Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
When you go to the games section of the iTunes store it says iPod games only compatible with 5th gen iPods. Coming Soon: Tetris, Ms. PAC-Man and Sudoku will be compatible with the iPod Nano (Video) and iPod Classic.

I have bought 8 iPod games off of iTunes, does this mean that when i get my Classic I have to rebuy them? Or will they be updated to support it, and if so how long before the other 4 that aren't currently supported are supported.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
When you go to the games section of the iTunes store it says iPod games only compatible with 5th gen iPods. Coming Soon: Tetris, Ms. PAC-Man and Sudoku will be compatible with the iPod Nano (Video) and iPod Classic.

I have bought 8 iPod games off of iTunes, does this mean that when i get my Classic I have to rebuy them? Or will they be updated to support it, and if so how long before the other 4 that aren't currently supported are supported.

That truly bites. You email iTMS support and ask if the paid games are going to get updated. Heck I have 5 year old GameBoy Advance games that work in my DS. No reason why iPod games should go stale that quickly.

amycishere

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
Yeah, I'd really like the new bowling game on ipod classic. I can't see why it would be any different than the 5.5 generation. Maybe the 5.5 was better and I just should of bought one.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The new ones are completely different hardware and OS. Games will have to be ported to work.

I assume they'll probably update any games that are popular enough, who knows if the update will be free for people who already bought them.

Were your game boy games five bucks each?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The new ones are completely different hardware and OS. Games will have to be ported to work.

I assume they'll probably update any games that are popular enough, who knows if the update will be free for people who already bought them.

Were your game boy games five bucks each?

Uh the Gameboy DS is a completely different hardware and OS from the Advance too. Nintendo just coded in support for Advance games in the DS. Obviously Apple did not do this with the "Classic." Price is irrelevent. That is the price Apple set. Would it really make a difference to you if Apple charged $10 or $15? The point is you paid for a game to work on a recent iPod system and now it doesn't work. That kinda blows. The fact it was only $5 makes it a little easier to deal with, but it still blows nonetheless.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Apple JUST shipped these new ipods. They will have new games, but none are ready yet.

At this point we have no idea what apple will do with old games. If they sold well, they'll likely port them to the new ipods. They may or may not offer a free or discounted update for people who have already bought.

So why not just wait and see what happens when apple starts releasing games instead of going into preemptive worst case scenario mode? If you're really that concerned, why don't you just call up Apple and see what their response is?

Apple's exact wording is:
"Coming Soon: Tetris, Ms. PAC-Man and Sudoku will be compatible with the iPod Nano (Video) and iPod Classic"

Sounds like a free update might be possible, you can't really tell from that. Why not just wait until ("soon") when these are updated and if it's buy again instead of a free upgrade, complain then?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That's a stupid thing to do, people buy these games and then they won't play on their new iPods? Every other video game system (even phones) has some kind of legacy support.

Fix it Apple.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
That's a stupid thing to do, people buy these games and then they won't play on their new iPods? Every other video game system (even phones) has some kind of legacy support.

Fix it Apple.

What's a stupid thing to do? Did you miss "Coming Soon: Tetris, Ms. PAC-Man and Sudoku will be compatible with the iPod Nano (Video) and iPod Classic"?

Apple has said they're fixing it, at least for those games. The question is whether it will be free, why assume the worst instead of just waiting to see what they do?

skyzophrenyk

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
sigh..

You know what I find funny about this? If this was everyones iTunes music collection, it would have made front page news and people would be freaking out, but because it's games, it doesn't affect anyone so nobody cares. Apple is really starting to disappoint me. First the iPhone thing, which I wasn't even affected buy, but it still makes me mad. Then you look at the game problem. On top of that, the 20 dollar TV-Out cable I bought is useless now and I have to go buy a new one that costs $50 and has a wall charger, which I have no use for. It'd be nice if it came with a car charger or something useful to me personally. Come on apple, get on the ball here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.