Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
(I apologize if this is the wrong forum).

So, here's the deal: I have a 250 GB external hard drive preformatted in NTFS. I am trying to network my Macbook and my PC in order to give the Mac access to this volume. I would like to keep it NTFS due to file size restrictions (of Fat 32) and the drive will be given back to someone who uses Windows exclusively.

When I try to connect to the PC, I receive an error saying, "Could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct." The problem is, I am never prompted to enter a password.

I ran the wizard on Windows to create a small network. The workgroup is the same on both machines. I have tried doing it wirelessly and wired. I have enabled Windows and Personal Files Sharing on the Mac. I have disabled the firewall on the PC. I have set the volume up to share.

When I look at the "Network," the workgroup of "Mshome" shows up; however, it shows up as being "Zero KB." In other words, there is no 'space' there.

It has become rather frustrating. I don't know why it is telling me the name and password are incorrect when I haven't even entered the name or password. Yes, I have made sure my account has a password. I've run the network wizard several times--although I'm not sure if there are several different networks; I'm not sure where to even find that.

When I use the "Go" and "Connect to server" I use the following syntax: smb://IP/Mac -- it doesn't work. I'm not even sure what to do at this point.

I have installed MacFuse and the NTFS-3g driver on the Mac, but it seems rather slow and I'm nervous that it's buggy and I'll lose data.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

eluk

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2006
East London, UK
If you "Connect to server" with the following syntax: smb://IPaddress you should then be offered a choice of available shares to connect to.

Qast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
I did try that as well. It did not work. I was never prompted for a password or anything. :/

Qast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2007
No. I'm not offered anything. I simply receive an error it "could not connect to the server because the name or password is not correct." Like I said, I can see "Mshome" in network and open the folder, but zero KB are available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.