Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
In the days before liquids were limited to 100ml containers, I used to bring out 4-6 bottles of proper British beer to friends in the US when I came to stay. I'm coming out to California in a few weeks and would like to be able to enjoy our convivial beer-tasting evenings.

I'm not convinced I want to put it in my luggage since although I know the hold is pressurised, I'm sure it would make a mess if there was a problem. There's also that inconvenient 1l of alcohol rule and since I'm travelling on my own, that's harder than usual. :rolleyes:

So can anyone recommend any online retailers (US preferably) who would deliver UK beer to California? I found the 1-800-beerclub who do a British case of the month. Anyone used them or have any other retailers or ideas?

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
I'm sure that you could buy certain british imported beer in the states, except you probably could only get a very limited selection.

I do know they sell guiness hear in Canada, but i'm not sure about anything else that may be imported from Britain.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
could you not just ship them?

Probably although I seem to recall there were lots of weird Prohibition-era rules about which carriers can deliver alcohol when I googled it. And the weight and customs duty issues might just make it prohibitive.

The beer of the month club is 36 bottles for $120 (£60) over 3 months. I'm not entirely sure I could buy and ship bottles for less than that.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
You can find some variety depending on where you look....I think it comes down to being in a city and knowing the right shops. The Liverpool FC fanatic down the hall from me last year at college always managed to have a good stock of Carlsberg on match days, and I saw some Carling around at one point or another.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
My drinking friends swear by BevMo and Trader Joe's. I don't know exactly which import brands they stock, so I'm not sure if they have what you are looking for.

I'm not sure about BevMo, but I'm pretty sure TJ's doesn't ship. That said, they're all over Cali, so chances are good there will be one near where you are chillaxin'.

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
That's one impressive site... and there's a branch in the town I'm staying in so makes it easier to stock up. That might just be the answer! Sadly they don't have my favourite that I hoped to take out but sure I can make up a reasonable selection! Thanks

I don't know how the individual locations go as far as stocking all the labels offered on the site, so you might that location ahead of time just to make sure the regularly stock the one's that look interesting to you (and that way, if they don't stock it, maybe they could order some in for you).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
could you not just ship them?

How would this allow Applespider to avoid the pressure problem she was afraid of? I guess shipping is better because if it explodes, it won't explode in her bag, but it's probably expensive.

What type of British beer are you looking to ship? Is it common like beers like Boddingtons, John Smiths, Kilkenny, Guinness?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
I don't know how the individual locations go as far as stocking all the labels offered on the site,
They do deliver so I could just order and get it delivered and then top up when there.

What type of British beer are you looking to ship? Is it common like beers like Boddingtons, John Smiths, Kilkenny, Guinness?
Just curious, but what do you consider to be a proper british beer?

Nope, it's the more interesting smaller breweries - Harviestoun (their Bitter & Twisted is lovely), Wychwood or those that make more ales than lagers.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
In the days before liquids were limited to 100ml containers, I used to bring out 4-6 bottles of proper British beer to friends in the US when I came to stay. I'm coming out to California in a few weeks and would like to be able to enjoy our convivial beer-tasting evenings.

I'm not convinced I want to put it in my luggage since although I know the hold is pressurised, I'm sure it would make a mess if there was a problem. There's also that inconvenient 1l of alcohol rule and since I'm travelling on my own, that's harder than usual. :rolleyes:

So can anyone recommend any online retailers (US preferably) who would deliver UK beer to California? I found the 1-800-beerclub who do a British case of the month. Anyone used them or have any other retailers or ideas?

There should be a liquor store that will carry British beer. The liquor store near my condo carries "Old Speckled Hen," for example. And the one a few miles away carries "Abbott Ale," and a couple other UK ales that elude me right now. Your best bet is to pack a second suitcase or a third suitcase if you're worried about loss of pressurization. That way you can have the beer you want--and drink it, too.

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
Some of the American Micro Breweries actually produce very good bottle conditioned (top fermented) beers. They do take a bit of searching out, but some are surprisingly good.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
Some of the American Micro Breweries actually produce very good bottle conditioned (top fermented) beers. They do take a bit of searching out, but some are surprisingly good.

There's a lot of decent American beer and I'll have a lot of fun drinking that while I'm out there. I just like to take some nice UK beers out to my beer drinking pals that they might not usually get.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Go ahead and pack them in your luggage, preferably in a second bag. Last time I came home from England, I had 18 bottles of various British beers in my luggage. Only one ended up breaking. There was no damage except for the terrible loss of all that delicious British nectar.

There are lots of wonderful imported beers available here in the US, but alas, a proper bitter is near impossible to find.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
You don't know icky fizzy yellow water until you've had Keystone Light. ~$11 for 30. Ewwwww.

oh there is even worse than keystone. PBR or Old Style come to mind...

but AS, i'd guess that if the one place doesn't work out (i'd call to make sure its do-able), shipping it over would probably relatively easy so long as you get the right carrier and such.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006

Love it!! Awesome beer. My dad used to live almost next to the factory and got crates for free. There was going to be a beer called the dog's bollocks but it was deamed too rude so it was changed to the mutt's nuts.
Which one is your favourite?

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
That's one impressive site... and there's a branch in the town I'm staying in so makes it easier to stock up. That might just be the answer! Sadly they don't have my favourite that I hoped to take out but sure I can make up a reasonable selection! Thanks

Yes, BevMo is probably your best bet in California. They do have quite a few smaller British beers, although the selection for individual bottles varies somewhat depending on what's in stock. I don't know if the website's selection is more comprehensive. They opened one in the city I live in a couple years ago, so I go there way too often now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.