Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
For the iPeople that love the touch. Discuss, rant, tell us your opinion.
Cheers :apple:

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
how about....where the hell is the voume control on this thing?

Good question.

I do know that by clicking the home button twice while the Touch is asleep, it'll bring up controls and you can quickly adjust the volume/track without unlocking the device.

It's honestly not that much bigger of a deal than having to blindly adjust volume on the iPod.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
One thing I would love to know, but we won't for a while, is how Apple is going to go about providing apps for it. I would love a few things like a PDF viewer or mail app or some of the other stuff the iPhone has (can't get one in Canada yet, plus im trapped in a 2yr contract anyway :p)

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
One thing I would love to know, but we won't for a while, is how Apple is going to go about providing apps for it. I would love a few things like a PDF viewer or mail app or some of the other stuff the iPhone has (can't get one in Canada yet, plus im trapped in a 2yr contract anyway :p)

Hax, I'm guessing. The community is thriving.

carve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
I have seen other people have done it with other ipods, the touch didn't have one.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
well i figured hacks would be big but how Apple is going to support things,I would much prefer official stuff.

I sort of see what you're shooting at, but at the same time, where would we be without our Mac shareware? I consider it the same on the iPhone/iPod. Apple provides some capability, but there's plenty of potential that they don't capitalize on, but that others are willing to fulfill. Their excuse with the iPhone was that they (ostensibly) didn't want third-party software screwing up AT&T's cell network. No such excuse with the iPod. Either they'll open up software development, or people will turn to hacking the devices to do what Apple won't allow.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
^ are the apps 'supported' though? Like are they gonna brick it when the new firmware comes out? I have no beef with third party stuff but the last thing I want is Apple bringing down the brickhammer on my $300 iPod

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
^ are the apps 'supported' though? Like are they gonna brick it when the new firmware comes out? I have no beef with third party stuff but the last thing I want is Apple bringing down the brickhammer on my $300 iPod

No reason they should. You're not modifying the system files or anything, just placing more folders in the 'Applications' directory, as it were.

I mean, I think that the programs themselves will stop working after firmware updates, but it doesn't harm the core system of the iPhone at all.

telf22

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
i really want some sort of MS Word app so i can write my essays on it then export it to my computer. that be would the cooliest!

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Only problem is you have to have WiFi to use that.. (Not a problem when i am at school)

How about when I am in the car though. A Notes app would be nice. ;)

On a side note, Who the heck is going to write an essay on an iPod.. You must be crazy!

Yeah, a Notes app is going to be the first thing I'm going to hack onto my iPod once I get it. Invaluable.

Genoskia

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
The iphone has a note application i almost bet you that if someone here has a iphone they could just pull it from its file system and put it on the touch

why cant apple make the ipod touch a little bigger and add a radio??? I WANT IT w/o the attatchment

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
The iphone has a note application i almost bet you that if someone here has a iphone they could just pull it from its file system and put it on the touch

why cant apple make the ipod touch a little bigger and add a radio??? I WANT IT w/o the attatchment

Well, you're lucky then. The iPod touch doesn't work with the radio remote currently. Hopefully Radio 1 will offer a quicktime stream soon so that I can listen to it over Wi-Fi.

MAW

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2007
Los Angeles
Hopefully it will be compatible with Safari by the time iPod Touch is released.

is it not compatible? i use it w/safari. or are you referring to "mobile" safari?

what i'm curios about is if apple will cripple the touch by not allowing input in certain text fields such as when composing web mail, or adding events to google/yahoo calendar, or taking notes with yahoo's notepad, or (as mentioned) google docs.

call me paranoid, but they've already pulled a bait and switch with the ical app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.