Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
I was watching a shopping channel on tv the other day. I don't remember the name of it but it'd the one based in Nashville. The were seliing a Northgate Centrino laptop and the man on tv said that the chips took in half a watt. I was thinking wtf the centrino takes half a watt? But then again he said that the p4 takes in 45 watts, maybe he said it took half the watts?

Please correct me im confused?:confused: :confused:

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I did a search for "centrino watts" on Intel's site, and found this page, which includes:

Low-Voltage and Ultra-Low-Voltage Mobile Processors: Intel mobile processors with battery-optimized performance modes that drive average power usage as low as .5 watts.

So I guess you heard right.

--Fred

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
I am not sure if these are the same, but when we talk about the G4 operating at something in the vicinity of 20W, is this power CONSUMPTION or power DISSIPATION?

donigian

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2003
Washington, DC, USA
Just because the Centrino can draw power as low as .5W doesn't mean it can perform reasonably well at that power level or that it can be sustained significantly. Reminds me of all those auctions on eBay purporting 2000 Watt speaker systems, the maximum/peak is 2000W, the sustainable, measurable, believable wattage is more like 25-50 Watts.

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Originally posted by FredAkbar
I did a search for "centrino watts" on Intel's site, and found this page, which includes:

Low-Voltage and Ultra-Low-Voltage Mobile Processors: Intel mobile processors with battery-optimized performance modes that drive average power usage as low as .5 watts.
That is probably with the computer idling, not doing any processing, not even moving the mouse cursor...

Hell, with the way computer makers fake their numbers these days, it could be with the computer in sleep mode... :rolleyes:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by illumin8
That is probably with the computer idling, not doing any processing, not even moving the mouse cursor...

Hell, with the way computer makers fake their numbers these days, it could be with the computer in sleep mode... :rolleyes:
Reread the quote. It says "as low as 0.5 watts." I read this as minimum of 0.5 watts. At 0.5 watts power consumption, the Centrino is not asleep, it is in a coma.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Originally posted by MisterMe
Reread the quote. It says "as low as 0.5 watts." I read this as minimum of 0.5 watts. At 0.5 watts power consumption, the Centrino is not asleep, it is in a coma.

Or turned off. :D

P-Worm

Tommy!

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2001
NH
Originally posted by P-Worm
Or turned off. :D

P-Worm

bwa hahahah. its funny, centrino brags "i can get 6 hrs of battery life and wireless internet!"

"uhhh.... sounds like my 4-year-old ibook......." ;)

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
see the light

Originally posted by cgc
I am not sure if these are the same, but when we talk about the G4 operating at something in the vicinity of 20W, is this power CONSUMPTION or power DISSIPATION?
They are the same unless the G4 consumes and destoys energy, or perhaps converts it into motion or light.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
speed

Originally posted by Tommy!
bwa hahahah. its funny, centrino brags "i can get 6 hrs of battery life and wireless internet!"

"uhhh.... sounds like my 4-year-old ibook......." ;)

Centrinos are pretty fast, though.

GulGnu

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2003
...and IBM especially has been squeezing out some pretty impressive *actual* battery time laptops using them. Nice tech, overall. Still lub my iBook though =P

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
Joking aside, the Centrino really is an energy efficient processor.

acj:

They are the same unless the G4 consumes and destoys energy, or perhaps converts it into motion or light.
Or electric/magnetic fields.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.