Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garrett

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
I am not too sure if this was ever touched upon on the keynote, or ever given an explanation? It's basically the same EXACT stuff as the iPhone but the case.

As they said they have been in development for a long time, I am sure they would've thought of a smarter plan.

It just bugs me that they make us wait for the most wanted iPod, kind of disappointing.

All I ask, why was it delayed?

beaker26

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Maybe more quality control and checking over it than the iPhone? It seems like they are about the same, but I'm sure Apple wants to make sure the Touch is working well. It also seems like the Nanos and Classics are slowly making their way to the stores, so maybe they wanted to jump ahead of Microsoft making an announcement in two weeks. Who really knows. Saves me $400 for a few weeks though.

kevinbal

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Storrs, CT
I'll take a stab and say that, while everyone was hoping for an phoneless iPhone, it was no sure bet by any standards. In order to keep it very much a secret, I'm sure they decided not to start production in order to ensure it wasn't leaked (like the new nano form factor was).

Could be other regulatory things too... but who knows. Could also be a calculated decision, coinciding with the iPhone price drop, to still try and capitalize the iPhone fever as much as possible by delaying the Touch.

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
Most likely they're working on building up stock.

I think they originally planned to have the iPod event later in the month when the iPod touch would be available for shipping right away, but they probably pushed up the event to avoid being caught up in the Leopard hype.

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
It's possible they are just beginning the manufacturing? I'm not exactly sure how long it takes to manufacture an iPod and ship, but I'm pretty certain it's not instantaneous.

Steven.nevets

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Vancouver, BC
maybe it's delayed to give Apple time to add in Mail, Notes, and a camera.

seriously, doesn't that screen look too empty? I hope Apple will put in a few more apps before shipping. maybe to reintroduce the hype closer to the "launch" of the iPod Touch.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
maybe it's delayed to give Apple time to add in Mail, Notes, and a camera.

seriously, doesn't that screen look too empty? I hope Apple will put in a few more apps before shipping. maybe to reintroduce the hype closer to the "launch" of the iPod Touch.

We can hope...

The way Apple left the iPhone and iPod Touch screens pretty much means there will be new apps in the future...

Other wise they would have made the icons fit the screen better.

Garrett

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
It's not delayed - Apple hadn't acknowledged the product existed, let alone a ship date prior to the keynote.
Ok smarta*s, you get well enough of what I was asking. Thank you for all of the other helpful replies.

YoNeX

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
Maybe it has to be cleared by the FCC first? And Sept 5th was the day they would submit the report to the FCC.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Here is an interesting point. Now, despite what everyone says, the iPod Touch is gonna sell like hotcakes! So, what better than ever to buy a new mac and get the student disctount on the new ipod touch, but oh wait, the student discount ends on the 28th, how mysteriously coincidencial...

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Yeah...I still think it will arrive end of September. Unfortunately :( I want my iPod touch now! :D

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Here is an interesting point. Now, despite what everyone says, the iPod Touch is gonna sell like hotcakes! So, what better than ever to buy a new mac and get the student disctount on the new ipod touch, but oh wait, the student discount ends on the 28th, how mysteriously coincidencial...
I'm pretty sure that the discount is only on old models, like it was the last time they did this.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's not delayed at all, they're releasing it exactly when they ay it's released.

It would have been unrealistic to expect the iPhone and touch to be announced and ship at the same time, it's a major, complex new product from Apple and releasing one is tricky enough. It totally makes sense to release iPhone first since apple is brand new to the phone market and having the touch first or at the same time would have stolen the iPhone's thunder.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Maybe it has to be cleared by the FCC first? And Sept 5th was the day they would submit the report to the FCC.

No, that was only the shuffle, nano, and classic. He specifically said the Touch would ship later this month.

As for why poster "emotion" wins the golden cigar. Apple views the iPhone as the "top of the line" iPod. A "top of the line" iPod should also have the most RAM or at least as much RAM as the next model down. Right now it does not. Come MacWorld Paris I think it will. But until they announce a 16GB iPhone they cannot ship the Touch.

boxandrew

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Oklahoma, OK
Could also be a calculated decision, coinciding with the iPhone price drop, to still try and capitalize the iPhone fever as much as possible by delaying the Touch.

This is what I was thinking. Try to catch the people who just can't wait by lowering the iPhone price. Good for both AT&T and Apple.

However, when I was in the Apple store the other day everyone at the iPhone desk was asking questions about the iPod Touch, so if that was the reason it doesn't seem to have worked.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
if you really want to check one out go to your local apple store, everyon i saw at my local apple store had iPod touches on there personal self to show off and demo..

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Job's said the video for the iPod touch was completed at 4am or something. Suggests to me this was only just an early production model. So its going to take a few weeks to get enough stock to have anything but an anaemic release - hence the delay.

Stang68

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2007
USA
Job's said the video for the iPod touch was completed at 4am or something. Suggests to me this was only just an early production model. So its going to take a few weeks to get enough stock to have anything but an anaemic release - hence the delay.

no no no...he said the commercial was completed at 4am.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.