Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
hi all, ive recently converted to mac and replaced my 8 month old Vaio AR11s with a new white macbook(2.16ghz).

love it...but recently im having all sorts of problems with the wireless. ive been reading this forum for a week of so now and realize that im not alone with my wifi woes.

my problem is the fact that my wireless intermittently drops and although the signal strength is still showing full i have no internet connection until i turn off and on the airport card.. this happens on both psu and battery!

i have tried installing the 2007-004 update,deleting the airport.plist file and the 2007-002 update and it appears to fix the fault for a while but then it comes back :( hence this post now as im lost...

is there any fixes i havent tried? ive also messed with enable/disabling frame bursting,different channels on my netgear wnr834n router but my other mac(using ethernet,bought a 24" imac tuesday!) and wifes vista laptop(wifi 802.11g) are fine so i have ruled out the router..

ANy other ideas?

Thanks in advance

Andy..
{new macbook&imac owner)

ebel3003

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
"The Google"
I've had the same issues with Wifi on a MacBook Pro. This seems to be an issue with the latest version of Tiger (10.4.10) because prior the the update, my wireless worked perfectly.

Unfortunately I've not been able to uncover a temporary fix for this.

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately my macbook wont allow me to install that 2007-002 update as im assuming that i have a newer version installed..

and no im not running any vmware software :(

the weird thing is i had this problem when i first got my mac(obviously after i ran apple update) so i reinstalled from the restore disks and the problem went away until i ran apple update again..

im currently trying another suggestion from another thread and setting my preamble mode to short... so far so good this evening but im sure it will always change.

i guess i can only hope they fix this in leopard?

Thanks again all.

Andy..

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
Since 10.4.10 I'm having also some issues, sudden disconnection of wifi. Very strange, btw. I am using Cisco VPN client. There is a repeater some 10 m away from where I have my machine. I think that this did not happen with 10.4.9, but I may be mistaken.
The Cisco VPN client has all sort of issues, but the disconnection has nothing to do with them, not this time (The linux version is even worst, and the windows.. well as bad as the linux one.) In my case I am dropped and the signal strength dropped to zero, after some minutes it reconnects... Maybe the repeater is faulty.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I've had the same issues with Wifi on a MacBook Pro. This seems to be an issue with the latest version of Tiger (10.4.10) because prior the the update, my wireless worked perfectly.

Mine has been acting up for about a month now. I think that was two updates ago (10.4.8 or 9). :(

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
I posted in another thread on something else to try that worked for me. This helps for those whose wifi problems only started with the latest (post 10.4.10) update to the wifi. In short, the following link tells you how to revert back to the 10.4.10 driver. Understand though, some folks had problem with the driver in that version so you might have to find a pre-10.4.10 driver.

Here's the link to my previous post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/4157772/

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
thanks viremia ive just applied that fix and so far so good!!! strange enough web browsing seems noticeably faster! and 20mins so far with no dropouts!

could this really be the solution? thanks again for your help, ill see how it goes today and post back later..:)

ale500

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I read the thread at Apple's, and well is evidently not the same issue. I get maximum I drop a day, if I get it, not every hour or so. I will leave it as it is, for the time being.

Thanks !

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
bugger ive just noticed that although the fix i applied (above post) seems to have worked but the driver installed are not the 'N' enabled version so although im not experiencing any problems im not running at 'N' speeds :(

might revert back to my newer driver and drop my router down to 54g for the tim being.

;(

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
bugger ive just noticed that although the fix i applied (above post) seems to have worked but the driver installed are not the 'N' enabled version so although im not experiencing any problems im not running at 'N' speeds :(

might revert back to my newer driver and drop my router down to 54g for the tim being.

;(

Yeah, it will get rid of the 802.11N patch that was applied. If you purchased the N patch from Apple, you can just reapply it. That's what I did. I'm running at N speeds and with no drop outs since I applied the rollback of the wifi driver.

Tommie Montana

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
I posted in another thread on something else to try that worked for me. This helps for those whose wifi problems only started with the latest (post 10.4.10) update to the wifi. In short, the following link tells you how to revert back to the 10.4.10 driver. Understand though, some folks had problem with the driver in that version so you might have to find a pre-10.4.10 driver.

Here's the link to my previous post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/4157772/

Thanks very much, this seems to have solved my Wifi dropouts.

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Yeah, it will get rid of the 802.11N patch that was applied. If you purchased the N patch from Apple, you can just reapply it. That's what I did. I'm running at N speeds and with no drop outs since I applied the rollback of the wifi driver.

coool just re-applied the fix again and found and installed the enabler ;)

fingers crossed this will fix it. hopefully should find out in a few hours.

thanks again.

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
nope the problem seems to only occur when using 'N' so now im thinking that maybe it is router related? but im still not convinced 100% as a college has the newer v2 version of my router(wnr834b) and also has this problem..

switched the router to 54g and the problems seem to have gone away..

surely it has to be driver related?

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
AL
It seems my computer does not like linksys routers. Also had problems with netgears n-draft...

Seems to run perfectly fine on anything else.

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
im considering just going out and buying the new airport extreme....but i cannot guarantee that its going to work i suppose..

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
It seems my computer does not like linksys routers. Also had problems with netgears n-draft...

Seems to run perfectly fine on anything else.

I haven't had any problems with the one linksys router I've connected to, but it was a g-router. I also had no problems with a netgear g-router, but haven't tried one of their n-routers.

My D-Link DIR-655, while not cheap, works fine. I got it for the configurability and gigabit ethernet plus n-wifi.

iBecks

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I haven't had any problems with the one linksys router I've connected to, but it was a g-router. I also had no problems with a netgear g-router, but haven't tried one of their n-routers.

My D-Link DIR-655, while not cheap, works fine. I got it for the configurability and gigabit ethernet plus n-wifi.

I used the fix that you posted and it worked a treat, I have this working with 4 different routers with no problems now whatsoever.

Netgear WNR834B - N Router
Linksys G Router
Buffalo G Router
Apple Airport Extreme

Thanks for your help

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
I used the fix that you posted and it worked a treat, I have this working with 4 different routers with no problems now whatsoever.

Netgear WNR834B - N Router
Linksys G Router
Buffalo G Router
Apple Airport Extreme

Thanks for your help

your netgear router you are using(wnr834b) is it the v2?

my macbook is nearly 2 months old and my imac is 2 weeks old, i can only assume that its the Draft'N' parts of the netgear router as 54g works flawlessly with no dropouts, but my 'N' connection with fix and enabler dropped out within 5 minutes.

the annoying thing is the fact that my macbook could work for hours without dropouts then suddenly it starts and becomes more apparent. i cant see how its my macbook as my colleges 1 week old macbook does the same with the same router....

aww well a trip to the apple shop for me tomorrow to spend more money on a airport base station i guess..

thank god for crazy overtime rates ;)

Andy.

zippster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
well my suspicions were correct,1 airport extreme(gigabit), 24 hours later and hammering my MB last night and this morning(on batt and best battery life) shows no signs of signal drop. i haven't had to turn off the airport once!!

so for me anyways it looks like it was the problem with my netgear V1 wnr834b.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.