Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
So, was wondering which songs make good ringtones?

I thought about Blondie's Call Me. What else?

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
So, was wondering which songs make good ringtones?

I thought about Blondie's Call Me. What else?

That's cute. ABBA's "Ring Ring". The White Stripes' "My Door Bell". Talk Talk's "Talk Talk". Yaz's (Or Yazoo's, depending on if you're in the UK or the States) "Bad Connection". Silver Scooter's "Tribute To The Phone Calls". Tom Waits's "Telephone Call From Istanbul". The Straford 4's "Telephone". The Be Good Tanyas' "Broken Telephone". Those should give you a start, anyway. Bear in mind I haven't checked those to see if they are iTunes ringtone-approved and I own a lot of them from CDs so iTunes won't let me use them.

I'm using Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Sixteen Tons", which I already bought from iTunes and was surprised to find was ringtone-friendly. Used to use the theme from the 1970s "Sanford and Son" TV program on a Nokia phone -- look at my user name; that's my real name -- but I haven't checked to see if iTunes has it available for ringtones. I'll probably buy about 10 ringtones and then the thrill will be gone, but it's a very elegant little ringtone-purchasing solution with a much wider and diverse variety -- I mean come on, Ford's "Sixteen Tons"? -- than you'll find with any mobile carrier.

Face it: the best ringtone for an iPhone is the Alarm ringtone personalized for your boss, mother-in-law, substance abusing cousin, money-borrowing kids, ex-wife or ex-husband (or unmarried versions of each) or whomever.

EricBrian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2005
That's cute. ABBA's "Ring Ring". The White Stripes' "My Door Bell". Talk Talk's "Talk Talk". Yaz's (Or Yazoo's, depending on if you're in the UK or the States) "Bad Connection". Silver Scooter's "Tribute To The Phone Calls". Tom Waits's "Telephone Call From Istanbul". The Straford 4's "Telephone". The Be Good Tanyas' "Broken Telephone". Those should give you a start, anyway. Bear in mind I haven't checked those to see if they are iTunes ringtone-approved and I own a lot of them from CDs so iTunes won't let me use them.

I'm using Tennessee Ernie Ford's "Sixteen Tons", which I already bought from iTunes and was surprised to find was ringtone-friendly. Used to use the theme from the 1970s "Sanford and Son" TV program on a Nokia phone -- look at my user name; that's my real name -- but I haven't checked to see if iTunes has it available for ringtones. I'll probably buy about 10 ringtones and then the thrill will be gone, but it's a very elegant little ringtone-purchasing solution with a much wider and diverse variety -- I mean come on, Ford's "Sixteen Tons"? -- than you'll find with any mobile carrier.

Face it: the best ringtone for an iPhone is the Alarm ringtone personalized for your boss, mother-in-law, substance abusing cousin, money-borrowing kids, ex-wife or ex-husband (or unmarried versions of each) or whomever.

Wow, tons of great choices! :) Gonna try a couple of them.

whistler72

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
My ringtone is from "The Wonder Pets".

"The Phone, the phone is ringing... the phone, we'll be right there....."

G75

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2007
Somewhere in the Milky Way.
Well, apparently not "Feel Good Inc" by the Gorillaz. Despite being 14th on the "Top Ringtones" list, you can't actually USE it as a ringtone in iTunes.

I would know. :mad:

:apple:
G75

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Intros to kids' songs are great.

Cut them down to end before the characters start singing. Almost every song by the Doodlebops starts out with a great ringtone opportunity.

Also, find albums of movie soundtracks but don't use the main theme. Listen to the closing credits for 'Raiders of the Lost Ark.' Skip past the loud and obvious "Indiana Jones Theme" to the quieter parts. Some of those are ringtones on my phone.

lapocompris

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
I made my ringtones from:
- In the black of night (by Slow Train)
- Piensa en mi (by Luz Casal)
- Lilly (by Pink Martini)
- Rhythm (by Casey McGill)

sawatzky

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
convert it

Well, apparently not "Feel Good Inc" by the Gorillaz. Despite being 14th on the "Top Ringtones" list, you can't actually USE it as a ringtone in iTunes.

I would know. :mad:

G75
Almost all of the Apple store tunes are now DRM (Digital Rights Management) free, meaning you can use them to create ringtones. No song is a ringtone out of the box - it has to be converted to a ringtone, and saved to iTunes in a ringtone format. There are free or cheap apps in the Apple App store to do this.

If your Gorillaz tune has DRM on it, you may be able to upgrade it to a non-DRM version in the iTunes store for 40 cents or so. :)

Travis Bickle

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2011
years ago i had one of the original windows based mobiles (HTC canary or orange SPV)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_SPV and i used to have Van Halen's "jump" intro on there as my ring tone.....must redo it sometime as it was a great tone and easy to listen out for. The phone was great for the time and really microsoft could have had the whole smartphone market sown up if they had the vision of apple.

My existing one is a funky ultrasonic one whereby it starts with some feedback type of noise then slowly goes very high pitched to the point i can't hear it then back down again - fantastic for noisy environments like clubs, bars etc as i seldom miss a phone call.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
At the moment I am using Voodoo Child (Hendrix, of course). Also on my phone are Good Riddance (Green Day) is good. Funk 49(James Gang). Spring (Vivaldi). Testify (SRV)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Currently using the harmonica intro to Blues Travelers' Run Around... also use others from time to time - the BBC Sherlock theme (The Game is On), Tom Fogerty's Centerfield (in baseball season) and my alma mater's (Indiana University) fight song.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.