Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rzback543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2003
I am getting a Mac for college and my question right now is do i really need a G5. All I will be doing is basic college stuff for a business marketing major and i will be doing minor media stuff like burning a lot of Cds and DVDs. I feel that if i just get a real good imac or powermac G4 i can save over 600 bucks and i think that an one of those would fit be better since all i really want is a fast computer for internet and little media stuff. I need some other people to tell me what they think. Do i really need the G5 i am thinking that it is just too much for me and that i would be fine but i am also unaware of what the future holds and would i be unsatisfied with an imac or G4. Will they keep putting out for 4 years till i get a new computer. thanks

Andrew

Pete_Hoover

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2003
I really don't think you need a G5 for college work and burning CD's. It's overkill. Apple has said that they will continue using them, so they won't go out of date very soon. Save the money and go for the G4.

jzieske

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
I agree go with a G4, and since it is for college go with a PB. But don't buy until after MWNY I expect a update to the entire line prior to school starting again.

rzback543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2003
I have thought about getting a laptop but i think that i will for sure get a desktop i just think i would ever really use the portability of a laptop.

KershMan

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2003
VA, USA
Originally posted by rzback543
I have thought about getting a laptop but i think that i will for sure get a desktop i just think i would ever really use the portability of a laptop.

My sister-in-law just completed her junior year (major is Biology). We gave her an older iBook mid-semester this year. She thought she wouldn't use it much either, but now has found that she cannot do without it. A laptop is a great tool to take with you wherever you are on campus to take notes, work on papers, etc. It will make transcribing information at the library much easier.

I would suggest a PowerBook with a SuperDrive and a Bookendz docking station that you can hook up a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. to in your room. Then you have the best of both.

The 12" PowerBook is really nice and a very decent deal. If they update again before school starts, you might be able to get a 1Ghz PowerBook with SuperDrive for 2K or less.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Originally posted by KershMan
My sister-in-law just completed her junior year (major is Biology). We gave her an older iBook mid-semester this year. She thought she wouldn't use it much either, but now has found that she cannot do without it. A laptop is a great tool to take with you wherever you are on campus to take notes, work on papers, etc. It will make transcribing information at the library much easier.

I would suggest a PowerBook with a SuperDrive and a Bookendz docking station that you can hook up a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. to in your room. Then you have the best of both.

The 12" PowerBook is really nice and a very decent deal. If they update again before school starts, you might be able to get a 1Ghz PowerBook with SuperDrive for 2K or less.
Would a Superdrive really be necessary for classes in business? Maybe a combo drive would be more appropriate.

jzieske

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2003
Bloomington, MN
Originally posted by XnavxeMiyyep
Would a Superdrive really be necessary for classes in business? Maybe a combo drive would be more appropriate.

I think A combo drive would b ok. In fact if you price out a 15" PB as they are right now the 1 GHz with combo instead of superdrive works out to only be about $40 or so more when you count the memory upgrade that comes standard on the 1GHz. Sorry run on sentence I know.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Yes, the G4 will work best for you. Ether an eMac, or an iMac, or if you want to go portable, the 12" PowerBook is nice for browsing the internet, and doing media stuff. Final Cut Express runs nicely on my 12" PowerBook... The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of L3 cache...

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Having a 17" iMac, I would not recommend a G4 without L3 cache, at all. Period.

Unless you can guarantee you'll "never" want to edit video, author DVDs, don't do it.

If you get a G4 get one with L3 cache. A G4 without it is a Celeron. Given the high prices and lack of upgradeability at the motherboard level, you'll want to steer clear of cacheless G4s.

Should you get a G5? Spend as much as your budget allows and get the most power you can afford. Period. No matter what you're going to use it for.

rzback543

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2003
I will most likely not ever be dealing with creating or editing video i will need a superdrive because i will be copying DVDs since i am into legal bootleg trading of live concerts and some of those concerts are on DVD as well as CD. I am leaning toward the iMac because i can get a monitor and it is more compact since i can just have it sitting on a desk and wont have to worry about a monitor and all that stuff. I will most likely make a purchase next week at CompUSA the only place that sells macs around little rock arkansas. I am almost certain now that i dont need a G5 and that is good since school starts august 21st or so and the G5 wont come in till early september or real late august. I think that an imac will suit me well. thanks any other comments i would like to hear such as what software and such are musts for college bound kids such as myself.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by rzback543
I will most likely not ever be dealing with creating or editing video i will need a superdrive because i will be copying DVDs since i am into legal bootleg trading of live concerts and some of those concerts are on DVD as well as CD. I am leaning toward the iMac because i can get a monitor and it is more compact since i can just have it sitting on a desk and wont have to worry about a monitor and all that stuff. I will most likely make a purchase next week at CompUSA the only place that sells macs around little rock arkansas. I am almost certain now that i dont need a G5 and that is good since school starts august 21st or so and the G5 wont come in till early september or real late august. I think that an imac will suit me well. thanks any other comments i would like to hear such as what software and such are musts for college bound kids such as myself.

If you don't need the iMac right away, you should wait a month or so. It's getting close to the six month mark. I don't expect much more than a speed though.

Then again, there may be no update and the next iMac we see will be in another 6 to 8 months sporting it's new G5. :)

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by Fender2112
If you don't need the iMac right away, you should wait a month or so. It's getting close to the six month mark. I don't expect much more than a speed though.

Then again, there may be no update and the next iMac we see will be in another 6 to 8 months sporting it's new G5. :)

if the guy is in college then classes will start soon. much earlier then the aforementioned 6-8 months for an alleged G5 iMac.

My advice is to get the 12'' pb or an iMac G4, both will be fine for what you want to do, and will be great in a college atmosphere.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
No. Besides, it will be a while before software developers come out with softwares that can take full advantage of 64bit G5 processor. If you have money to throw around, sure you can get G5 and play with it. Otherwise, G4 machines will still serve you well for at least 2-3 years.

codycartoon

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2002
i think you guys are forgetting about the iBook...witch i would highly recommend if you want portability and a good price. If not the iMac should be good.

-cody

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.