Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Depends a bit on where you live and when it was purchased; I'll assume the new WEE directive doesn't apply in this case (Europe; only recently introduced; means manufacturers/retailers are legally obliged to take back old electronic waste).

Most recycling centres/domestic waste places have a special dump for old electronic equipment. They are broken down and heavy metals etc. removed/recycled.

Super Macho Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
Hollywood, CA
If you have access to crushing/grinding equipment, the best thing to do is grind it down into little bits and scatter them over pristine wildlife habitat. Animals are usually desperately in search of food, and plastic and metal contain valuable nutrients and minerals.

Alternately, just chuck the player out there, along with a few of your movies. Because the animals do get bored.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
When my first DVD player broke I sold it on eBay with the intent that maybe someone out there could use the parts. I clearly stated in my ad that the player did not work, and low and behold, someone still bought it for about $20. Just an option....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.