Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stek1961

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I know it's the wrong section but it's related to my new iMac purchase.

I got mine in store, hoping later to get the wireless mouse and keyb. I got my last keyb from Russia with Cyrillic as well as Latin charset. Anyone know where I can order one similar but obviously the new one!

Spacibo bolshoye!

ArkabaS

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2004
The Moon
Privet tovarish,

If I understand you correctly, you want a wireless Apple keyboard with cyrillic characters. As far as I know, no such keyboards exist. Apple has no stores or business in Russia. The best option is to buy stickers and place them on the keyboard. The apple keyboard has very simple and large keys, perfect for stickers.

stek1961

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Privet tovarish,

If I understand you correctly, you want a wireless Apple keyboard with cyrillic characters. As far as I know, no such keyboards exist. Apple has no stores or business in Russia. The best option is to buy stickers and place them on the keyboard. The apple keyboard has very simple and large keys, perfect for stickers.

I'm not have any fecking stickers!! I've had them before and they go all manky and yellow.

I bought the standard bluetooth previous model keyboard model No. A1016 with Cyrillic (and Latin, they all have them both) from an Apple Centre in Chelyabinsk, in the Urals so they did exist. And it's proper Apple kit, nothing dodgy. And now Leopard has full Russian menu's etc, I would have thought they new model keyb would be available to match.

Say 'NO' to keyboard stickers.....

zign

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
London
miloblithe, A pochemu u menya ne vosprinimaetsya russkyi na etom forume. Vydal prosto znaki voprosa.

armani

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
Привет всем, я просто по памяти пока пользуюсь, компьютеру ещё недели нет,iMac. А как эти наклейки, которые выше упомянуты, с линком? Может подскажите как заставить iTunes и Firefox читать русский шрифт, пишет всякие закорючки. Странно, те файлы которые я закачал с диска отображает нормально, я те которые скачал - нет. Я уже везде переискал, и шрифты устанавливал. Только я их в font book так и не вижу.

ArkabaS

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2004
The Moon
Привет всем, я просто по памяти пока пользуюсь, компьютеру ещё недели нет,iMac. А как эти наклейки, которые выше упомянуты, с линком? Может подскажите как заставить iTunes и Firefox читать русский шрифт, пишет всякие закорючки. Странно, те файлы которые я закачал с диска отображает нормально, я те которые скачал - нет. Я уже везде переискал, и шрифты устанавливал. Только я их в font book так и не вижу.

Hi,

I am writing in English because I do not write well in Russian (I moved to USA when I was 4 years old). I have the same problem with iTunes and Cyrillic. iTunes recognizes Cyrillic beautifully with modern ID3 tags. For example, if you manually change your song/artist names in iTunes using Cyrillic, iTunes will have no problem. With old ID3 tags in mp3s that were created with other programs, Cyrillic is usually just zakoruchki. You need to use some sort of batch ID3 tag program to upgrade your tags.

For system wide Russian/Cyrillic fonts, I am not sure if Mac OS X (specifically Finder) can read Cyrillic in file names. Regardless, you should use the official Apple Cyrillic fonts. They are on the Mac OS X Tiger install disk and should have been installed out of the box. Do not use random fonts from the internet, they will definitely not be recognized by the OS.

stek1961

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Hi,

I am writing in English because I do not write well in Russian (I moved to USA when I was 4 years old). I have the same problem with iTunes and Cyrillic. iTunes recognizes Cyrillic beautifully with modern ID3 tags. For example, if you manually change your song/artist names in iTunes using Cyrillic, iTunes will have no problem. With old ID3 tags in mp3s that were created with other programs, Cyrillic is usually just zakoruchki. You need to use some sort of batch ID3 tag program to upgrade your tags.

For system wide Russian/Cyrillic fonts, I am not sure if Mac OS X (specifically Finder) can read Cyrillic in file names. Regardless, you should use the official Apple Cyrillic fonts. They are on the Mac OS X Tiger install disk and should have been installed out of the box. Do not use random fonts from the internet, they will definitely not be recognized by the OS.

Moi drug, I have Leo 9A499 - Russian language is built into it like French and German, so all will be fine

There used to be Russian installs for iTunes etc on http://www.apple.ru but only for 10.3 ISTR, in any case wait for Leo, it's all there.

Spasibo Tvarishu Stevu, eto ya!

kidmaxie

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
Cyrillic Keyboard EASY!

Hey guys, I have a no brainer solution for those of you wishing to type fast in cyrillic without actually getting the keys mapped out on your keyboard. Go to apple's keyboards and choose Russian Phonetic instead of russian, then make shortcut keys for it (for example mine are Command+E or Command+R) and you're good to go. If you type fast in english without looking at the keyboard, you will be able in a few minutes to type in russian the same way, i.e. your letters R will be a russian R, N will be a russian N and so on. ? ???? ?? ?????? ?? ????? ??????????. ?????? ????? ????? ??? ????????? ??????? ????? ???? ? ? ? ? ?.?. ???? ??????.

driveparty

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2008
Russia / USA
There's no need to put any stickers on the keyboard. The better way is to engrave symbols with laser (this may be done with solid-state laser engraving machine, but not with CO2 one).
If you have a backlit keyboard (like mine on my MBP), laser will remove painted surface from the keys and they'll glow just like manufactured do.
Also solid-state lasers can engrave plastic / metallic keyboards with, but on plastics the resulting colors of the letters are semi-predictable. You should first try with very small symbols, like a point ("."), or comma (","). On metallic surfaces the result will be similar to iPod / iPhone personalisation from Apple store.
For keyboards with symbols "painted" over the keys there is another laser technique: special plastic film applied over the keys and welded on 'em with laser beam forms new letters on key's surface. Excess of film are removed, welded letters stay "for ever" :) This method require CO2 laser.
Usually symbols on plastic keyboards are made with the last technique.

Не надо клеить никаких наклеек, нужно сделать лазерную гравировку.
Там, где нужно прорезать буквы (клавиатуры с подсветкой), или "нарезать" прямо на пластике / металле / твердой краске (краску прорежет насквозь) нужно применять твердотельный лазер малой мощности (~10Вт).
Вторая техника - нанесение на поверхность специальной пленки, которая приваривается лазером к поверхности. Излишки пленки удаляют, приваренные буквы остаются навечно, т.к. пленка ОЧЕНЬ прочная. Этот медот осуществляется при помощи CO2 лазера.
Обычно на пластиковых клавиатурах символы нанесены именно таким образом.

trevis

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2008
Another way

Or another way is to ask somebody in Russia to buy you an Imac cyrillic keyboard
and send over or pick it up on your next trip to Russia.
The cost is 3000 Rub.

Apple100

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
Available online, at a ridiculous price...

I too have been looking for an English/Russian aluminium keyboard. Apparently Apple make them in China and Indonesia, and ship them only to Europe and Russia. I guess Europe means Eastern Europe because I can't find one in Western Europe. There is a mob in the US that apparently imports them from Europe and resells them at a ludicrous price of $249 ($299 with standrad shipping) for the MB167RSA:

http://www.russiankeyboards.com/geruenapwike.html

I have seen them advertised on mainly Ukranian Mac store pages, but I have e-mailed about 5 or 6 of them and received no response - either they won't or can't reply. I have also contacted Apple direct in Netherlands and they don;t know what I'm talking about - unfortunatley Apple have modelled their customer service on Microsoft (i.e. no cutomer service, period!).

Any further online store info would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

serega

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Seattle
I use "russian phonetic" option as second language, I think this is better option then pay 299.99 for a new keyboard. Got used to it, so easy.

Apple100

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
Where to order Russian keyboards (dual Rus/Eng keys)

For those interested, yes the phonetic Russian setting is great for occaissional use, but if you really need to use Russian characters a lot then you need the dual English/Russian keyboard. Here is the best place I found on the web to order one - good price, fast service and delivery, safe ordering (I did a bank transfer from NL to Lithuania):

http://www.itbankeurope.com/

Wireless Russian/English MB167RS/A (€98):
http://www.itbankeurope.com/MB167RS[2F]A_/

USB Russian/English MB110RS/A (€61):
http://www.itbankeurope.com/MB110RS[2F]A_/

Delivery was a bit steep - €20, but this was par for the course with most places (cheapest I think was €13, but the item price was higher so it evened out). Makes the total cost for the USB item about €80.

I found most other web places in Latvia, Lithuania and Ukraine had poor web sites, prices same or higher, and most importantly for me no English translation opn their pages. Strangely enough there were no suitable Russian online sites for these items.

Of course, it's been a few months and there may be other alternatives now. But if you need one of these keyboards give ITBankEurope a try - I was very happy with their sales, service and help.

Cheers! :cool:

Drago89

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2009
Huh

Doesn't your apple store/reseller offer a cyrillic keyboard ? Seems strange to me.At least here in Bulgaria we have them.Even the macbook/pro/air have cyrillic latters.If u have way to Bulgaria you can buy one :) Other way is as others mentioned to use phonetic but i don't like it much.

Apple100

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2008
Doesn't your apple store/reseller offer a cyrillic keyboard ? Seems strange to me.At least here in Bulgaria we have them.Even the macbook/pro/air have cyrillic latters.If u have way to Bulgaria you can buy one :) Other way is as others mentioned to use phonetic but i don't like it much.

Yes, I have just noticed that now the Dutch Apple site does in fact have the wired Aluminium keyboard (but not the bluetooth version) for €49.00 plus shipping, so I guess other Apple Euro sites have it now too:

http://store.apple.com/nl/product/MB110RS/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=NDQ0OTQ4OQ

This is a new addition, and in fact when I contacted Apple Europe some months ago they were absolutely no help, and the Apple stores and resellers in Netherlands all told me point blank that they had no Russian keyboard and they could not get one for me (the worst customer service I have encountered for years - it was like a flashback to the '80s or something :mad: ).

Glad to see Apple has finally made their keyboard available in other regions, reflecting the modern nature of our societies now, with far greater population mobility than ever before. So, save yourself some Euros and get the Russian keyboard from Apple, although I will be eternally grateful to ITBank in Lithuania (http://www.itbankeurope.com/) for being one of the few places capable of selling me a Russian Aluminium keyboard during the dark-times of late-2008. ;)

I would almost be tempted to go back there in gratitude and to screw over Apple for their blasé attitude - but as with any mega-corp it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Cheers!

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
This is a new addition, and in fact when I contacted Apple Europe some months ago they were absolutely no help, and the Apple stores and resellers in Netherlands all told me point blank that they had no Russian keyboard and they could not get one for me (the worst customer service I have encountered for years - it was like a flashback to the '80s or something :mad: ).

What did you expect? :rolleyes:

frunze

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Phonetic Russian keyboard for iPhone

Hi guys,
I am also writing in English because it's easier (originally I am from... you guessed it - Frunze). I just got an iPhone (3Gs - faster than a speeding... Frunze!) and although it gives me an option of a Russian keyboard, it's the Russian typewriter layout which I am not very familiar with. On my Mac, there's a phonetic version (A for A, Б for B, etc.) - can you please help me locate a phonetic Russian keyboard for the iPhone?

Thanks in advance!

verakot

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
U.S.A.
I know it's the wrong section but it's related to my new iMac purchase.

I got mine in store, hoping later to get the wireless mouse and keyb. I got my last keyb from Russia with Cyrillic as well as Latin charset. Anyone know where I can order one similar but obviously the new one!

Spacibo bolshoye!

You can get a real Apple Russian Keyboard USB or wireless from RussianKeyboards.com:

http://www.russiankeyboards.com/ruenkeforapm.html

It has both the Russian and English characters, basically made for Russian Apple keyboard layout which is slightly different from Windows CP-1251 (Russian keyboard layout).

Apple store UK are selling Wired Russian Keyboards for GBP 33.18 plus shipping. Perhaps you could set up a UK account and send one to yourself in the US as a present?

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB869RS/A?mco=NjAzNzg4OQ

Apple UK does not ship to the United States. The countries available for shipping from UK are located in Europe:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/campaigns/cross_border/

The only site I know in the US that sell Apple Russian Keyboards is RussianKeyboards.com.

johnyalacy

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
Hello, I also had this problem, but I found this App, it's much more easier now.
http://apps.isimpleness.com/translit/
Take care, Johny

Hi guys,
I am also writing in English because it's easier (originally I am from... you guessed it - Frunze). I just got an iPhone (3Gs - faster than a speeding... Frunze!) and although it gives me an option of a Russian keyboard, it's the Russian typewriter layout which I am not very familiar with. On my Mac, there's a phonetic version (A for A, Б for B, etc.) - can you please help me locate a phonetic Russian keyboard for the iPhone?

Thanks in advance!

verakot

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
U.S.A.
Hello, I also had this problem, but I found this App

This App is for iPod. You do not need this for iPhone/iPod/iPad since Apple has Russian Language support where you can just switch to another layout. Funny the youtube video actually showed the native Apple's Russian layout ;)

If you want to type in Russian on apple though, you might want to cover your Apple keyboard with stickers. Here is the site:

http://www.russianstickers.com

They also have non-transparent stickers with both Russian and English characters for MacBook and MacBook Pro etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.