Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Not sure anyone knows the answer to this question yet, but since iPod touch users and iPhone users will have free access to the iTunes store via Starbucks, does that mean they'll be able to use Safari for free too without going through T-mobile?

I'm crossing my fingers for this... Hopefully Apple can work out a similar deal with Borders and Barnes and Noble as well. Been working with Starbucks on this for two years though? Wow.... makes you wonder what else they're cooking up right now.

DCBass

(Also, lack of Notes on the iPod touch is unbelievable, but can you enter contacts and calendar entries on the go?)

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Actually i think that at$t has hotspots too, and that is free to iPhone customers. The problem is it's in crappy locations. Like mcdonalds and such. I don't know why they can't offer two companies in the same place and users have the freedom to choose what they want. cos i like borders.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Not sure anyone knows the answer to this question yet, but since iPod touch users and iPhone users will have free access to the iTunes store via Starbucks, does that mean they'll be able to use Safari for free too without going through T-mobile?

There will be no free WiFi for general internet use at Starbucks. It will only be free access to the WiFi iTunes store.

All other internet usage will be charged for.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007

I'm crossing my fingers for this... Hopefully Apple can work out a similar deal with Borders and Barnes and Noble as well. Been working with Starbucks on this for two years though? Wow.... makes you wonder what else they're cooking up right now.

DCBass

(Also, lack of Notes on the iPod touch is unbelievable, but can you enter contacts and calendar entries on the go?)
I don't think that the wifi is free there steve jobs didn't say anything of this, i think, in case that apple is already working with starbucks, that apple and starbucks come with a unlimited monthly fee to get free wifi in starbucks...

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
You get free access to a Store. What a revolution! :rolleyes: For this they "spent two years developing"?

they want to show people that they really care about it and that they work hard, in thoose two years they've also been discussing with starbucks probably..

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
I'm fairly certain it is just access to the iTunes Store through Starbucks that is possible for free. The new feature of being able to look up playing songs isn't limited to the iPhone and iPod. It works on MacBooks too.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
That's cool, I didn't know that comps in range get that iTunes-Starbucks thing too. Not bad.

Though too bad about the lack of completely free wifi. I prefer indie coffee shops around me anyway, but it would be nice to be able to pop into starbucks if only for the free internet since they're all over the darn place in dc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.