Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluebull

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
DC
I am going to get an imac sooner or later, and hopefully it will be updated before I do. What ever happened to that 19-inch iMac that I have heard about. I know there was a thread about it in this forum in 2002, but I have not heard about it since. Could this be the next version of the iMac?

thekaiser

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2002
Huntington Beach, CA
I don't know how much I would count on that. For the things the average user uses an iMac for the 17" is great. It is just big enough to be useful, but not so big that it is a hassle to move around. Many iMac users like the small but very functional 17". Especially kids in college. IMHO a 19" iMac is a tad cumbersome, and the price may be too high. I could be wrong...I never thought there would be a 17" notebook...and look how well that went over.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
The only way I see Apple creating a 19" iMac is if they can't get a G5 in there for a long time. A long time. 2 to 3 years. Then a huge 19" screen could attract customers, even though it will have the antique G4 processor.

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
I definitely wouldn't call the 17" small. I've had one since it was released last summer and i still love it. A 19" would be a bit much and wouldn't look right with that big of a monitor.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
that would look cool, i'm picturing the 20inch display hooked up to that base....how sweet ....i just don't want all the not physically possible people to start posting again.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
I think with Apple, anything is possible. Even 19" iMac. But I they would have to do something about the neck (the metal bar holding the display). Even with 17" iMacs, I notice the displays slightly tilting one way or the other. It is very slight tilt, but still. I think 19" display might have more problems with that issue.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I just don't think that the average consumer (the target market for imacs) needs that much screen real estate. If you need that much workspace, I think the powermac is the way to go.

And btw, they'll have to have a G5 in the imac in about a year because the powermacs could be getting 980s by then so 970 chips will be cheap. :D

bluebull

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
DC
I personally don't think it would cause it to tip over or anything, but it could look a little weird. However, when I think about it, a 19-inch screen would add WAY too much to the price. I guess I will just have to keep my fingers crossed for a g5 version. Maybe it will have expanded colors like the old iMac.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, it'll be too expensive. Anybody willing to pay for a 19" iMac must really be into computers or something, and probably knows that a 19" iMac isn't worth it. At that price, you may as well get yourself a 1.6GHz G5 plus a monitor of some sort at 19".

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
I don't really think that Apple would make a 19". The iMac is primarily sold to consumers. And most consumers don't need 19" of screen.

My 17" iMac is plenty big for me. :)

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
i would be interesting in it if there was such a thing.
i love the design of the imac and 19inch would be nice.
the price of the 2 inch increase would be a very important factor.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
It would be interesting but I don't think a 19" is all that likely. It would make more sense to go to 20" since they already have a supplier for that size panel. But, a 20" would be entirely too large for the current design. Does anyone know if the company that supplies LCDs to apple currently assembles 19" widescreens?

Hickman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.