Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelsel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
Visual voicemail kills my Edge data connection if I have a visual voicemail being downloaded... I can barely check email or surf the internet... how can I disable this? (Please don't suggest using WiFi, I'm nowhere near a router).

Thanks,
Cliff.

iPhoneHome

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Personally I think Visual Voicemail is one of the greatest features to have ever been on a cell phone! But besides that, I don't see how this is interfering with your edge connection....

TimmyDee

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2007
Visual Voicemail uses EDGE to download what amounts to digital recordings of the voicemails to your iPhone. When you listen to them, they're audio files local to your iPhone. I can see how that would really slow a net connection.

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
Visual voicemail kills my Edge data connection if I have a visual voicemail being downloaded... I can barely check email or surf the internet... how can I disable this? (Please don't suggest using WiFi, I'm nowhere near a router).

Thanks,
Cliff.

Hack your phone and go to T-Mobile. I hear that does it.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005

Thanks,
Cliff.

Quick Fix..........
Answer the phone, but seriously I have no issues with EDGE and Visual VM

brn2prgrm

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2004
Like everyone else has said, u can't turn it off and I don't see how its causing a problem... It only takes a minute or so max to download each message! Are you honestly getting that many voicemails or are you just looking for something to complain about here? Just answer the phone!

Antitorque

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
Not much of a burden on Edge?

I have been using the voice recorder's email function to send voice files and I was surprised how quickly the email swooshes away, much faster than sending a picture. I don't think those voicemails are very memory intensive.

mongoose8p

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
Chicago
o wow i didn't release on the iphonet that you couldn't dial in to check voicemail i will be getting an unlocked iphone as soon as iphonesimfree realeases their software so i can use it on tmobile so wait for att if u don't have an edge connection somewhere you can't check voicemail u have to wait for connection?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Oh, wow. I didn't realize that on the iPhone you can't dial in to check your voice mail. I will be getting an unlocked iPhone as soon as iPhoneSIMFree releases their software. Then, I can use my iPhone on T-Mobile. So wait, with AT&T if you don't have an edge connection somewhere, you can't check your voice mail? You have to wait for a connection?

Okay, it took me about ten minutes to fully translate your chicken scratch into English, but I seem to have managed. Is it really that difficult to use some freaking punctuation? :mad:

Anyway, you don't need EDGE to check your voice mail. Simply hold 1 on the keypad, just like any other phone. :rolleyes:

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
o wow i didn't release on the iphonet that you couldn't dial in to check voicemail i will be getting an unlocked iphone as soon as iphonesimfree realeases their software so i can use it on tmobile so wait for att if u don't have an edge connection somewhere you can't check voicemail u have to wait for connection?

No you can still call in to voicemail and check your messages the old way.

If there is no edge (roaming) the phone will prompt you to call voice mail (at least that has been the case for me).

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Also, a pretty lame workaround to disable visual voice mail:

1. Setup a voicemail password
2. Restore your iPhone so the password is lost
3. Don't enter your password again

Then when you hit Phone -> Voice Mail, it will call voice mail instead of loading the visual voice mail menu.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
I haven't had any problems with this. Visual voicemail is one of the best features iphone has to offer. You might try calling At&t, though. It's possible they coukd turn it off, causing your voicemail to redirect to the standard, crappy system. Since its both client and server technology, they may be able to do that. Its essentially what happens if you use an iphone on say... T-mobile.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Hm... I like being able to choose which messages to bother listening to. :p

But I miss how on Verizon, I could call my cell (say w/ my home's landline) and hit # and then enter in my vmail PIN and access messages like that.

I mean, am I being really slow and not doing it correctly? Is there a similar way to access vmail with AT&T? :eek:

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Visual voicemail is great.
You dont have to call in, punch in your pin number, press 7 to delete or 3 to save or other bs.
you can listen in any order.
And it dont kill any edge connection, its downloaded to your phone and its a small audio file. It does it as soon as someone leaves you a voicemessage and not when you're trying to log on the internet...

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Yes, thats how all voicemails work bro.
Just dial in your number, let it go into voicemail and log in with # and your pin.

But I miss how on Verizon, I could call my cell (say w/ my home's landline) and hit # and then enter in my vmail PIN and access messages like that.

I mean, am I being really slow and not doing it correctly? Is there a similar way to access vmail with AT&T? :eek:

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

i was able to do it with my old phone but havent tried it on my iphone before

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
I've got a pretty simple solution...only 5 steps:

1) Take the iPhone down to the train station.
2) Place on train track.
3) Wait for train to arrive.
4) Get new phone...you won't want to spend another $600, so you will get a cheap phone and it will not have visual voicemail.
5) Stop complaining.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Has anyone else noticed the phone only keeps 30 days worth of VVM? I have been keeping my VVM on the phone cause I figured if it downloaded the VVM to my phone it should be permanent till I choose to delete it. Is there any reason why the phone is doing this?

To the OP call your phone and hitting # when the VM greeting starts puts you into normal VM versus VVM.

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA

The ONLY difference is on Verizon you hit #, and on AT&T you hit *

That'll do the trick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.