. While the book is about 8 years old, and the period of time it covers is over a decade old, it still seems relevant to the discussion of tablet PCs. Kaplan's GO Corporation looked at markets very similar to what you describe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.