Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Looking at the specs, none of the three new models mention it. Anyone know for sure which do? Classic? Nano? Touch? None?

Considering the iPhone doesn't do it, and these new ones are on a new OS, I have a bad feeling about this.

I hope apple just made an oversight in their specs, if these don't do it anymore it's pretty much a deal breaker for me on what's otherwise an incredible line of iPods.

robPOD

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
NZ
Interseting point, I hope the iPod touch does have video output. Can somebody answer this?

milo

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
It's not listed on any of the tech specs page, but I found the info on the store's page for the AV cable.

"Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch at 480i or 576i resolution."

Good news, and it even looks like they've upped to a higher resolution. Odd that one is p and the other i though, does that mean they're incompatible? Time for a new handbrake preset.

Also a little odd that these all support this while the pricier iPhone doesn't. I wonder if it will be added in the future.

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
it looks like they just released a new adapter for the new ipods, including the iPhone. it connects through the dock connector and even includes a power adapter.

the apple store has a composite and a component version available.

kinda sucks that i can't use my old cable with my iphone, but at least this function is now available. and the composite cable always looked awful on flat screens. hopefully the component will do a better job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.