Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
Nice, but still would want to have it brand new, with the smell and so... but big price change.

Dan Peterson

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2007
Now that is awesome! As much as I'd like to get a brand-spanking-new one with $100 off that means I'll be able to order it like a month sooner than planned! :D

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
My friend just bought a refurb iPod and I thought that he bought it brand new until he told me. It looked pristine. If there was a problem like scratches with it I'm sure you could return it right away.

This will be my route with a $100 discount flying my way.

Now my contract just has to end.

33scottie33

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
New York
Well, at least Apple is being honest. They could just repackage them and sell as new like some manfacs do.

I bought a new Toshiba (checked the tape) from CC a few months ago and the screen was scratched up with fingerprints on it. Obviously not new.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Uhh I'm 99.9% sure that's illegal...
make that 100%.

Refurbs are generally units that are returned before being used (either unopened or literally showing not one sign of usage), or they are devices that fail the suite of stress tests that they have to get through to be certified to sell. My dad used to work for Dell, and they would put the machines on this "shaker" to simulate them being bounced around in their box and even being mildly dropped. I believe they run computer hardware/software tests after that. I would imagine that something similar is done with the iPhones. When a device fails any test the first time, they attempt to repair the problem, or just re-test it. If if passes the second time, they sell it as a refurb. I believe that unused returns also have to be re-tested.

daveschroeder

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2003
Madison, WI
I wouldn't buy one from the store, I would be to scared of it coming all scratched and broken.

When Apple sells refurbished iPods and iPhones, they come in a completely new enclosure, and sealed in the box, just like a brand new iPod or iPhone. They have their own 1 year warranty. As far as appearance and packaging, you really can't tell it's not brand new. Most of these will have come from the statistically small number of iPhones that may have been DOA, needed repairs, or had some other kind of service issue. Yes, it's refurbished and legally not new. But it's not going to come "all scratched and broken".

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
When Apple sells refurbished iPods and iPhones, they come in a completely new enclosure, and sealed in the box, just like a brand new iPod or iPhone. They have their own 1 year warranty. As far as appearance and packaging, you really can't tell it's not brand new. Most of these will have come from the statistically small number of iPhones that may have been DOA, needed repairs, or had some other kind of service issue. Yes, it's refurbished and legally not new. But it's not going to come "all scratched and broken".

Can you buy AppleCare for it?

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
$100 off is better than I was expecting. $399 for a 4GB phone is starting to tempt me. I really do dislike my S/E phone. what to do, what to do.... (rhetorical) :)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I would be willing to bet no one could tell the difference between a new and refurbished model. Both come in new packaging, no scratches, full warranty and operates exactly the same as a new one. This is an excellent savings for future iPhone users.

jon

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina
When Apple sells refurbished iPods and iPhones, they come in a completely new enclosure, and sealed in the box, just like a brand new iPod or iPhone. They have their own 1 year warranty.

Um, you might wanna rephrase that - all refurbished products only have 90 day warranty. Including the iPhone.

Scratch that- 90 day telephone support is what I saw. They have the 1 year limited warranty..

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
$100 off is better than I was expecting. $399 for a 4GB phone is starting to tempt me. I really do dislike my S/E phone. what to do, what to do.... (rhetorical) :)

You dislike your S/E?! Why?! Beyond the iPhone I think Sony Ericsson makes the best mobile phones. Even better than the iPhone for some folks.

Quick question: Does Apple Canada also sell refurbs? If they're as good as you say I might jump on one for my next Apple product.

MDiddy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
I would be willing to bet no one could tell the difference between a new and refurbished model. Both come in new packaging, no scratches, full warranty and operates exactly the same as a new one. This is an excellent savings for future iPhone users.

jon

Refurbs come in plain brown boxes from Apple. Not original packaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.