Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I am trying to decide between the classic and the touch. The main drawback of the touch for me is the amount of space. I have about 11GB of music and a lot of movies and tv shows. If I got the touch, I would have to cycle through them. I really like the wifi on the touch but am not sure exactly how much I would use it, probably more than I'd think. I am just having a tough time deciding between the two. A 150 dollar difference between the two is quite substantial. How long do you think it will be before a 32GB touch? I might be able to hold out for that. Thanks for your thoughts.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I'm holding off for a 32GB touch. I guess somewhere around February, but I wouldn't mind waiting a year - I'm not that desperate (as long as my trusty 3G 15GB with refreshed battery doesn't break) :)

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
I ended up getting the classic. I plan on getting a touch when the capacity gets bigger

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Honestly, if you really want a touch, get one. But, imo, you would also need to get a nano or a classic. There are times that you just cannot use the touch on the touch :rolleyes:

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Sounds to me like you should get the 80GB classic. To me, it seems like the touch is catering to people who are more interested in the screen/wifi and not having huge (10GB+) multimedia collections.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I've ordered an 8GB touch to become my primary iPod. I have 20GB of music and in excess of 120GB (yes, one hundred and twenty) of video content but I don't want to be carrying all that around at once. I'll sync over recent podcasts, my favourite music and a few videos. To be honest I'm tossing up whether to go for 16GB but I'm waiting to see how many of both we get in - I have to wait until stock is in good supply and all back orders are filled before I can get a discount - I ain't waiting so I'm just going to pay retail.

I haven't been this excited about a product in ages - gonna be sweet.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
im getting the 80gb classic then selling it and buying the 32gb touch when it comes out

AppleFan08

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Id say get the iPod Touch. Be real here. You said you have 11 gigs of music and an ass load of movies right? well, id say only sync either selected playlists, or fewer movies. So id say around touch launch time, go through & make a playlist of your favs. Because you definitely wont listen to 11gb worth of music every day, so swap em out :)

Billy213

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
I'm having the same trouble deciding..But instead of the 16gb touch its the 8gb. I would get the 16gb and solve all my problems but its like £110 more :( But i think i would LOVE the touch screen, I have 13gb of music, lots of different bit-rates and stuff. What I think I'll do is convert it all to one bit-rate, 128kbps say, and then make a play list that auto updates with songs of 5 stars. As i hear songs i want/ feel like listening to I'll just make it 5 stars and sync that play list again.

Just going through my music now i have realized exactly how much of my music i don't listen to and its really surprising. And as i download T.V shows I'll just put that latest episode on there each time it comes out and then watch it on the way to school. Once I've watched it I'll quite simply just remove it :)

John Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
Columbia, MD
Why don't you purchase both? :D Just kidding

I actually have the same question, but between the Nano and the Classic. I really like the Nano, but it's just a little small (capacity-wise) for my needs. Dimension-wise, the Nano is perfect.

I have about 11GB of music and a lot of movies and tv shows.
I have about 14GB of music, and not much of movies or TV shows.

I am just having a tough time deciding between the two. A 150 dollar difference between the two is quite substantial. How long do you think it will be before a 32GB touch?

How long before a 32GB Nano?

Billy213

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
I think that if you can manage your music well, such as picking the songs you listen to the most and then change around every so often then the touch is worth that $150 purely because of the additional features and the large screen. If you can afford to pay out more I'm sure you will be more satisfied with your purchase.

I also love photography and viewing the images on the large screen just looks stunning. Especially when you can just rotate the touch and the image resizes its self accordingly. And the Wi-Fi + Youtube would be great for in the house so i can show the family hundreds of pointless videos :rolleyes:

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I've ordered an 8GB touch to become my primary iPod. I have 20GB of music and in excess of 120GB (yes, one hundred and twenty) of video content but I don't want to be carrying all that around at once. I'll sync over recent podcasts, my favourite music and a few videos. To be honest I'm tossing up whether to go for 16GB but I'm waiting to see how many of both we get in - I have to wait until stock is in good supply and all back orders are filled before I can get a discount - I ain't waiting so I'm just going to pay retail.

I haven't been this excited about a product in ages - gonna be sweet.

Ditto although I got the 16GB on order.

I think this will be awesome. All I need to do is get more organised with playlists to reduce my 80GB iTunes library down to the best stuff I want to hear.

Billy213

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
I think this will be awesome. All I need to do is get more organised with playlists to reduce my 80GB iTunes library down to the best stuff I want to hear.

Once you sit down and go through all your music and create some useful smart play list's it's a doddle to get exactly what you want. I sat down and went through my collection (although much smaller) in roughly 20 minutes :)

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I can't justify getting the touch until it has the largest capacity available in the ipod line...just as much (or more) than classic. It can't be called the "best" ipod until it does.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
thanks for all of the suggestions, I have a 30GB ipod right now, but I think I might upgrade to the 80GB because its the same size (thickness wise) and more than twice as much space. I am going to check out the interface at best buy (no apple store in Maine :(:() and then see if its all worth the upgrade. Is the new interface worth it (along with the increased space). Also, my friend got his at best buy and used there warranty and apparently his 40 or 60GB had broken like 4 times (like my old photo) and after the forth time they gave him an 80GB video. Some sort of Lemon Policy. Has anyone else had any experience with the best buy warranty.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
thanks for all of the suggestions, I have a 30GB ipod right now, but I think I might upgrade to the 80GB because its the same size (thickness wise) and more than twice as much space. I am going to check out the interface at best buy (no apple store in Maine :(:() and then see if its all worth the upgrade. Is the new interface worth it (along with the increased space). Also, my friend got his at best buy and used there warranty and apparently his 40 or 60GB had broken like 4 times (like my old photo) and after the forth time they gave him an 80GB video. Some sort of Lemon Policy. Has anyone else had any experience with the best buy warranty.

I think you should keep your ipod and wait for the ipod touch to reach 32gb. However, I think you can do fine with the 16gb considering you have 11gb of music. Once you watch a movie or episode on the ipod, does it really need to be stored on it? Just sync over your latest podcasts/eps/movies to watch.

I'm getting the 16gb ipod touch, I have a similarly amount of music to you and plan to fill the rest of the ipod with videos in the manner I just described.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I think you should keep your ipod and wait for the ipod touch to reach 32gb. However, I think you can do fine with the 16gb considering you have 11gb of music. Once you watch a movie or episode on the ipod, does it really need to be stored on it? Just sync over your latest podcasts/eps/movies to watch.

I'm getting the 16gb ipod touch, I have a similarly amount of music to you and plan to fill the rest of the ipod with videos in the manner I just described.

I guess you have a good point, does anyone know what some good settings for handbrake are for the ipod touch?

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
I am still not sure, people who have an iphone, do you find the wifi useful, or is it just too small?

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
Also, my friend got his at best buy and used there warranty and apparently his 40 or 60GB had broken like 4 times (like my old photo) and after the forth time they gave him an 80GB video. Some sort of Lemon Policy. Has anyone else had any experience with the best buy warranty.

Sounds like he purchased the extended warranty/protection plan. A friend of mine had it on her Mini. It died after about 2 years, and they upgraded her to a Nano. Sadly, she waited about 2 months to get the replacement (This is for Best Buy in Canada, btw - though I think its roughly similar in the US).

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I am still not sure, people who have an iphone, do you find the wifi useful, or is it just too small?
I am looking at getting a Classic or Touch for myself. So I would like to hear the feedback on this as well.

I like the bigger screen and GUI (from the videos) of the Touch. At the same time I find the large HD space a nice feature of the Classic -- especially the 160GB model. Yesterday I played around with an 80GB Classic. Very nice. Also like the new Nano.

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
I have been struggling with this myself now for several days.

When I first saw the touch, I was dead sure I wanted one, but after some more thought, I'm leaning towards the classic.

Firstly, the classic offers me the storage I want and has a better battery life than the touch. The iPod has never been known for having great battery life in any model.

While I love the thought of having safari built into the touch, requiring a wifi connection is less convenient than it sounds. It's not like being on a cellular network that is available anywhere. Requiring wifi means you have to walk into a Starbucks (or some wifi equipped location) and you have to stay there until you're done. Not that convenient in my opinion. I still think it's a cool feature but not sure how practical or useable it is in real life situations. Kinda like watching a movie on the new nano. Cool feature but perhaps not that practical. Also not sure what that big screen is gonna do for the already bad battery situation. I also love the eye candy that is cover flow, but I find it annoying that you have to rotate the touch to use it. It seems that two hands would be required to do that comfortably (not to mention many other functions) which is rather awkward, especially if you're on the go.

This is probably the most important reason, more so than the battery issue, that I am leaning towards the classic over the touch. The click wheel. It is such an awesome design and is very much (imo anyway) greatly responsible for the success of the iPod thus far. I think this was obvious to Apple when they orientated the buttons above the wheel in the 3G iPod and subsequently put them back when they released the 4G iPod. Controlling everything in one hand using only your thumb, and in many cases,not needing to look at the screen is clever, well thought out design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.