Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foxnl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Installed bootcamp and Windows XP SP2 exactly like the guide says. All went like a breeze. After finally installing the Windows Mac Drivers and rebooting I am greeted with the XP screen. However it is not responding to any input, no (wired) keyboard and no (bluetooth) mouse. When pressing the power button it shuts down nicely.

My config:
New iMac (20" 2,4Ghz), 3Gb mem, wired apple keyboard (new flat model) and bluetooth mighty mouse.

Anyone who knows a workaround for this? I tried starting up windows in safe mode, but it is still unresponsive to keyboard input.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
So the keyboard worked before you installed the drivers? It sounds like it must have if you could set up your user account etc but it's worth just confirming that :)

foxnl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Before installing the mac drivers everything seemed ok. After installing these drivers and rebooting the keyboard did not respond anymore.

Must be some kind of driver problem since I can press F8 at startup to boot into safe mode. Only after the GUI is displayed the KB does not respond anymore.

I think i'll go and retry and install the mac drivers one at a time.

vistafanboi

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
Before installing the mac drivers everything seemed ok. After installing these drivers and rebooting the keyboard did not respond anymore.

Must be some kind of driver problem since I can press F8 at startup to boot into safe mode. Only after the GUI is displayed the KB does not respond anymore.

I think i'll go and retry and install the mac drivers one at a time.

Before you do that, consider this:

At present, the Apple keyboard drivers for Windows supplied with the latest version of Boot Camp (1.4) do NOT work with the newest Apple keyboard.

However, I don't quite understand why the NON-Apple-specific keys aren't working. They should be even without drivers. If all are having this problem, you must wait until Apple releases Windows drivers for the newest Apple keyboards.

Sorry, friend.

I suggest using a non-Apple keyboard with Windows, anyway. Any cheap wired USB keyboard/mouse works just fine under Windows. Drivers are not necessary with any wired Windows USB keyboards/mice (except for "special" keys, which almost always require the drivers supplied by the manufacturer).

For that matter, the older white Apple Pro keyboards work just fine OOB in Windows, and do not require drivers (unless the keyboard is wireless, of course.) Again, none of the "special" Apple-only keys will work in Windows without Apple Windows drivers installed, and currently, the drivers supplied with BC 1.4 do NOT enable the special Apple keys under Windows. If the rest don't work, Apple has gone and created a non-standard wired USB keyboard. Why they would do that I do not know. Hopefully, the problem will be fixed soon by Apple.

VistafanBoi
:)

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
i have kinda a similar problem with my mac pro that just randomly started-i simply get no response from my keyboard at log on screen-nothing.using a wired mouse does nothing, even with the wireless dongle unplugged. if I hit a few buttons, i get a memory address error-

Since i have no real data of any kind on there im inclined to get rid of it and re do it once the real version of boot camp comes next week.

but can anyone give me advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.