Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tim117

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
BC Canada
I cannot find any way to import movies into iTunes? I've tried dragging them in. Pressing the button 'Add to Libray' and pressing the button 'Import'

And that's all i've tried. What am I doing wrong?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
iTunes uses QuickTime (.mov, .m4v etc) formats. If you have QuickTime Pro then you can open the .avi files and save them as .mov.

kostia

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
The free application iSquint will convert your AVIs into MP4s iTunes will be happy with. There are other options for conversion software too, but that's what I use.

http://www.isquint.org/

mistermateo

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Help?

I am trying to import videos to iTunes and having trouble.
I used VideoDrive to convert all the avi files to m4v files, and all of the videos subsequently showed up in a new folder alongside my music folder for iTunes (this had previously been empty).
However, when VideoDrive was processing all the videos, it gave a warning message for each one saying that the "file could not be opened..." and something about "software may need to be added..."
Now, all the movies show up in iTunes, but I can not open or play any of them.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
From your explanation, I think that there's a problem with your codecs. VideoDrive (as do all other tools) uses QuickTime to convert your videos. If the video doesn't play in QuickTime, the conversion will fail. Have you installed Perian?

I noticed VideoDrive released a beta version of 2.3 which includes support for HandBrake. I think this will be a hugh improvement as HandBrake is far more reliable and definitely much faster than QuickTime for conversions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.