Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpmartin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2003
Is there any way to install a 3rd internal hard drive to my PowerMac G5 dual 1.8 ?:)

shayesky

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2006
USA
yep

get yourself a Sonnet Temp SATA card. I got one for about $35.
I set the drive infront of the cooling fans. Has run fine.

jtt

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2005
You still need to get a controller card for this, right?

I'm going to be doing this soon and and have a few questions:

Does this get around the 300gb HDD limit?
Has anyone had any over heating problems with this set up?
Where is the best place to get a controller card?

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Check your G5 model...

You still need to get a controller card for this, right?

I'm going to be doing this soon and and have a few questions:

Does this get around the 300gb HDD limit?
Has anyone had any over heating problems with this set up?
Where is the best place to get a controller card?

Hey,

the setup mentioned above is just the mounting you'll need for more HD's.
I always thought the G5 has the SATA already. Meybe the early G5s didn't ??
Anyways, by using SATA card, you can use now SATA HD instead of the old ATA 100 Bus standard. This indeed eliminates HD restrictions. By using SATA you also have access to a lot faster drives, especially the 10K Raptor 150G dirve. Having this a start dirve is pretty nice setup.
Regarding model or brand, I would go with Sonnet or Seritk.
:apple:

jtt

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2005
The G5 is SATA but can only recognize up to 300gb.

I plan on putting two 150gb Raptors in the stock bays for Apps and Scratch, and using the other three drives, hopefully over 300gb, for storage.

bshelly

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2004
G5's can only recognize 300GB or smaller hard drives? I thought SATA didn't have restrictions like that. Can someone confirm this?

Thank you!

termite

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2003
G5's can only recognize 300GB or smaller hard drives? I thought SATA didn't have restrictions like that. Can someone confirm this?

I just installed a 750GB SATA in my first edition dual 2.0GHz G5. I find it hard to believe later versions of the G5 would have busted this.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
External Sata

For my dual 2.5 PowerMac, I got a Venus external SATA tray that holds 4 hard disks (on sale from Frys for $120). I connected it to a card I bought from CWOL (PCI-x) and find it works perfectly. I have 4 disks in the tray and have turned them into 2 disks using striped RAID on OS X. The tray sits on top of the PowerMac and does not take up much space -- it still fits under my desk. It is quite silent and seems to me a much better solution than trying to cram another disk into a G5 PM. It is VERY fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.