Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonGough

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
Manchester, UK
I just found this great little app for importing avi & wmv encoded videos into your iTunes video library.

This means you can have all your movies in iTunes, and this lets you watch them all using Front Row!

I dunno if this has been posted before, but get this neat little app from here..

http://dettmer.maclab.org/movie2itunes.html

I hope that helps a lot of people out :)

Mugetsu

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
so the only way to get these "other" videos on itunes and on your ipod is to download something like this?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
so the only way to get these "other" videos on itunes and on your ipod is to download something like this?

Actually, this won't allow for play on iPod or iPhone. Just iTunes ... it relies on a trick to allow iTunes to play files using QT plugins. iTunes normally will only play QT native files (i.e. MP4s, etc). If you use this, you can create reference files that pull any video that Quicktime can play into iTunes without converting it. However, as the plugins do not work on the iPod or iPhone, you are still left with using iSquint or the like to actually convert the videos for those uses.

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Actually, you can play anything in Front Row with Quicktime plugins just by putting it in your Movies folder in your home directory.

Mugetsu

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
wait a minute...

then how do you get randomly downloaded videos from the net onto your ipod???

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Actually, you can play anything in Front Row with Quicktime plugins just by putting it in your Movies folder in your home directory.

FrontRow, yes. iTunes, no, as far as I know?

then how do you get randomly downloaded videos from the net onto your ipod???

If it's a downloaded MPEG-4 video file, you just drag it into iTunes and sync it over.

If it's a downloaded movie file of some other kind (windows formats, etc), you use a program like iSquint, VisualHub, ffmpegx, etc, to convert it and then use iTunes to sync it.

If it's a Youtube or similar video, you use a program like PodTube to convert it and use iTunes to sync it (or some of these services will create an MP4 file for you to download). :)

All in all you typically only need a couple of these converter apps even if you do a lot of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.