Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFTER 1.02 do you have problems using Safari and the iPod functions at the same time?

• Yes

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • No

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters

JC4

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
As I've posted in a couple other threads. Yea, problem still exists. I called apple support. They're treating it like a hardware issue. They're sending me a loaner phone, so I can send mine in for repair.

I still think it's software, but something needs to be done. 2 updates and the problem remains, leaving me unable to listen to tunes and surf. So, by sending it in I'll either get a fixed phone, or at a minimum escalating the issue with apples software techs. If it's a known software problem they are working on, then they should have communicated it to support so they wouldn't try to repair my phone.

Either way, it's very little effort on my part, and after I get the loaner it won't take long to figure out if it's my surfing habits, or hardware that makes my phone crash iPod so frequently.

So, I suggest everyone with the iPod crash do the same. Call support, and have them fix your phone. Just whining here will NOT get the problem fixed. We've all tried that the last 2 months, and 2 updates.

NYCphone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
I would not personally exchange the phone when it is most likely fixed in software; you may get a bigger problem on the replacement and continue to have the ipod issue until a software update comes out. I am confident that apple monitors the forum here and if enough people say there is a problem a fix would hopefully not be far off.

JC4

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
I would not personally exchange the phone when it is most likely fixed in software; you may get a bigger problem on the replacement and continue to have the ipod issue until a software update comes out. I am confident that apple monitors the forum here and if enough people say there is a problem a fix would hopefully not be far off.

When I see people reporting they never have iPod crashes(or safari crashes). And, Apple tech support hasn't heard of it(I called in twice). I'm not so confident they are working on it, or that it is absolutely a software problem. That's why I waited, and tried 1.0.1. I kept waiting, 1.0.2 still didn't fix it. It's costing me NOTHING to let them see my phone.

I will get my same phone back if they fix it, a new phone if they can't. Whats the problem with that? If my new phone has a different issue(I doubt it), I'll send it in. At all times, I get a loaner, so I'm never without an iPhone. It's your choice of course, but I don't agree with your reason for not sending it in.

Sending it in is the only way to put some pressure on Apple. If it's a bug, then it's pretty silly to claim the best iPod ever, oh, but don't surf while listening to tunes. And, we've had two updates and this major flaw isn't addressed. I'm just hoping it turns out to be hardware, and it gets fixed, but I know it's a long-shot.

NYCphone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
I will get my same phone back if they fix it, a new phone if they can't. Whats the problem with that? If my new phone has a different issue(I doubt it), I'll send it in. At all times, I get a loaner, so I'm never without an iPhone. It's your choice of course, but I don't agree with your reason for not sending it in.

What if you don't get your phone back but a "new" one and it has, for example, a pixel problem. You try to return this phone and Apple says its normal. This is why I don't want to risk sending my phone in especially since it looks like a software issue. I have to admit, however, that I can't explain the significant number of people that are reporting no issues (unless they are only surfing for a few minutes at a time). It also seems that if you wait for the page to load before scrolling, the error rarely happens - perhaps this is how they use the phone?

JC4

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
My loaner iPhone is here. This morning I received the shipping notice, saying it shipped today, and was on its way. 2 business days. A few hours later it arrived :)

Apple packages the loaner very well. Its brand new iPhone. It even came with a paperclip to open the Sim door :) Syncing now. I'll test it later today, and see if iPod crashes in the usually way.

I hope it doesn't, but have doubts.

To your concerns about getting a replacement phone with bad pixels, and them not taking it back. I'm not worried about it. Apple seems to be working very hard to make their iPhone customers happy. IF I end up with a new phone to address the problem, I am very confident it will be a good phone, or apple will handle it for me.

JohnC

JC4

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
Well, that didn't take long. :( Its not hardware. In under 20 minutes of surfing(wifi) iPod crashed. After the first crash it wont last more than a few seconds(of safari use).

I had 3 tabs open, and frequently switched pages after selecting a link, being aggressive to aggravate the problem. After the first crash all it takes is reading an already loaded page to re-crash iPod. The problem surfaces with less aggressive initial usage, it just takes longer, so please don't tell me I'm expecting too much.

I still urge people with the issue to report it via Apple support. 2 updates, and they have NOT fixed the problem. They need pressure to make this fundamental capability stable.

I'll give them a call and see if they still want me to send my old phone in, but form a diagnostic stand point, the new phone loaded with my data should be just as useful.

JohnC

Edit: An update. Just spent nearly 1hr on the phone with Apple support. There was nothing in his database to indicate this is a know, being worked on, issue. He had me try a few things I hadn't already tried, and I was still able to repeat the iPod crash while surfing. In fact the entire phone crashed(black w/ apple-logo) during some of our testing(this is the brand new loaner phone). So, as I've said all along, it doesn't look like Apple has been working on this issue. I (or others) should have called this in with version 1.0.0. Whining on the forums has not brought this to Apples attention.

JC4

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
Another half hour on the phone. Prior to the returned call I restored the loaner phone, just for fun<g>. When support called we tried various setting things, and proceeded to do my test(music + safari). iPod still crashed. We even tried using iTunes purchased vs non-iTunes songs, simple web pages vs forums. All results were the same. I for the life of me cant figure out why there are people that can successfully surf while listening to music.

The issue is being escalated to engineering. I'm to receive a call tomorrow morning with the status, and which phone to return, and maybe other things to try.

If this results in a fix, you people with the iPod crashing issue owe me. This is a lot of time on my part helping Apple trouble shoot this. I just hope its worth while, and I can actually use my phone as intended/designed.

JohnC

JC4

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
The lack of response to this thread leaves me thinking no one cares, but here's an update anyway.

It took Apple Tech support over the weekend to find out it's a known issue. Being worked on, but no ETA, and no temp fix(except resetting the phone). So, I'm shipping the loaner back, and hanging on to my phone.

The tech guy was good to work with, and he did everything he could. But, I'm disappointed in Apple. For starters this is such a fundamental function of the iPhone, how could they let this bug go unchecked for two updates no less. Then, they try to hide the issue, and don't even share the info with their tech support. I spent a few hours on the phone helping prove an issue they already knew about. A little communication would have saved me a bunch of time, and them money(loaner, time, shipping...).

At least I now know the people who keep telling me the iPhone works perfectly are full of !%$*. They are either lying, or really don't do much surfing while listening to tunes. I can reproduce this issue so quickly, now on two phones, its irrational to think anyones phone is working perfectly. So, FAN-boys, quit lying, it isn't helping anyone. I like Apple products, and buy a lot of them, but a bug is a bug, and there is nothing wrong with pointing them out, and communicating it to Apple and others.

JohnC

mdzwolf

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2005
I am having this issue as well. With the 1.0.1 update I was able to browing the web and listen to music without too much of an issue. Sometimes the iPod would crash but not often. Now after the 1.0.2 update I cannot listen to music and surf the web at the same time either via Edge or Wifi at all. The iPod crashed within less then 30 secs. Already tried a restore still having the same problem.

Boakes

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2007
iPod/Safari crashing

I've been reading about the blame on "bad music" from Limewire and others, I think that grasping for an easy answer. I'm getting crashes with nothing but Podcasts on my iPhone.

The folks at the Genius Bar in Chicago, along with everyone else, say it's a software issue and returning my iPhone won't fix it. They suggested trying the restore in disk mode. Still crashes.

I like my iPhone a lot, but miss being able to play music without crashes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.