Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keytachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
is there an equivalent of windows autohotkey for mac?
AutoHotKey is an application that allows you to send a keystroke to more than 1 (wow) client on the same PC.

Alex Quinn

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2008
ControllerMate

I suggest looking at ControllerMate.

Just like AutoHotkey or AutoIt on the Windows side, ControllerMate lets you trap just about any input event from the keyboard, mouse, or even the weird media keys if you're using a PC keyboard, and either map it to another input event (i.e. another keystroke) or launch an AppleScript. The main difference is that while AutoHotkey uses a text language (essentially its own programming language), ControllerMate uses a visual language where you drag around blocks representing inputs and outputs, and connect to them with lines representing virtual wires. However, It's pretty sophisticated and at the end of the day, I'd say the capabilities are very comparable.

Unfortunately, while AutoHotkey is free, ControllerMate will cost you $15. They have a trial that will let you see how it works and make sure it will solve your problem, but it's not really useful for real work until you pay the $15.

Sorry for reviving an old post and for the duplicate posting. This thread came up when I was searching for an answer to the same question a while ago, and the suggestions above don't come anywhere close to what AutoHotkey does for me on the Windows side. I just ran across ControllerMate this week, so I thought I'd post this for the benefit of the next person who finds this while searching.

(For the record, I have no connection to either AutoHotkey, AutoIt, or ControllerMate, other than as an occasional user.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.