Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CooLiSH

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Hello All ..
I am a bit confused between the 2, i need opinions

:)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
How large is your music and video collection? And do you need to have it all on one device, available to use at any time?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
There is no better. There is only capacity and price. Both devices do the same thing (when it comes to being an iPod).

Asking for advice on what to buy on these forums are generally met with the rhetorical question of what it is that you need. It should be understood that what you need is up to you. And what you need and what you want is up to you.

Siouxsie

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
Uppsala, Sweden
I'm going with the iPod classic 160 GB. The higher storage is more important to me than the largeer touch screen and WiFi is. My main use of the iPod would be music playback, so the WiFi feature isn't a priority even if it would be a nice perk. Same with the larger screen, I might use the iPod for videos every once in a while, since it's possible, but I wouldn't feel stumped if it only played music.

If you don't have a large media library I'd suggest the touch, but only because the storage capacity is the only thing that keeps me from going touch.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
Like others have said, its based on what YOU need/want.

For myself, I've been waiting for a fullscreen widescreen iPod for awhile. I fly a lot, and do a lot of business traveling in hotels with WIFI. I am kinda bummed the touch is only 16GiB, but I can deal. I've been using my 30GiB "classic" for awhile, and that doesn't sync my whole library either. I can just sync a few videos per trip, and be on my way.

Honestly, how many times can you watch the same movie or episode of House?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
That question is like asking "which is better a pen or a pencil." Each is useful for a particular purpose and both impractical for other purposes. I wouldn't write a check in pencil, nor would I use a pen to do a crossword puzzle.

The iPod classic is predominately a portable music juke than can also display video. It's strength is that it can hold your entire music collection and some movies too. It also has 7 hours more audio play time. Personally I could not watch a 2 hour movie on a 2.5" screen. 30 min is the longest I've gone w/o my eyes hurting. On the downside it weighs more than the Touch.

The iPod Touch is a full featured media player with a bias towards video, but also plays music. It's strength is that it has a nice widescreen and web browser. It's limited storage means you have to be a little more selective in what songs and movies you put on your player. It also has 7 less hours of audio play time than the Classic.

So you really just have to look at your own needs and decide if you need a pen or a pencil.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Is that me or the interface of the iPod Classic is really sluggish to the point of being irritating? I went to the local Apple store and checked out both the Classic and the Nano. The Nano seemed way snappier and was actually usable, unlike the Classic. Is this just me or is this for real?

iPhone's interface is very fluid and snappy. I would expect that the Touch would be just as usable.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I'd go touch if I had to choose. Plus touch has the opportunity to get much better with software updates and new apps, whereas Classic feature set will remain the same.

Other people will prefer the bigger capacity.

Other people will wait until they get both (no doubt for cheaper) with the next few revisions of the touch.

Eventually the touch will replace the classic. How soon depends on how quickly large capacity flash memory (32GB, 64GB etc.) is readily available.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hello All ..
I am a bit confused between the 2, i need opinions

:)

You can't say which is better. They are different. Which is better, a motorbike or a bus? Depends on how many people you need to transport, and what the weather is like. Same with iPod Touch and Classic.

The Classic can store a _huge_ music and video collection, and you can use it to transport data, backup your home directory and so on. The Touch stands out in a crowd, has a user interface that is pure luxury, can browse the Internet if you have Wifi, and has a bigger screen for showing videos and music.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
As others have said it all depends on your needs. For me the Touch just doesn't cut it. I want something that allows me to carry all my music at once and at the moment with only 16GB of space the Touch is not for me. I think the Touch is brilliant and no doubt sometime in the future will supersede the Classic in terms of storage, but I think that's a long way away yet.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
I already have an 80GB 5.5G and the only thing that gets me about it is the thickness of it. The fact that the 80GB classic is even thinner than the 30GB 5G is just incredible and it makes me want one as I'd have no problems carrying it.

The touch is just as amazing as the iPhone, especially considering how thin it is but it's only worth the price if you're going to use Safari and fair bit and don't mind the trade-off in capacity in favour of a better form factor and the screen.
Considering the lower price, same resolution screen (better video compatability) and design of the nano, I'd opt for it over the touch, even though that wasn't mentioned in the question. :)

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
The touch is just as amazing as the iPhone, especially considering how thin it is but it's only worth the price if you're going to use Safari and fair bit and don't mind the trade-off in capacity in favour of a better form factor and the screen.

And durability, and hack/upgradability! Why do people always leave that out?

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
iPod Touch Sounds Good...

At least if ur me. I have a 30GB iPod and i still have about 10GB free on it and I don't need all of my music on me all the time. I'm hoping to get an 8GB iPod touch 4 my bday. But as others have said it depends on how big ur library is, if you want all of it with you and how cool the touch screen is to you:D lol.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
iPod classic
+ lots of space - LOTS / heaps less hassle maintaining multimedia collection / never be without things
+ easy to use click wheel for music
+ games
- HDD is the thing most likely to cause problems, especially if treated poorly (dropped)
+ battery life (when you need more than 22/5 hours (classic 30/5, 40/7)
- 2.5" screen for movies

iPod touch
+ 3.5" (double the physical viewing area, double the pixels) screen
+ touch screen allows device to be a PDA (address book / calendar)
+ touch will get new Apps over time increasing its usefulness and fun - cutting edge * cool factor * touch you music is so nice * widgets?
+ wifi - can be a portable web browser when near wifi (on the couch/at the park)
+ durable screen and flash memory * less risk of scratch or crash
+ super small and light - easy to carry
- small space / requires regular effort to prioritise what you want
- only 5 hours of video - sheesh (7 with 160 GB model)

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Like everyone said, it all depends on your storage needs. The iLounge review of the Classic says its a great iPod, probably the best audio player Apple has made yet (sound quality wise) but the interface and coverflow just aren't the best thing anymore as the touch interface is the new king.

I am buying the Touch since I only have a 6GB music library (most of which doesn't need to come with me anyway) and I don't want/need to carry excessive video/music/pictures along with me anyway. Safari will be nice for checking up on some stuff (ie. maps, e-mail, phone , whatever) at wireless hotspots, like Safeways are around here...or my school campus, plus the ipod Touch just oozes technological pheromones in a way the classic just doesn't to me :p Plus $329 isn't all that bad, I paid $249 for an iPod mini a while back when they came out and a touch can do a hell of a lot more so...

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
*gives standing ovation*

very nicely said.

They both have their pros and cons. There is no "right" answer since they are both excellent. If for example the touch had a 15 minute battery life and was thick as a brick, then we would all say to get the classic, but since both devices are (apparently) very well made and are great at what they do, the decision can sometimes be grey. For me, I wasn't too happy on losing some capacity (I am coming from a 30 gig) but the truth is that the features the touch offers are more important for me.

That question is like asking "which is better a pen or a pencil." Each is useful for a particular purpose and both impractical for other purposes. I wouldn't write a check in pencil, nor would I use a pen to do a crossword puzzle.

The iPod classic is predominately a portable music juke than can also display video. It's strength is that it can hold your entire music collection and some movies too. It also has 7 hours more audio play time. Personally I could not watch a 2 hour movie on a 2.5" screen. 30 min is the longest I've gone w/o my eyes hurting. On the downside it weighs more than the Touch.

The iPod Touch is a full featured media player with a bias towards video, but also plays music. It's strength is that it has a nice widescreen and web browser. It's limited storage means you have to be a little more selective in what songs and movies you put on your player. It also has 7 less hours of audio play time than the Classic.

So you really just have to look at your own needs and decide if you need a pen or a pencil.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
do you want an old iPod with more space or do you want a touchscreen iPod that can go on the web?

Mr Jps

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2011
Don't be a douche, use your head

Seriously, if this isn't obvious you are crazy, I mean really. Get an ipod classic 160gb, don't talk ******** like wanting internet or fancy apps, you want a fancy app and internet and interface and all that other **** get an iphone or an android smartphone like the samsung s2. Like I said get an ipod classic for music and vids and get a good smartphone/touchphone for all the other ******** like games, apps, internet and all the other ****. An ipod touch is a waste of money, time and makes you look like a wannabe loser who couldn't affors to go out and get an ipod classic and a good quality iphone/smartphone/android/touchscreen and all the rest all the new phones have.

:D :mad: :eek: :mad: :) :apple:

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
In my mind, if you get an iPod Touch, you might as well go for an iPhone. Honestly, though, all four iPod models have their own niche. The Classic is great for a ton of storage and strictly for playing iTunes content. The Touch is great for a little portable device that you can play with and surf the web, etc. The iPhone has everything the Touch has plus a phone (and an IPS display and better design, IMO).

If it were me, I would either get the Classic or an iPhone.

I had a current-gen Touch when it came out and returned it a week later because 1.) I decided an iPad would be better for me, and 2.) not only would I have to take my phone around, but also my iPod Touch.

Bottom line (my opinion): if you're getting a Touch, go with a (white) iPhone. If not, I would say the Classic. An iPhone without the phone (and without IPS display) would be a Touch, which would almost be a burden (since you have to carry around another device).

I'm sure people will disagree, but that's just my opinion.

Aadi93

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
The answer to your question would purely depend on what you actually need. If you want more space and you are looking to keep your entire gallery and music and video collection in one place, then in my personal opinion, ipod touch is better.
smiles.png

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Seriously, if this isn't obvious you are crazy, I mean really. Get an ipod classic 160gb, don't talk ******** like wanting internet or fancy apps, you want a fancy app and internet and interface and all that other **** get an iphone or an android smartphone like the samsung s2. Like I said get an ipod classic for music and vids and get a good smartphone/touchphone for all the other ******** like games, apps, internet and all the other ****. An ipod touch is a waste of money, time and makes you look like a wannabe loser who couldn't affors to go out and get an ipod classic and a good quality iphone/smartphone/android/touchscreen and all the rest all the new phones have.

:D :mad: :eek: :mad: :) :apple:

Get out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.