Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascham87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
IMPORTANT
Read this first before asking questions:

What we know (General):
- The current Firmware (1.1.2) CANNOT be unlocked via the free unlocking software AnySim. It must be unlocked via a TurboSIM/SuperSIM/etc. (See the What if I have a 1.1.2 firmware iPhone? section below for more info on alternative unlocking measures.)
- You can "fake" activate your iPhone and use it like an iPod touch with extra features.
- You can (after a normal or "fake" activation) unlock your iPhone and use it with apparently a great deal of non-AT&T GSM carriers.
- There is a GUI unlock program.
- After a successful unlock, you cannot use visual voicemail on any network other than AT&T.
- After a successful unlock, you can make and receive calls, use the internet, and use the other programs on the iPhone.
- After a successful unlock, you need to change some preferences to use the unlocked provider's EDGE settings. (Note: You'll want a data plan so as not to kill yourself on the data fees.)
- It has been tested to be working on the nearly all GSM carriers with virtually no problems. (Please feel free to message me with any carriers who are not working 100% with the unlock as long as it is a known CARRIER issue.)
- This functionality becomes disabled with future software updates (This is not a 100% certainty, but has been the standard process since the beginning)

What we know (Firmware Specific):
1.0.0-1.0.1:
(Note: These are the oldest firmwares and are not the current firmwares loaded on iPhones sold. The odds of buying one of these would be very slim to none.)
With that being said however, if you own one and never updated past 1.0.2, but are looking to unlock your iPhone, the process is relatively simple. However, as the odds of these being the ones needed to be unlocked is slim to none, I am not going to go in detail on the process here (sorry guys!).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edge Settings:
(Change these settings on the iPhone under Settings -> General -> Network -> Edge)

T-Mobile (USA)
APN: wap.voicestream.com
username: Leave Blank
password: Leave Blank

The Kudos
Thanks to the entire dev team for their efforts! If you use this, please consider donating to the devs who made this possible. iPhone Dev Donations link

JloR

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2006
Denmark
And still not possible to download :) His server is under a massive DoS - wonder why.. Anyone up for playing the mirror game? (I would if I could, but can't because I have to have something to mirror)

Seeing as people are smarter than me (surprise!) and uploads to rapidshare and alike, there's no reason I donate BW for it :)

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I downloaded it but the file in the archive has no extension whatsoever. It's just iUnlock

yoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2003
In the Bowels of the Cosmos
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

its a tiny movie time bomb. When played all iPhones within a 10 meter radius explode.

alanisrox69

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
You gotta SSH it into the phone root and then run it in WinSCP.

Sorta like how you do the screencap application.

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
Ahh, this whole situation reminds me of the good old days of cat an mouse with Direct Tv, and the 'modding' of their access cards!

ascham87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Chicago, Illinois
Ahh, this whole situation reminds me of the good old days of cat an mouse with Direct Tv, and the 'modding' of their access cards!

Except that it was blatantly illegal and what most with ethics would call "stealing". :) Plus, this isn't very cat and mouse, Apple doesn't give a crap, AT&T is just a means to an end for them to get their phone out. Apple is known to "crap" on partners, I wouldn't be surprised if they do little to stop this.

KYBOSH

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2007
well its not a .dmg, .sit, .zip or .rar file.

gotta wait for the writeup.

update:
seems that it is a zip although its not recognized with stuff it. maybe the file i got was incomplete.

udpate:
the file is easily downloadable at the iphone dev wiki page but its only 6.3kb and there aren't any instructions...
plus i thought they werent going to reverse engineer it anyway.... guess with steve saying they wont protect against a hack they decided to give up the ghost.

KYBOSH

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2007
Except that it was blatantly illegal and what most with ethics would call "stealing". :) Plus, this isn't very cat and mouse, Apple doesn't give a crap, AT&T is just a means to an end for them to get their phone out. Apple is known to "crap" on partners, I wouldn't be surprised if they do little to stop this.

There are higher crimes going on in society happening EVERYDAY that ppl aren't nearly as vocal about as when someone decides to crack software or get DAVE on their TV without paying.

mashoutposse

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2003
vega: You can download everything right on his site. It works! :D

The usage of the file should be clear to anyone who has done the old hardware unlock method. Those instructions are VERY noob-friendly -- use it!

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
I found on the Hackint0sh forums their offical guide to using the free iPhone unlock:
The original link to this (site is slow at the moment) is here:
http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5799
Code:
Thanks to Harro and dev team and sam

Crackers software unlock guide with files

May need to install bsd subsystem. The rest should work!

Preliminary Steps:
• Have the system restored with 1.02.

Lets Start

• Connect your iPhone via USB Cable to your computer

• Ignore and shut down iTunes

MAC: The following tasks involve using iNdependence.
PC: The following tasks involve using iBrickr

• Jailbreak your iPhone using iNdependence or Brickr
• Activate your iPhone using iNdependence or Brickr (or Iasign for PC)
• Install SSH using iNdependence or Brickr

Install the BSD Subsystem. Use AppTapp or iBrickr

PC+MAC:

• Now we want to copy the files from the Required Files folder

• Copy the Files to your desktop.

Use an SFTP client

Mac: I used fetch to connect to your iPhone. - Some people are having problems with fetch. I will investigate and update soon.
PC: Use WinSCP

• Make a new connection using your iphones ip and the login: root and pass: dottie

• Specify the path as /usr/bin

• If you can't directly connect to the /usr/bin directory try locate it in your Sftp client.

• Copy (drag from your computer to ipod dir screen) the files across and specify that they are all 0755 permissions.

SSH Connection:

MAC: Open Terminal (on mac) and type in: "ssh -l root xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (The xxx's are your iphones ip address - dont type the "")

PC: Open Putty and type in your ip of your iphone and hit connect
PC: You will be asked for a login: root and a password dottie

MAC: You should be asked for a password, enter dottie

MAC: Now at the prompt type launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist NOTE if this didn't work, just do the PC method directly below.

PC : This bit didnt work for me, the unload of the commcenter so I went into my SFTP client, navigated to the LaunchDaemons directory and just copied the commcenter file to my desktop, then deleted it from the iphone

• Type mkdir -p /usr/local/etc and hit enter.

• Your folder to save minicom data is now prepared.

• Type in: minicom -s and hit enter

• Navigate with the arrow keys down to Change serial and press enter

• Press A

• Press delete until all you are left with is /dev/

• Type in tty.baseband (it should now look like /dev/tty.baseband)

• Press Enter

• Press ESC

• Navigate down to exit and hit Enter

• Type in AT and hit enter. You should see it say OK.

• Hold Control and press A. Let go of the buttons and Then press X. It will ask if you wish to exit. Hit enter.

iUnlock Time:

• Type in cd /usr/bin and hit Enter

• Type in iunlock ICE03.14.08_G.fls nor and hit enter. It should complete after a little while.

• Type minicom and hit enter

AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0
AT+CLCK="PN",0,"00000000"
AT+CLCK="PN",2

Now back in SSH type launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist

Restart your phone

The iphone has now been software unlocked

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.