Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Yeah, I pretty much forgot about it after February, it's only now that's it's been discontinued that I think about it. I'm glad Apple stepped back from the third parties, let's face it, some things Apple should not do.. In my opinion..

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
It's kind of sad to see the iPod Hi-Fi fade away, but it wasn't exactly one of Apple's better products. The design could be a lot better, in my opinion. The sound quality, however, is really nice.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
I don't recall seeing it mentioned here at MacRumors that it'd officially been killed, though I recall people asking if it had been.

you're right in that there was no official MR news story about the iPod Hi-Fi's end, but it was covered in a story following the announcements yesterday.

even though it was not covered in a news story, it still is not surprising that it was discontinued, given that we've heard nothing about it from Apple since its release over 18 months ago.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Butt ugly, too. Especially when for the same money you could get the better-looking, more portable Bose. Needless to say, I have neither. A $20 component cable from my dock into the aux ports on my stereo amp is much more economical for the same results, thanks.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
you're right in that there was no official MR news story about the iPod Hi-Fi's end, but it was covered in a story following the announcements yesterday.

even though it was not covered in a news story, it still is not surprising that it was discontinued, given that we've heard nothing about it from Apple since its release over 18 months ago.

The story you linked to actually questions if it was discontinued or not, and only says its no longer in the Apple store. My linked article claims they've received official word from Apple. ;)

dustboy

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
I was surprised when this thing was released. 14 bazillion 3rd party iPod accessories, and Apple drops a $300 black box with absolutely nothing to distinguish it from the competition.

"Uh, what does that thing do?"

"Oh, that? You plug your iPod into it and sound comes out."

"Huh."

:rolleyes:

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Thank God. Out of all the Apple products in the last few years, the iPod HiFi was an abomination, and pure hypocrisy on Apple's part: "So now Ladies and Gentlemen, you get to listen to your tunes in amazing high fidelity, but this also acts like a dock(!) so you can go and buy some more great 128kbps iTunes songs without unplugging it! It's an audiophile's dream!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.