Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mongoose8p

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Chicago
Hey guys this is the OFFICIAL- Waiting for iphone unlock software thread. Post here when you think it will be released and what provider you will be using the unlock with. Myself, T-Mobile. General discussion about iphone unlocking. List your questions here. Here are mine.

What are the chances of unlock software working past 1.02?
Will Apple try to re-lock iphones with software updates?
Will iphonesimfree.com etc have updates themselves to deal with re-locking?

Thanks

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm still waiting for the iPhone to be a real smart phone, and not just a phone, and come to Sprint so it can have insurance on it and a faster network. I love the UI and I want the thing so bad, but right now... I might as well be in Canada :D

PatMack

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2006
Im waiting.

I have an iPhone on AT&T in th US, but i travel to Switzerland often. I have a local SIM card that I'd love to use.

Im also bringing 3 iPhones to friends in europe. That is of course, if the unlock comes out soon enough.

stadidas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Kent, United Kingdom
I'm sitting here in the UK, with my iPhone, waiting...

iPhoneSimFree said 48-72 hours, and that was on Wednesday, I really hope the software comes out soon.

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Im waiting for the software unlock to come out too... once I know its out and that it works (and its worth it) I just have one phone call to make and ill have my 8 gig iPhone on its way to me.

Its been a bit frustrating, first with the iPhone announcement (not being available to Canadians, like myself) and now with the subsequent delays in the software unlock.

iphonesimfree has go to release something soon, or else its just a load of garbage

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I too am waiting, impatiently.

I'm in Montana (no AT&T service), and am all set to sign up for T-Mobile when given the green light. I'm fairly confident that iPhoneSIMFree is not going to be a successful solution. They may have a working software (as verified by engadget and CNN), but i don't think they'll be allowed to sell it.

I'm also feeling that Apple will not allow unlocking software to pass updates, due to contractual obligations with AT&T. This leads me to believe the only solution for us is to wait for the Euro iPhones. That is, of course, unless Apple figured out a way to set up an exclusive agreement with the Euro carriers as well.

EDIT: So iPhoneSIMFree missed their mark for software release. For having an apparent 100% functional software unlock, these guys sure handle themselves like sketchballs...

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
EDIT: So iPhoneSIMFree missed their mark for software release. For having an apparent 100% functional software unlock, these guys sure handle themselves like sketchballs...

For a group that stand to profit immensely from their software, you're very right... they do handle themselves like sketchballs.

Maybe its time to look at other options.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
They are a bunch of sketchballs. Their credibility sinks every single day. It's not like CNN and Engadget are invulnerable to scams. What I think will happen is that the unlock will be released September 5th under the clever logic that they will make their announcements the same day as Apple's since there will be attention drawn to Apple's camp due to the iPhone launch. Problem is, if it's released on the 5th, it could hurt Apple and draw some attention away from what Apple is selling and Apple+ATT would probably have some grounds to file a lawsuit. Bad for customers, bad for everyone.

NJDevils44

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2006
They are a bunch of sketchballs. Their credibility sinks every single day. It's not like CNN and Engadget are invulnerable to scams. What I think will happen is that the unlock will be released September 5th under the clever logic that they will make their announcements the same day as Apple's since there will be attention drawn to Apple's camp due to the iPhone launch. Problem is, if it's released on the 5th, it could hurt Apple and draw some attention away from what Apple is selling and Apple+ATT would probably have some grounds to file a lawsuit. Bad for customers, bad for everyone.

sued over stealing apples shine?

Sdao

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007

I think they would have to have balls of steel to pull a move off like that. They already know what they are doing has brought forth a lot of legal attention from AT&T. Pulling a move like this would receive too much negative attention, and plus, all of this stalling has caused potential iPhone users (like myself) to question their (iphonesimfree.com) credibility.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006

Engadget got one of their own iPhones unlocked, and I think we all know that Engadget are a reliable source of information so I trust them when they say that.

mongoose8p

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Chicago
over at hackintosh ppl. are selling the software for tommorows relese i signed up if anyonewants to as well contact me or hackintosh forums

NomadicTy

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
I'm with T-Mobile right now. But after looking at the data plans compared to T-Mobile's, I wouldn't mind switching to ATT. I still wouldn't buy an iPhone until it can be unlocked. I travel outside the country for weeks at a time, and I like using the local SIMs so I can communicate with my local friends.

phildathrill01

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
OFFICIAL- Waiting for iPhone unlock software

Count me in...I'd love to get the software....I have T-mobile, and can't go another day not being able to call with the iphone.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
I wonder if the iPhone was on t-mobile how many people would be complain and trying to get to AT&T... I bet there wouldn't be that much of a difference.

The Stig

vikasy

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2007
SCAM ALERT: iphonesimfree.com is a SCAM

SCAM ALERT: iphonesimfree.com is a SCAM

Iphonesimsfree is a SCAM. Here are the details:

First i received the email saying that please send th epayment in accordance wit hthe proforma invoice. And the invoice gave the bank details where they wanted the money to be wired:

Bank Name: Istituto Bancario Sammarinese (IBS)
Address: Via Rivo Fontanelle, 96
47892 Gualdicciolo
Republic of San Marino (RBS)
Tel: 0549911321

Account Holder: Lucente Lorenzo

Account # 000030301062
IBAN: SM74Z0317109803000030301062
SWIFT (BIC): ISBMSMS1XXX
ABI: 03171
CAB: 09803

After the wire for 50 licenses is done. (which was 1800 dollars). I get the following email.

this the last email i got from them:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hello ,

Sorry for the trouble, but if you did not send the money yet, do not send it.
We are going to send you an updated invoice tomorrow with proper bank
coordinates. Sorry for the trouble.

--
Best regards,
iPhoneSimFree mailto:eek:rders@iphonesimfree.com

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This is a FULL BLOWN SCAM and i will be reporting it to all the internet scam monitoring agencies (CIA, FBI, etc...) Iam pretty much sure that iam not the only one getting scammed here and i am pretty much sure in the coming months or years they will get the scammer(s) apprehended.

iam not looking for my money, just a warning that DO NOT SEND THE WIRE.

regards,

Rick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.