Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sherthang

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
Time-based update?

Perhaps there is something in the update that will be activated at a given time? Sorta like how "add to web gallery" just popped up the day steve announced it? Remember, in his Q & A after the last press announcement h said that there would be AppleTV news soon. Perhaps something linked with that?!

gdesalvo@umail.

macrumors member
May 1, 2007
It still doesn't fix the "can't sync my Camera Roll iPhone photos" problem. Gheeez! :mad:

It did fix the problem ending calls/bug when calls fail that leaves your screen stuck. The reception bar seems a little snappier...but that may just be an impression. overall my iphone seems a little better at making calls from a software point of vue. call quality/volume seem unchanged.

Phone still works. Just seems snappier when dialing menus. the dial tone still isnt properly fixed imo

Iphone Ping and wireless speed is improved SUBSTANTIALLY. i get 2mbit over wireless now!

jmingin

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Just completed. Took about 3 minutes. No modifications on my phone. Wipes out saved passwords in Safari so it is clearing cookies. Tested the wifi and it is coming in at +1600 kbps - fastest result I've seen by about 50%. Edge is about average (209 kbps)

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
When taking screenshots of just one window, press command+shift+4 and then tap the space bar. Click on the window you want to take a snapshot of.:)

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
So far I'm not getting the "Load XX more messages" or 2,143,794 unread messages. Not that I always did get these, but it would be swell to be rid of them with this update.

LOL. Crap. As soon as I posted this, I deleted an email that was in the trash (which seems to be what triggers the message(s)) and got "Load 25 more messages". C'mon Apple, you can do it...

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This would be great if I could get my iTunes to recognize my iPhone. I have not been able to sync since the 1.0.1 update. With no help from Apple. Maybe a restore then this update will fix it.

parkds

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2003
Also added ringtones with iPhoneRingtoneMaker. The install went perfectly and the ringtones are still there.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
So far not see much in the way of obvious "bug fixes". The bottom nav bar in Safar is shorter in landscape mode, and the 2 is black when you have 2 windows open. Seems like a mistake.

It's sad that the majority of update chatter is related to whether or not people's hacks remain intact. Sure would be nice if there were some actual new software features to discuss.

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
same here, sigh, i also had to perform a restore, it gave me an error when trying to update. this is frustrating! my phone isn't modded.

Couple of important tips when updating (and syncing)

When performing an update, make sure the sync chord is securely fastened, and make sure the connector is clean on the phone side from lint, dust, etc. Also make sure the phone is in a stable spot, and don't move the chord during the update. Don't make calls, or answer them during the update. (someone here posted something about a restore needed after making a call during an update... that's just asking for it) The most often point of communication failure is at the connector. Make sure it's seated very well. Basically, don't touch the phone at all, no movement, during the update. I know this sounds paranoid, but I've been syncing Apple products since the Newton in 1993, and this makes a big difference on your success rate during a SW update. (and syncs)

Hope that helps.

And a note on the h.264 announcement from Adobe. This won't affect any content that is already on the web not encoded with h.264. There were some posts regarding this meaning something for the iPhone... it doesn't. It's just a great codec that is being more and more adopted. DirecTV, BluRay, HD-DVD all use h.264, so Adobe is just being added to a long list of others. It's a great codec. I'm glad to see it being adopted in Flash. I've always joked about the super poor quality of Flash videos like Youtube for the amount of bandwidth that they use.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Just completed. Took about 3 minutes. No modifications on my phone. Wipes out saved passwords in Safari so it is clearing cookies. Tested the wifi and it is coming in at +1600 kbps - fastest result I've seen by about 50%. Edge is about average (209 kbps)

Interesting, the update did not clear my cookies.

wannger27

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2007
ArsTechnica lists the update as 92 MB, MacRumors as only 3.7 MB, which one is correct? Pretty large difference, 3.7 MB sounds more likely.

The 3.7 MB one is for just updating your iPhone. The 92 MB one is for restoring it.

Malamutt

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
of course I have a modded phone.

Now it want's to do a Restore and Update. Bad news is I am having issues all of a sudden downloading from the itunes server.

Anyone else?

:apple:Malamutt

conshok26

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
I haven't had any crashes with the iPod is going and I'm using Safari. Maybe that was one of the bug fixes. For my wifi speed it seems about the same as before which isn't bad to begin with. Is it just me or does Safari load the page pretty quick and the status bar is almost complete but then it hangs there for a little bit.

aphexii

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2006
Couple of important tips when updating (and syncing)

When performing an update, make sure the sync chord is securely fastened, and make sure the connector is clean on the phone side from lint, dust, etc. Also make sure the phone is in a stable spot, and don't move the chord during the update. Don't make calls, or answer them during the update. (someone here posted something about a restore needed after making a call during an update... that's just asking for it) The most often point of communication failure is at the connector. Make sure it's seated very well. Basically, don't touch the phone at all, no movement, during the update. I know this sounds paranoid, but I've been syncing Apple products since the Newton in 1993, and this makes a big difference on your success rate during a SW update. (and syncs)

Hope that helps.

Just a heads up, it's spelled cord.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
since there don't seem to be many changes... i'm not gonna update for a while. i finally got all the hacks working i want and since classes have just started, i don't have the time to restore, update, and redo all the hacks/mods.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
share url?

There is a share url button in safari, was that there before? :eek:

NextWave

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Dayton OH
search contacts?

From the people who brought us Sherlock and Spotlight- still no way to search contacts? And you are all whining about speaker volume? I agree it's weak- but, how hard would it be to add a search tool? Need some support here people- add search to contacts now!

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
pay no attention to MacDailyNews 'editorial' - they are morons.

And speculating that the addition of h.264 means flash is coming to the iPhone is nothing more than flawed logic. All it means is that Adobe is ditching the antiquated On2 codec for the scalable- far superior H.264. That's it!

And as a video producer/flash developer, this is great news, nonetheless.

There's a little more to it than that. One of the reasons given for not supporting Flash initially was that it would drain the battery faster. Now that Flash will support H.264, that issue goes away. It's not rumor or speculation, just a logical conclusion that the iPhone will now support it.

ericson1149

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2007
Los Angeles
cameral roll fix

It still doesn't fix the "can't sync my Camera Roll iPhone photos" problem. Gheeez! :mad:

-----------

You have a corrupted photo or photo-link. There's a fix on this on the Apple Discussion Board. I helped a friend of mine fix the same problem. Basically, plug-in your iPhone, in iTunes click Photos (tab), and UN-CHECK all film rolls (including Camera Roll), then click Sync. After Sync, go back to the Photos tab and CHECK the film rolls you want to sync, click Sync once again. This fixed my friend's iPhone. If this doesn't work for you, then you can isolate the problem by checking-on one film roll at a time. It's probably best to check the most recent addition first. Unfortunately, the only way of fixing this problem is to delete that one offending photo. This process can be very time consuming. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.