Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
I use a pair of ultimate ears super fi 3's.

Nice, me too. I have sf3's for the iPod going to work and back on the train, and some grado SR-80s for when I have the time to enjoy the music. Both are great sounding and not to expensive. In fact!
iPodTrain.jpg
And sitting on my desk from a while back:
My_Laptop_Setup.jpg

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Akg 501

akgk501002.jpg

Couldn't live without 'em since ten years or so! Extremely light (230 grammes) and comfortable wear. Crystal clear and pleasing sound. Impressive smooth and very well done basses.

Made for people who like to be able to hear some background noise while listening to music. Sold out and out of stock for some months now.

Info + some tech specs:
http://ornec.com/product/GB/AKG_K-501/

More info in German language:
http://www.hifi-regler.de/shop/akg/akg_k_501.php?SID=9f855e7f5e0828f8b98302ff50199ab8

Opinion that I can follow mostly in head-fi forum:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpost.php?p=368249&postcount=90

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
California
Just got them and they are great.

Kind of big and have a long cord but Good sound.

Grado sr80 they are about $100 but people on the internet say that they sound as good as like $400 headphones

you can also get the sr60 for less.

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
Grado's an excellent choice

I had the SR80's before i upgraded to the RS-2's, but then I "downgraded" to the SR225. The RS-2's cost nearly twice as much, but the audio quality didn't justify the price in my opinion.

I'll post some pics of my headphones later today

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pro's:

Have you tried the reverse mod? Back when I had the UE S.f 5's, I switched the left and right channel cables and inserted the IEM's backwards. It resulted in a fuller sound, better fit, and a slimmer profile. You should try it some time.

attachment.php

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
My collection of headphones (click the pics for bigger versions)

Current:

Grado SR225:

Sennheiser HD25-1:

Westone UM2:

Past:

Grado RS-2:

Beyerdynamic DT770-80 Pro:

Sennheiser HD650:

Grado SR80:

Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro:

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
My collection of headphones (click the pics for bigger versions)

Nice collection. Can you compare the rest against the SR-80s?

Do you use an amp?

I sure wish I had the time and cash to back to back test all of those headphones. I'm still leaning towards some AKG 701's ... but I'm interested in all of the ones you have.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Akg K 701

I'm still leaning towards some AKG 701's ...

So get 'em! I have the AKG K 501 for more than ten years (description and photo above) now. They are very often and busy in use - working and sounding like at the first day. The sound is reference class in almost all genres - mine is from classical/concert hall to electronic/ambient/trance. I am using them for music and video production too. I am working at TV and radio studios and all the sound engineers have AKG's on.

They are huge (not heavy) but the system with the self-balancing leather band is genious. After 30 seconds you've forgotten that you have headphones on! No pressure at all for hours! Even if you're wearing eyeglasses. You can dance with them as far the cable reaches but don't shake your head too much. Shake other parts of the body maybe ;-)

AKG K 701

image1170945caeee219e33.jpg
image1170145bf837ab0a51.jpg
image1170145bf843bb06c6.jpg

Large views of those manufacturer's photos:
http://www.akg.com/picture.php?txt=...k2/pspic/hires/33/Image___K_45caeede3e8fc.jpg
http://www.akg.com/picture.php?txt=...k2/pspic/hires/47/Image___K_45bf8375ba7ab.jpg
http://www.akg.com/picture.php?txt=...k2/pspic/hires/98/Image___K_45bf84373dbd1.jpg

Manufacturer's info:
http://www.akg.com/personal/cproducts/powerslave,id,911,pcategory,3,nodeid,11,_language,EN.html

Greetings from Vienna, Austria!

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
Haha, I didn't like any of the aftermarket adapters for my Shure E2c's -> iPhone, so I did a little "modding". :D Works flawlessly :cool:

dsc00312yl1.jpg

img0005do1.jpg

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
I love these headphones! Nicest ones I've ever owned

The Sony MDR-V700's will break on you in about a year and a half or two. The swivel starts to crack, and when it does they won't last too much longer. I have two pairs, both with duct tape holding them together :) Don't get me wrong, they're great headphones, especially for DJing, but Sony really needs to make them out of a light metal so they don't break. But then I guess people wouldn't have a reason to buy new pairs...

I think Im leaning towards getting some AKG K701's for music production, but Im still not sure what brand to go with for DJing...

Marley

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
Michigan
The Sony MDR-V700's will break on you in about a year and a half or two. The swivel starts to crack, and when it does they won't last too much longer. I have two pairs, both with duct tape holding them together :) Don't get me wrong, they're great headphones, especially for DJing, but Sony really needs to make them out of a light metal so they don't break. But then I guess people wouldn't have a reason to buy new pairs...

I think Im leaning towards getting some AKG K701's for music production, but Im still not sure what brand to go with for DJing...

I read about all of those problems in various reviews online before buying them in summer '05, but I decided to get them anyway because I'm very good at taking care of electronics. I figured that if I was careful, I wouldn't have any problems , and I haven't so far (knock on wood). It's my brother who always ends up breaking things, which is why he hasn't touched my headphones:p

Warped1

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2005
No highs? No lows? Must be Bose!

Funny, I say All highs; All lows; Must be blows. Too me they have no mids.

I'm in the market for some noise cancelling phones for air travel. I travel about 60% and am tired of not being able to hear a movie or turning my podcasts up to an unhealth sound with my buds. Can someone recommend something other than the overpriced bose?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Funny, I say All highs; All lows; Must be blows. Too me they have no mids.

That was what things were like years ago with Bose. Loads of mids, nothing else, as they used mediocre quality one-way designs, which didn't produce any lows or highs. Things are of course different now, loads of bass, loads of treble, and nothing in the middle (which is the most important frequency range).

jlanuez

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2006
USA
Bose QC3 & Shure MPA

I can now use my Bose QC3's with my iPhone with this adapter from SHURE...

The cord is extra long, and you have to get used to not hearing your own voice well while speaking, and lastly if you are in a noisy environment - you hear good because you have the noise canceling headphones on but your caller can hear all the background noise. Not ideal - but I'm glad I can use the QC3's with my iPhone!

Attachments

• QuietComfort3_1.jpg
    QuietComfort3_1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 278
  • site_img_pa_mpa_m.jpg
    site_img_pa_mpa_m.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 6,989
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.