Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nl2134

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
My Audio Technica ATH-A900's are for use at home...

20070225.JPG

...and I use the Westone UM1's on the go, with my iPod

1605_7_westone%20UM1.jpg

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
I wish I knew more about amps. Someday soon I need to order a set of Grados and a nice budget amp. Suggestions?

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
100_0231.jpg

I just bought the Sony V6 headphones (left) 2 days ago, replacing the Sony CD280 headphones (right). I think I need to get an amp for them, I find myself having to crank the volume higher than usual to enjoy what I'm listening to. On the plus side, the cups on the V6's do a better job of blocking outside noise. My Mom has been using the same model for close to 20 years. Unless I'm mistaken, I know she was using the same style of Sony headphones since the late '80s. The highs are much more pronounced, the mids are more spread out(haven't gotten used to this yet!), and the lows can easily overpower everything.

Any recommendation for earbuds that won't hurt the cartiladge that's at the lower-front part of the ear? Every pair I have ever tried always make that part of my ear very sore.

esco

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2005
Myrtle Beach, SC
I wish I knew more about amps. Someday soon I need to order a set of Grados and a nice budget amp. Suggestions?

I'd probably go with the SR80's (or SR225's if you're willing to spend the $$) and the PA2V2.

I find the PA2V2 adds just the right amount of bass to the grado...check it out:)

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Just picked these guys up a few days ago. So far they work great for me! I'm just a designer, no audio guy here :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 251

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
the original QC headphones
qc1.jpg

My e2c's for everyday use
Shure_E2c.jpeg

and my apple headphones for walking to class/don't want to ruin my good headphones
apple_headphones_small.jpg

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I'm truly surprised that so many people here own Bose headphones.

Being on a forum dedicated to Apple, I thought people cared a lot more about quality.

Every Bose fan should read this: http://intellexual.net/bose.html

You can get much better headphones that Bose for much less money.

Like another poster, I've had these: http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-A500_Art_Headphones.html for nearly 3 years now. Much more comfortable than any in the Bose line. Better sound quality than any Bose. Won't break after 6 months of use, and cost less than $100 shipped now.

Would I buy them again? I'd upgrade to the A900s ;) Infact, I plan to maybe next year unless Audio-Technica releases something better.

Bose products should be avoided like a plague. Unless they were reasonably priced. For example, the original Triports and the new Triport OE should be more around the $20-$30 range.

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK

Being on a forum dedicated to Apple, I thought people cared a lot more about quality.
Ditto. But then again, being an Apple forum means that the regulars are more susceptible to fall to advertising & shiny things, & put up with equipment that suffers immensley from 'form over function' just because it's Apple.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
lost eden:
No. Bose isn't shiny or well advertised. Apple is both. And Apple don't use cheap as hell components and put a hefty price tag on the finished product. Apple use proper components and put a hefty price tag on the finished product. That's the difference.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I currently have the AKG K-66 headphones and they're great. I keep them at work for listening to my iPod. I recently realized that my Aiwa mini stereo pales in comparison to my AKGs in terms of sound quality. I'd like to get a new set of headphones for using at home.

My critera:
*Better than the K-66 (I want my home cans to be better than my work cans)
*$100 or less
*No headphone amp required
*Circumaural
*Open or semi-open back

Any recommendations?

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
lost eden:
No. Bose isn't shiny or well advertised. Apple is both. And Apple don't use cheap as hell components and put a hefty price tag on the finished product. Apple use proper components and put a hefty price tag on the finished product. That's the difference.

At least where I live, Bose is pretty much the only audio company that advertise in (non tech specific) press, such as newspapers, magazines, etc. You often see their little CD systems advertised at the back of TV listings magazines proclaiming how cheap it is at 12 monthly payments of £24.99 etc. It's here that they prey on the casual listener who doesn't know anything about audio equipment - if the advert says that it's awesome high quality, they'll believe it. When they take delivery, the placebo will make them believe what they're hearing too.

Oh & Apple certainly did used 'cheap as hell' components in my MacBook - on no other laptop that I have ever owned did I have to put up with sharp, jagged, unfinished plastic, screws that have completely stripped their threads, wristwrests that aren't properly attached, a lid that isn't even straight on one side & possibly the worst RJ45 socket I have ever used (obviously not a Foxconn). MacBooks are made by Asus, hardly the most luxurious of PC builders in the world. And don't get me started on things like the Apple remote - it's a tacky, cheap piece of plastic clipped together by some kid in China, which can't have cost more than £1 to make - & how much do Apple want if you buy one separately? £19.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon

Every Bose fan should read this: http://intellexual.net/bose.html

You can get much better headphones that Bose for much less money.

Like another poster, I've had these: http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-A500_Art_Headphones.html for nearly 3 years now. Much more comfortable than any in the Bose line. Better sound quality than any Bose. Won't break after 6 months of use, and cost less than $100 shipped now.

Would I buy them again? I'd upgrade to the A900s ;) Infact, I plan to maybe next year unless Audio-Technica releases something better.

Bose products should be avoided like a plague. Unless they were reasonably priced. For example, the original Triports and the new Triport OE should be more around the $20-$30 range.

Being on an Apple forum has nothing to do with quality. Many Bose users oblivious to anything else beyond the bottom-drawer market believe it to be ultimate quality, and in that way many Apple users are very similar.

You can't walk around with a pair of A900's. They sound better, but they're twice the weight, isolate about half as much (if that), have a 3-meter cord and are even more fragile than the Triports. The Triports add a small mound to your ears when worn. The A900's adds a pair of Burger King Whoppers.

There's an element of practicality / usability to many people's choices, especially a truly informed one. I'm absolutely no stranger to quality headgear and I use the Triports for casual commuting, because they're practical and sound good enough for the use considering everything else.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
At least where I live, Bose is pretty much the only audio company that advertise in (non tech specific) press, such as newspapers, magazines, etc. You often see their little CD systems advertised at the back of TV listings magazines proclaiming how cheap it is at 12 monthly payments of £24.99 etc. It's here that they prey on the casual listener who doesn't know anything about audio equipment - if the advert says that it's awesome high quality, they'll believe it. When they take delivery, the placebo will make them believe what they're hearing too.
You misunderstood. What I meant with well advertised was not the quantity of advertisement. It may be true that Bose advertisements can influence people to an extent where they think they're buying a high-end product, but I always thought Bose advertisements were simply ugly.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
This is a really good thread. I never realized there is such a range of earbud headphones...so here's the real question: in the $50-100 range, what pair of earbuds makes the most sense for listening to the ipod while running/traveling/working? I'm encoding all my CDs at 256kbps. How much will good earbuds improve my experience over the apple earbuds?

I'm leaning towards shure exc, but wondering if anybody has suggestions out there for products to compare against.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I'm looking into portable headphones, preferably open, reasonably priced if possible. Anyone got any experience with the AKG line up?

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Shotglass: I have the AKG K-66 headphones. I can wear them all day and not notice it. When I bought them, they were $60. They now cost $40, but even for $60 they are an incredible deal. They're not the best headphones out there but nearly every review that I have read suggests that they are an EXCELLENT value.

defsquad

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
birmingham, alabama
i currently use v-moda vibes (gunmetal) with my ipod after trying sennheiser c300, and shure e2c's. i wanted some "budget" earbuds to replace my lost 40$ pair of sony earbuds which were actually quite good despite them being cheaper sony earbuds. anyway, i stuck with the vibes after break-in of all 3 headphones and testing with the type of music i listen to most (a variety of heavier rock like reveille, deftones, sevendust, demon hunter, project86, etc; underground hiphop stuff and turntablism such as dj krush, dj shadow, dj kentaro, dilated peoples, atmosphere, aesop rock, etc; lastly downtempo like kruder & dorfmeister, thievery corporation, thunderball, etc.); i just found that the vibes held their own in the biggest departments for me.. clarity, clear highs, solid lows, and decent mids.. the c300's had THE MOST bass, while it had not so great highs and mids, the shures had decent mids but not great lows or highs (i think these --the shure e2cs-- have the best clarity for certain types of music, but not for the genres of music i listen to on a daily basis).

anyway, with all of that said, i'm really happy with mine and about the only thing i'd like to get for these are some of those foamy type plugs like you can get for the shures and etymonics and other brands.

EDIT: here is a link to the v-moda vibes: http://www.v-moda.com/collection/modaphones/vibe.aspx, i'll post a pic of mine with my ipod when i get home from work today if anyone cares.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
This is a really good thread. I never realized there is such a range of earbud headphones...so here's the real question: in the $50-100 range, what pair of earbuds makes the most sense for listening to the ipod while running/traveling/working? I'm encoding all my CDs at 256kbps. How much will good earbuds improve my experience over the apple earbuds?

I'm leaning towards shure exc, but wondering if anybody has suggestions out there for products to compare against.

The Apple Earbuds aren't all that bad considering they're bundled. What you'll find with most other players will sound far worse.

However, you will find a good pair of Shures will really step up massively in terms of sound quality over most other 'high quality earphones' you'll find. Other good brands include Sennheiser, Grado and Bang & Olufsen.

I rip all my music at 256, and I've found it's the best compromise. Stepping up to 320 kbps produces next to identical-to-CD sound. Stepping down to 192 kbps produces really irritating warbling and generally flattens the sound out (unlike 256, which seems very vibrant and warm in comparison).

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
I currently have the AKG K-66 headphones and they're great. I keep them at work for listening to my iPod. I recently realized that my Aiwa mini stereo pales in comparison to my AKGs in terms of sound quality. I'd like to get a new set of headphones for using at home.

My critera:
*Better than the K-66 (I want my home cans to be better than my work cans)
*$100 or less
*No headphone amp required
*Circumaural
*Open or semi-open back

Any recommendations?
Even though it's closed, I have some wonderful experience with Sennheiser's HD 215. They were about 70-80€ when I bought them, and they're both sturdy and sound great.

Those K-66 look quite nice, but I'm afraid they're too big. Right now, I'm looking at K 412 P and K 26 P.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
It's amazes me how much money is spent on headphones sometimes :rolleyes:

Anyway, these are my pair - at a more modest price range for me. They sound excellent, great range and strong bass. I had the old MDR-EX70's way back in '01 I think, before all the hype with sticking stuff far down your ears. Served me well until about a year ago when the sound went bust in one ear :(

Sony MDR-EX90LP, use mainly with my iPod Touch...

sonymdrex90lp.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.