Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seablue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
I've posted this before but didn't get any answers so I thought I'd try again :)
I have an eMac and Ibook. Both computers are on dial up at home. The ibook is actually quite fast and never crashes. The eMac is VERY slow and crashes all the time. What can I do? Will adding more memory help it?
I've repaired permissions, re-started it but didn't help it.

mrbolano

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
what speed is the eMac?
How much RAM has it got?
How full is the hard drive?
How long since you did a clean re-install of OS X?

seablue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
what speed is the eMac?
How much RAM has it got?
How full is the hard drive?
How long since you did a clean re-install of OS X?

The mac is... 800MHz, 384MB, bus speed-133MHz, where would I find the info for how full the HD is? I'm sure it's quite empty tho - I pretty much cleaned out everything about a month ago. Did a archive re-install because I kept getting kernel panics. Those are gone now after doing the re-install.
I don't have much stored at all. No 3rd party items. It's very basic.
It never used to be this slow that's why I don't buy the "emacs are slow". It's acting up lately.
Thanks for the help. :)

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Did you by chance upgrade OSX recently? Most people would recommend at least 512MB of ram, but anything less then 1GB may result in slow performance. Open up your HD, finder (at the very bottom) will show you how much space you have left, anything under 4GBs will cause "strange" performance issues in Tiger according to many.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
... crashes all the time

You have a problem. Could be hardware or software or both.

Thats about as much as we can say given the details provided.

384 Mb RAM is minimal for OS 10.1 - 10.2

For OSX 10.4 and .3 you really want 512 Mb plus.
The machine's maximum is 1 Gb with 2 x 512 Mb PC133 DIMMs.

However having 384 Mb RAM in and of itself would not cause slowness but not continual crashing. Something else is wrong.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
i have a 700MHz eMac with 1GB ram.

perfect for email and non-intense webbrowsing and aim.

i hope i can say the same when i hook up my 450mhz cube!

seablue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
... crashes all the time

You have a problem. Could be hardware or software or both.

Thats about as much as we can say given the details provided.

384 Mb RAM is minimal for OS 10.1 - 10.2

For OSX 10.4 and .3 you really want 512 Mb plus.
The machine's maximum is 1 Gb with 2 x 512 Mb PC133 DIMMs.

However having 384 Mb RAM in and of itself would not cause slowness but not continual crashing. Something else is wrong.

ok... I should have clarified better. It only crashes with one website that I frequent. It has alot of graphics and moving ads. It never crashed on that sight tho til just lately. all my other websites are fine.
If it's a hardware problem, what should I look for?? I've been planning to add more ram to it. I was planning to upgrade the RAM and update it with 10.4.
But if it's hardware -- I don't know.

seablue

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Then it is far more likely to be related to bad Java or Javascript code on that website that the browser can't handle.

More RAM can help,in general, but it is probably not the only problem on that site.

Can I fix that? If so, how? It works fine on the ibook. And I've got 34.33 GB available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.