Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cybertron3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Mass
My coworker is having some problems with his iBook G4 and I (being the mac guy I am) volunteered to help set it straight. I have encountered a bit of a snag that seems quite strange to me. The problem is that when the computer boots and gets to the login screen, it goes into a deep sleep and can only be revived by removing the battery. It stays at the login screen for about 3 seconds before this happens. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this in advance so I don't have my usual supplies (OSX CD or a Firewire cable to go into target disk mode so I can poke around from my MBP). If the sleep problem were not strange enough, I cant boot into single user mode! It just keeps a black screen up. Verbose startup does the same thing. Has anybody here come across a problem like this before?

TIA

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Does it have an Open Firmware password enabled? The deep sleep issue sounds like it might be a dead battery, but it's difficult to say without more information... What were the symptoms before this started?

cybertron3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Mass
There is no open firmware password. It is running from the battery right now so I am thinking that is not it either. I brought a 10.4 install DVD but it wont boot. I select it in the DVD in the list of startup disks (holding option at startup). The screen goes gray and 2 min later it shuts down.

Update while I was writing this...

My coworker tells me that the iBook has suffered a series of falls at the hands of a small person (child). Hmmmm... previously omitted.... Although, if the hardware was broken, I would not expect it to really turn on at all.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Currently still using a nearly 4 yr old ibook G4 which has had a few
glitches once in awhile. It won't wake up or start up from being shut down.

I remove the battery, put it back in and that usually does it. Of course,
I then reset the pram and repair my permissions.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is out of left field, but is there any possibility the little battery on the motherboard is dead? Our iBook G4s have one, right? That might explain the failure to persist on some warm reboot requests (e.g. why it can't remember what disk to start off of).

cybertron3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 31, 2003
Mass
This is out of left field, but is there any possibility the little battery on the motherboard is dead? Our iBook G4s have one, right? That might explain the failure to persist on some warm reboot requests (e.g. why it can't remember what disk to start off of).

I had a similar problem with my PowerbookG4. It did not have a pram battery (button battery), but a backup battery. It was enough to keep the laptop powered for 2min in sleep mode without the main battery in place. When it died, I had problems starting the laptop from the battery only. I would need to plug it in briefly, hit power and unplug it if I wanted to be wireless. Could it be something similar with this iBookG4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.