Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
OK, so inorder to use the iPhone with the new iTunes it tells me I need to update to 10.4.10, but I just rolled back down to .9 because of the WIFI problems on my MacBook Pro. Has anyone found a work around using 10.4.10? Thanks a lot.

amusiccale

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I'd have to say I'd update the firmware on the router if possible--10.4.10's been kind to my wi-fi so far.

(but any ideas on the work-around would be good too, I suppose)

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
i had problems with wifi in 10.4.10 but not in 10.4.9 also. I bought a new router to remedy my problem and so far so good, I had a dlink and now I have buffalo.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
linksys > all

Thats what I have and until this thread was unaware a problem exsisted.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
linksys > all

Thats what I have and until this thread was unaware a problem exsisted.

I had a linksys then bought the mac and it didn't work, so I assumed it was linksys (and they don't officially support macs) so I foolishly bought an airport extreme to fix it and it didn't. Aftersearching macforums I found many ppl had a problem with wifi and 10.4.10 so I rolled back.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Only one Place w/ Linksys WRT54GS

No Problems here either, MBP 2.4 SR.

I have had a 1.83 GHz MBP and now a month old 2.4 SR MBP.... No troubles except one place w/ Linksys WRT54GS; the only place that I know has one that I use... need to Turn Airport On/Off once in a while to keep going... No big deal but somewhat annoying...:(

ultimateceej

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Texas
I used to have a Wi-Fi problem (not sure if it was 10.4.10 related) so I disabled UPnP on my DLink router and it's worked perfectly since.

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
I never had an issue with 10.4.10, have been using Netgear routers most of the time, and who knows what kind with the wireless at school and have had no issues with any of them.

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
I have had a 1.83 GHz MBP and now a month old 2.4 SR MBP.... No troubles except one place w/ Linksys WRT54GS; the only place that I know has one that I use... need to Turn Airport On/Off once in a while to keep going... No big deal but somewhat annoying...:(

same issue here :mad:

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
They fixed this issue with an update. Should be no problem now. Solved my problems.

And I had no problems until that update. Quite a few people with MBPs developed severe problems with that update. My connection will get dropped when the system is idle and won't reconnect. Other times (more frequently) the strength indicator will go from 5 bars to 3 and I will not be able to connect until I turn off the Airport and then turn it back on.

I did find a good fix for this that might help the original poster: check out the following thread on Apple Support and pay particular attention to Loki's post (quoted below) about half way down:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=970070&tstart=0

Loki at Apple Support Site said:
OK - I'm not positive about this but - so far it seems to be working for me (I've only got one day of testing under my belt, and will post again later after more testing).

I found another post about replacing the Airport driver (.kext) file with the one from the 10.4.10 update package. Like I said - so far, so good - and I'll post again this week if all is stil going well.

I've put the .kext file from the update package into my public .mac folder, along with the short instructions if anyone so desires.

To get it, in your Finder click on Go/iDisk/Other User's Public Folder. At the Member Name dialog box that opens, enter "djloki" - no quotes.

When my public folder mounts, grab the .kext file and follow the instructions in the text file also located there.

Hope this works for everyone else as well!

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
I wasn't aware of this issue either. 10.4.10 is working fine on all my systems including my old PowerBook G4. No wifi problems at all.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
thanks for the input. I figure keeping my info saved is a bit more important than not having to carry around a wire so I'm going to update.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I thought they released a fix for the Airport problems after the .10 upgrade?

There's been so many updates in the past few months I've lost track.

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
I thought they released a fix for the Airport problems after the .10 upgrade?

There's been so many updates in the past few months I've lost track.

As I mentioned before, that update fixed some people's problems and cause problems for others (myself being one of them). Since downgrading to the .10 updated driver, all my wifi problems have gone away. Some folks need the supplemental, post-.10 update, others can't function with it. For the latter group, I posted a solution that works for me and a lot of others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.