Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vitruvius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2002
Caracas, Venezuela
My last mock-up of the upcoming iMac G5

enjoy it!:D

Attachments

• g5 imac ad.jpg
    g5 imac ad.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 917

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Nice rendering - although I don't know if I like the cone shape....the screen is nice! :D

One question - would there be a fan or is this convection cooling?

D

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Nice rendering :) (any chance we could see some other angles aswell or am I being greedy?) Looks alot nicer than the current iMacs imho.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
hehe...i'd like to see the bottom be a sphere that rests ina cradle that acts os a hub/docking station...still the cheesgrater theme here my idea with slightly less detail don't hit me

Attachments

• imac.jpg
    imac.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 802

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Cones don't hold much. How about an aluminum cylinder? It doesn't need holes on the sides; the fan would be on the top, pulling air up thru from the bottom (as in the current iMac, right?).

As a Cube owner, I think Apple has learned their lesson on convection cooling, and that lesson is: Forget it. The amount of heat necessary to get sufficient air movement, is sufficient also to significantly lessen component life.

nspeds

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2002
That should say:

Enjoy the Beast OUTSIDE the beauty.

Your design gives Chris Bangle a good name=P.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by cubist
Cones don't hold much. How about an aluminum cylinder? It doesn't need holes on the sides; the fan would be on the top, pulling air up thru from the bottom (as in the current iMac, right?).

As a Cube owner, I think Apple has learned their lesson on convection cooling, and that lesson is: Forget it. The amount of heat necessary to get sufficient air movement, is sufficient also to significantly lessen component life.

i don't think thats true at all. convection cooling works great if done right. case in point: the fanless, convection cooled iMacs run significantly cooler than their fan cooled, tray loading cousins. Convection cooling isn't really dependent on a lot of heat, just good airflow. I can't say i've heard a lot about cube compents failing due to heat.

for what its worth, i'd much rather have a cone or dome like we have now instead fo a cylinder. a cylinder would be clunky I think. it would have to be wide like the current iMac to keep it all from tipping over. a cylinder the size of the footprint of the current iMac would just seem too large to be aesthetically pelasing. I could see something perhaps like the body of a laptop, a super thin platform, but i rather think the dome shape will be ehre for a while until the iMac totally changes.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
the screen looks nice, but I'm not so sure if I like the cone-shaped bottom. I think it will be a while before the iMac is re-designed.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
that's actually really damn good. nice use of Iveism, tho that's a pretty big screen-- I would be happy if Apple came out with something like this...

tho i really doubt they'll redesign it this soon, unless the hardware requires it (which it very well may)...

pnw

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
Nice work.

But I hope next iMac will get rid of the chrome neck thingy. Displays tilt sideways slightly and it is just annoying. I hope next iMac will go back to earlier simpler design. Heck, if they could stick the CPU and etc behind 17" LCD Studio Display, I'd be happy with that baby.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Nice, but I'd like a dome better. Oooh, and the same type of perforation as on the G5 PowerMacs. I think it would look smokin if they had the same type of perforated material in white.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.