Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
Just noticed the back to school rebate changed from 199.00 to 149.00 and the new ipod will not be honored......that not great news....

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
Just noticed the back to school rebate changed from 199.00 to 149.00 and the new ipod will not be honored......that not great news....

well where on apple.com/store? can you buy the old ipods? uh nowhere? this makes no sense? and i know the new ones dont work!

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Wasn't it pretty much widely accepted that the free iPod promo was just to clear out the stocks of now obselete ipods?
I don't think very many people were expecting the rebate to work with the new ipods...

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Wasn't it pretty much widely accepted that the free iPod promo was just to clear out the stocks of now obselete ipods?
I don't think very many people were expecting the rebate to work with the new ipods...

No surprise they aren't offering the rebate on the new iPods, but I'm disappointed they changed the amount. They dropped the rebate amount $50, but the 30gb iPod, for example, only came down $20 in price, so it's $30 more now than it used to be (if you are using this promotion).

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

It's what everyone expected, apple has done the exact same thing in the past.

And the rebate amount changing is a non-issue, your rebate just depends on how much you paid for it. Free 2nd generation nano before, still a free 2nd generation nano. They lowered the amount because they lowered the price of the old nanos, because they lowered the price of the new nanos. The rebate is simply equal to the amount the base nano costs, if they didn't lower the rebate, they'd be giving you back *more* than you spent on the nano.

They dropped the rebate amount $50, but the 30gb iPod, for example, only came down $20 in price, so it's $30 more now than it used to be (if you are using this promotion).

Well, the promotion is for the nano, I guess they couldn't cover every possibility.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005

This is nothing new ... Apple has historically refused to offer new iPods as part of their Back To School promotions.

jvencius

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
you were very lucky :)

Not really--I bought my MBP on 8/12 and had the rebate forms out by Certified Mail at 0900 the next (Monday) morning. If I had sat on the forms until the 30-day window was about to expire, that would have been a bad situation.:rolleyes:

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
im pretty sure that isn't the case, from my understanding of the fine print. i filled out my rebate online the day before the iPod event. i haven't mailed yet. but either way - you send in your invoice with the amount you paid. so if you ordered when the nano was $199 you should get $199 back. if you ordered now, with them at $149 then you would only get $149 back. regardless of when you actually mail the rebate form in.

pjgeer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
MZD is right, whatever is on your reciept is what you get back. But think this, if you paid taxes on your ipod, you don't get that amount back, with the cheaper price for the 4gb you are paying today, you are putting out that much less tax $ on the same ipod, aha!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.