Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Midgetinabikini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
running OSX 10.4.10, macbook pro 17" 2.33 c2d, 4 usb bus in system profiler, 3 of them running only in 12Mb, the 4th is High-speed Bus running at 480Mb and the built-in isight is connected to it.

what to do? how can it happend? i saw the problem when i connected external USB drive (160Gb sata drive) and i worked slow like my dead horse!

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built In USB
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBUHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x27c8
PCI Revision ID: 0x0002
PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
Bus Number: 0x1d

Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad:

Version: 0.13
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Computer
Product ID: 0x021b
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Computer, Inc.)

USB Bus:

PCI Device ID: 0x27cb
Bus Number: 0x7d

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Version: 19.65
Manufacturer: Apple, Inc.
Product ID: 0x8205

USB Bus:

PCI Device ID: 0x27ca
Bus Number: 0x5d

IR Receiver:

Version: 1.10
Manufacturer: Apple Computer, Inc.
Product ID: 0x8240

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x27cc
Bus Number: 0xfd

Built-in iSight:

Version: 1.84
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Micron
Product ID: 0x8501

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The input devices, Bluetooth, and IR Receiver don't need to use high speed USB.

Could you plug in your hard drive and see what connection it gets in System Profiler?

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Just plug in an ipod and try to transfer an album to it. If it takes a few minutes, it is usb 2. If it takes 20 minutes, it is USB 1.1. If you really have a MB Pro, it will transfer very quickly.

Midgetinabikini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
the harddrive, the HD is in external vipower sata-usb, he's connecting to the first USB Bus, slower one.

USB to Serial-ATA bridge:

Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk3
Version: c6.83
Manufacturer: Sunplus Technology Inc.
OS9 Drivers: No
Product ID: 0x0c15
Serial Number: HDS722516V VN6D3ECDFGDSGD
Vendor ID: 0x04fc

the ipod is connect to same port, but it shows in the higher speed bus with the isight, and up to 480Mb.

the HD is for sure USB2, and it worked as usb before. i'm now looking for the product info for you guys. here is the the product
http://en.vipower.com/products01_01.php?ID=99

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
All of the USB connections on the MacBook Pro are USB 2.0. Their connection speed ultimately lies in what is connected to them.

The external ports should still be reporting 480 Mbps when connected to a USB 2.0 device at High Speed.

Midgetinabikini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
All of the USB connections on the MacBook Pro are USB 2.0. Their connection speed ultimately lies in what is connected to them.

The external ports should still be reporting 480 Mbps when connected to a USB 2.0 device at High Speed.

but it wont, and not only it's reporting 12Mb, it works really really slow.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
the harddrive, the HD is in external vipower sata-usb, he's connecting to the first USB Bus, slower one.

USB to Serial-ATA bridge:

Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk3
Version: c6.83
Manufacturer: Sunplus Technology Inc.
OS9 Drivers: No
Product ID: 0x0c15
Serial Number: HDS722516V VN6D3ECDFGDSGD
Vendor ID: 0x04fc

the ipod is connect to same port, but it shows in the higher speed bus with the isight, and up to 480Mb.

the HD is for sure USB2, and it worked as usb before. i'm now looking for the product info for you guys. here is the the product

some usb wires are 1.1 and others are 2.0

test the wire on another comp and see if the hd/wire are working at 2.0

Midgetinabikini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006

test the wire on another comp and see if the hd/wire are working at 2.0

the usb cable is usb2, tested. the eHD is usb2, test too. only in the macbook pro it works like usb1.1

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Also note that the hardware that is being connected to the USB 2.0 port is designed to run at USB 2.0. If the hardware is old, it may be been designed to run at 1.1, hence the slow transfer speed despite being plugged into USB 2.0 port.

Midgetinabikini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Also note that the hardware that is being connected to the USB 2.0 port is designed to run at USB 2.0. If the hardware is old, it may be been designed to run at 1.1, hence the slow transfer speed despite being plugged into USB 2.0 port.

dude....

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Ok, so let me phrase this as an update so everyone understands what is going on, and OP please correct me if I'm wrong.

He has a Macbook Pro. He has a couple USB 2.0 Devices that are USB 2.0 Complient and use USB 2.0 Complient Cables. The problem is, when he connects them to his Mac, they are limited to USB 1.0 (1) speeds. On his hardware specs it says that they aren't running at full speed.

There is nothing wrong with his devices as he has tried them on another computer and they worked just fine. So we now know it's related to his Mac.

Now here are a few things to try out. It is to my understanding that USB 1.1 does not put out power like firewire or usb 2.0 (I dunno if this is correct or not) But if this is a USB powered device it should come up in the system profile if it is being power, IE this will show some USB 2.0 life, but not the full speed. If it does not show up at all, then there is more wrong with the USB 2.0 port and it might be a software issue.

My advice is to make a new account and see if it works from there. If it does not work, then take it into apple and show them the system profile and bring along the devices that are having problmes as they can test those devices on the computers in the store. There is probably a problem with your motherboard.

RoadieJodie

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007

Completely and utterly wrong. It is common knowledge that there is no such thing as USB 1.0,1.1,2.0 cables. All USB cables are backwards compatible, though some may not be of the same quality and thus take a performance hit.

fwhh

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2004
Berlin, Germany
First of all, you shouldn't get confuse by what the system proflier is telling you. The 4 entries "USB-Bus" don't refer directly to the connectors on your mbp. Any 480Mbs device, connected to any USB Port will show under "USB Highspeed Bus" (I hope this is the right title, as I'm on a german OS X version).
I would try to do a PMU reset, as this solved a USB problem for me lately.
Check at
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319-en
for instructions.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
and again, it used to work much faster and in 480Mb. also, the tech spec says it's 480Mb device.

So, when it's the only thing connected directly to the computer, what does System Profiler tell you?

I know things happen but if your iPod is showing 480 Mbps and your drive is showing 12 Mbps, I'm going to suspect the drive or cable is faulty.

If you're using a USB hub of any sort, don't connect to that, please connect directly from the hard drive to the computer and let us know what System Profiler reports.

Midgetinabikini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
So, when it's the only thing connected directly to the computer, what does System Profiler tell you?

I know things happen but if your iPod is showing 480 Mbps and your drive is showing 12 Mbps, I'm going to suspect the drive or cable is faulty.

If you're using a USB hub of any sort, don't connect to that, please connect directly from the hard drive to the computer and let us know what System Profiler reports.

the only thing connect to the computer is the eHD, directly, not hub.
in vista system (not apple) it works fine. that means the problem is not with the drive or cable.
other devices, like the ipod, works fine, so the problem is not in the MBP hardware.

PMU reset didnt worked.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
the only thing connect to the computer is the eHD, directly, not hub.
in vista system (not apple) it works fine. that means the problem is not with the drive or cable.
other devices, like the ipod, works fine, so the problem is not in the MBP hardware.

PMU reset didnt worked.

There are two things that make sense:

1. The interface board is overheating or has overheated
  2. The interface board needs a firmware update because it's slightly off specification
I don't believe it's overheating because that would cause intermittent problems and it would likely be fine when cold and fail on Vista when hot.

I wondered about their special USB 2.0 seal and if they couldn't use the seal that I've always seen on certified products.

Anyway, I'm out of ideas.

otispunkmeyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Middlesbrough UK
do macs have a bios?

i remember having to set USB to "hi-Speed" in the bios for my MSI mother board ages ago

i had choice of USB1.1, full speed, and hi-speed. something like 11Mbps, 12Mbps then 480Mbps

but i dont think macs have something similar to like Phoenix Bios or AMI bios do they?

Midgetinabikini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
There are two things that make sense:

1. The interface board is overheating or has overheated
  2. The interface board needs a firmware update because it's slightly off specification
I don't believe it's overheating because that would cause intermittent problems and it would likely be fine when cold and fail on Vista when hot.

I wondered about their special USB 2.0 seal and if they couldn't use the seal that I've always seen on certified products.

Anyway, I'm out of ideas.

as i said, both hardware works fine, but not togther.
i think, by now, it's another problem like the wireless problem that 10.4.10 gave me and few others. this is not why i bought apple computer....

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Do you know anybody else who has a Mac? Can you try it on their machines? If it works there, can you drop by an Apple store to get your computer checked?

Midgetinabikini

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2006
Do you know anybody else who has a Mac? Can you try it on their machines? If it works there, can you drop by an Apple store to get your computer checked?

dude...i said it works well on other computers.

and we dont have apple store in israel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.