Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
I am going to college next year and I need to retire my iMac G5 badly and get a notebook. I want the 2.4ghz MBP and was looking to get it refurb, but with the edu discount I can get a NEW one for only 100 more dollars. If I don't use the discount now I will just use it next year so why wait. My question is will I have to mail Apple some sort of documentation to prove I am a student or will the order just go through?

I am currently a high school student and if I need to show proof of enrollment at a college then I am out of luck and will have to get the refurb. I like the idea of having a BRAND NEW computer. I like being the first to open the packaging... all Apple fanboys will know what I am talking about.

So the question is will I have to show Apple proof of enrollment if I order online or can I just order it? Please anyone with experience with my situation post your experience.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
From what I have read, Apple doesn't check if you're an enrolled student or not. I haven't personally ordered an item off the education store, but i'm pretty sure they don't do a check.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My understanding is they do not check. They have checked me once online due to the length of time I listed the college I said I went to. It was that I was still a student but graduated and went to another school for my master's. That said, they eventually asked me to fax my ID. I did so and they were ok.

You can do that. I mean hell, who cares if you're dishonest and such. I mean you can either suck it up and either wait to buy new or buy a refurb if you simply cannot wait. Point is they probably will not check, you'll get whatever you want out of this and go home happy no doubt.

Just remember that whatever computer you're buying now while still in high school you're probably going to want a new one when you go to college. I believe you just want a new notebook and it's not really a matter of "well I'm going to use the discount anyway, why not expedite it" theory that you so boldly claimed.

Good luck with your purchase. You have a good sense of entitlement, you'll do just fine. ;)

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Checks are random -- you may be asked to provide proof that you're a student/staff, or they may hit someone else.

To a previous poster: I'm sure that Apple cares if the buyer is dishonest. I'd guess that all the people who do spend honestly care as well, especially since they pay higher prices when others are dishonest.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
I used the education discount when I was accepted into a university, but wasn't enrolled. I didn't have an ID at the time, but I was able to login to the schools system with a login I was given in my acceptance letter, and the apple store took it as proof of academic enrollment.

Probably an interesting fact to consider, since you're going to college next year. If my memory serves me correct, you should hear back from atleast one of the schools you applied to in a month or two.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
To the previous poster, I am not getting this computer just for the hell of it. My mother's iBook G4 just broke and she needs a computer for herself. So I'm going to give her my iMac and she is going to get me my COLLEGE laptop, which is the MBP in this case. I'm not just going out and saying "hmm I think I want a new computer" and then getting it. This will be my laptop hopefully through college. I will not be getting a new computer until at least my Junior, hopefully Senior year in college. Please don't make judgements about me when you don't know me.

Zianac

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2007
Florida
I bought mine with the education discount at the apple store. Although I did get mine in the summer. I talked to the sales person about how I was going to go to college in the fall and I was nervous and all that jazz... While I wasn't lying... they didn't ask for any proof. so... that's my story

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
bld, unfortunately I haven't applied to any colleges yet. I plan to do this between mid-late September and early-mid October. That is interesting that Apple let you use the Login ID as proof of a student. I think I'm just gonna take the chance and see if I can just get the discount. What's the worst that can happen, they ask for proof and I say I don't have it and just buy the refurb.

ApplePod17

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2007
You can also go to the homeschool page if you are nervous about providing college enrollment proof, but that wouldn't be honest either, now would it? :rolleyes:

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2007
I'm guessing it would be a lot harder to pull this off in the actual store, right?

bossass

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
You will find that being deceitful will usually come back to haunt you. Yes Apple does do random verifications, they have to as they are taking a markdown on inventory.

Someone should tell our President that.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
bld, unfortunately I haven't applied to any colleges yet. I plan to do this between mid-late September and early-mid October. That is interesting that Apple let you use the Login ID as proof of a student. I think I'm just gonna take the chance and see if I can just get the discount. What's the worst that can happen, they ask for proof and I say I don't have it and just buy the refurb.

I heard that if they audit you and they find you're not eligible for the student discount they charge you full price. Granted, these audits could take place after you buy your machine. You seem strapped for the money so it might not be worth the risk of having to hand over more cash.

spick

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2007
Just go to your local community college and pick one up. I know a lot of college bookstores don't check IDs when you buy stuff from them, but they check it when you return. So save yourself the hassle and pick one up at a college bookstore.

I went to my community college a couple weeks ago and picked up my first macbook and I transferred to a state college a year ago.

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
I heard that if they audit you and they find you're not eligible for the student discount they charge you full price. Granted, these audits could take place after you buy your machine. You seem strapped for the money so it might not be worth the risk of having to hand over more cash.

Then when you ignore their request for more money they send it to a collections lawyer who charges what you owe and all his fees. Happened to a buddy of mine. Yes they deffinitely do audits on these purchases more so now than before because of abusers.

Kevin:apple:

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Education discounts are for current students and staff of higher education institutions. When you go through the education store, you agree to the terms and conditions. It doesn't matter if you're buying a computer now for your education next fall, or for three years from now. If you are not a student, then purchasing a MBP posing by posing as a current student is dishonest.

The very fact that you're concerned that Apple may ask for proof of your student status shows that you're aware that what you want to do is not 100% on the up and up.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
This is the correct answer. There are no random audits. they NEVER check. :rolleyes:

A friend of mine had purchased a Macintosh off the online education store, and just when the machine was ready to ship, the FedEx tracking page showed a exception, and the next day he did get a call from a representative, insisting that he fax in/mail his school ID. He was a student, and it all worked out good.

So this event makes me believe that Apple SOMETIMES does check. It probably may be rare, but saying NEVER might be an understatement.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
As long as you stay within Apple's restrictions for educational purchases (e.g. one desktop per college year, two displays per college year, one notebook per college year...) they probably won't check.

tartsquid

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2006
Reston, VA
My school has an education store set up through Apple and you have to log in with your student ID before it will allow you to purchase anything from the Apple Store. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple begins implementing this more often in order to keep people from cheating the system.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Yes they check. And I personally care if you are dishonest because it hurts those who do it by the book. I have to wonder if the slow increases and phasing out of discounts is due to the dishonesty of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.