Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
Yeah, in this story at PC World, OS X gets a full compliment of 5 points if hacked!

Rather than focusing on the amount of defacement, the Defacers Challenge is set up to reward the skill of malicious hackers who can compromise sites. The contest targets servers running nonstandard or less frequently used operating systems like the Apple Macintosh and such Unix variants as IBM AIX and Hewlett-Packard HP-UX.

Contest organizers have even set up a Web site that outlines the rules of the game. It provides a point system for compromised machines and spells out guidelines for what counts as valid defacement. Windows servers count for 1 point, while HP-UX and Macintosh servers count for 5.

Not saying that this any good or anything, but its kinda cool that we get props by the hacker community :D.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, it also says a lot that you get 5 points for a Macserver :D

Anyone know the website? I'd love to follow the results....

D

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Well, it also says a lot that you get 5 points for a Macserver :D

Anyone know the website? I'd love to follow the results....

D

The website was brought down because they apparently broke the Terms of Service... but it was

defacers-challenge.com

which is stupid because .com is already totally tight with restrictions ...

*MrMacMan will not be taking part of this event, though I know somepeople who will...

They are already 'preparing'... but they might not acually do it currently there is alot of FUD going around about how people will get 'points' and who is keeping record... scoring... time to start... etc.

Go to an underground IRC channel ... :rolleyes:

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
One thing it is going to mean for me is alot of updates on the servers I maintain. I guess this will be a good excuse to update the web servers with fixes.
I just wish they wouldn't have picked the first scheduled weekend I had off in a month. Wish the script kiddies would get a life.... (No offence to the guys you know MrMacMan. Well Yeah kinda. :) and tell them I called them Script Kiddies.. :D)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Stelliform
(No offence to the guys you know MrMacMan. Well Yeah kinda. :) and tell them I called them Script Kiddies.. :D)

haha, they are legit man.

I don't need to go into details but they have majorly messed up some places.

meh...

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Sorry to all hackers prior to this post.

Please, do something other than hacking, it may be fun to bring sites down and cause trouble for them but, c'mon...

And I don't mean to stereo type anybody but you have made a pretty bad reputation for yourself...

I'm tempted to say "Get some friends, read a book, turn off ya computer".

Do I really have the power to say this, I'm on these forums :D

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Did you guys see the link on the same page about colleges teaching hacking as an ffort by Microsoft to help new software engineers write more secure code (because they're definitely the experts in this area). I thought that was really funny.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
Originally posted by Zeke
Did you guys see the link on the same page about colleges teaching hacking as an ffort by Microsoft to help new software engineers write more secure code (because they're definitely the experts in this area). I thought that was really funny.

That's probably why they only get 1 point per site down...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The school where I attend classes has "Internetworking security" which is a class about securing your servers against attacks. However, part of the class involves testing your safeguarding by hacking.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
i really despise hacking other people's computers but with
500mb of hosting
webmail
email forward (limitless)
Domain Name (that YOU choose).
as the prize for defacing the most websites it sounds irresistably good :(

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by übergeek

as the prize for defacing the most websites it sounds irresistably good :(

But that prize isn't so hard to setup yourself. Stock Macs running OS X can do that with a little work. (Far less than the hacking would require.) And do you really need all of that bandwidth? Not for a piddly little site that a script kiddy would have.

FYI challenge started at 9am. None of my servers affected yet. I haven't bumped into a defacement yet, except http://www.zone-h.org is under a DOS attack currently. (The place you were supposed to report defacements.)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by Stelliform
But that prize isn't so hard to setup yourself. Stock Macs running OS X can do that with a little work. (Far less than the hacking would require.) And do you really need all of that bandwidth? Not for a piddly little site that a script kiddy would have.

FYI challenge started at 9am. None of my servers affected yet. I haven't bumped into a defacement yet, except http://www.zone-h.org is under a DOS attack currently. (The place you were supposed to report defacements.)
i can't believe someone defaced zone-h :rolleyes:
anyway, it's 500mb, webmail, a domain name and e-mail forwarding for FREE. that's the thing to keep in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.