Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwross

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2007
Efksoft seems like a pretty good group of folks and their software has gotten great reviews. They even have a link to iToner on their site for folks that run OSX, which I think is pretty cool of them.

However, I was impressed with iToner's quick response to the 7.4.x issues. Perhaps the challenges on the Windows side are a bit greater than on the OX X side.

Moki..how 'bout giving TJ over at Efksoft a jingle and pass along some secrets :) We are all one big iphone family right?

*sigh* I just want my own, personally, created ringtones on my own personally purchased iphone...how has this become so bloody complicated and difficult. I seriously doubt iTunes will have a clip with my kids saying "Pick up the phone Daddy..."

Reactions: veera185

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
This is a post for the people that our having problems creating Ringtones with the updated iTunes (v 7.4). This is the way I am doing it. It is by no means the ONLY way, but it is a way that works for me as well as keep everything organized.

(1) Select your song. If you want to edit it (picking a particular starting and ending point) you can use the method described in earlier posts (see below) or with some free audio programs. I am on a MAC and like Audacity, but there are others.

(2) Create a folder titled "iPhone Ringtones" so you can keep track of all your Ringtones and come back to them if you need to. This also keeps all of your files neat and tidy and causes less confusion as to where your files are.

(3) If you are using the "itunes" method, select your original song in iTunes. Select "Get Info" in itunes. Click on the "Options" tab. Here you can increase the volume as well as select a starting and ending point for your song.

If you are using this method, you can skip step 4.

(4) If you are using an audio editing program, edit your song and then export as an AIFF or WAV file. Export the song to your "iPhone Ringtones" folder

(5) Open your exported song in iTunes. Select your song and right-click (if you don't have a right-click mouse, use control-click). Select "Convert Selection to AAC." This option is available to me because I have my settings under "Preferences/Advanced/Importing" to "Import Using AAC Encoder." Once it is done converting, right-click the converted song and select "Show in Finder." This will reveal where the song is located on your hard drive. Move the song to your designated "iPhone Ringtones folder" that I told you to create in step 2. If this is merely copying the file and not actually moving it, delete the original file if you don't want duplicates all over the place. Again, this keeps things nice and tidy.

(6) Delete the MP3 playlist file (the one you used BEFORE converting it to AAC) as well as the converted AAC playlist file from iTunes. This will keep iTunes from having several different directories for the same song, keeping things tidy and neat as well as keeping you from having a headache on keeping track of where everything is.

(7) Create a playlist on iTunes called "iPhone Ringtones." This is also for convenience sakes. It will help you have easy access to your Ringtones "playlist" and be the only place where iTunes keeps a directory of your Ringtones items (besides the Ringtones tab).

(8) In the finder, select the song you converted to AAC and press "Command-I" (or right-click and select "Get Info.") and IN THE GET INFO WINDOW (NOT the finder) change the extension of this file to "m4r" - IMPORTANT - Do NOT change the extension name in the finder. IT might appear as m4r in the name, but if you Get Info on this file, you will notice that the file now has TWO extension to it (i.e. "Start Me up.m4r.mr4") which REALLY confuses iTunes as well your iPhone.

**The song HAS to be in an AAC format FIRST before proceeding to renaming the extension. MP3s do NOT work. Repeat, MP3s do NOT work.

(9) Select your mp4 (lowercase works just fine) song and drag it into your "iPhone Ringtones" playlist in iTunes.

(10) Now sync up your iPhone, select the "Ringtones" tab. Select your songs and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

ALL: The above works perfectly even with iTunes 7.4.1. The key is that the song must be in AAC format and named .m4r, initially. Then double-click on the .m4r file and that step will add it to iTunes, but before you can sync with the phone you must go back into the iTunes Music/Ringtones folder (via show in finder from within iTunes will work) and change the extension to .m4a.

The only caveat in any of this is that I have not figured out how to delete a ring tone, once added. Nor can I simply change the name of how it appears on the phone. I have to make any adjustments to the name while the song is in it's original form as an .m4p form as a regular song in iTunes. I have several dupilcate ringtones as a result of multiple tests of the overal procedure and my desire to change the name after the fact. Cannot yet delete the dupes, but hopefully there will be a way to manage this once the full-blown ringtone functionality is enabled within iTunes.

So for me, step 1 is to duplicate the song file within finder, import the duplicate back into iTunes as a regular song, edit the name to how I want it to appear on the iPhone, and set volume, start/stop points in the duplicated song. Then copy the song file (right click, show in finder) out to another folder outside iTunes and change the extension to .m4r, delete the duplicate song from within iTunes (no need to keep original files, since I've copied them out, elsewhere), and then enter the above procedure at step 8, using the .m4r files where I'm keeping them in a folder outside of iTunes.

thecrazyparrot

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
iPhone ringtones

Hi - I am new to the forums and have a question re: the iPhone ringtones. What did I do incorrectly to get this message? :eek:

Not only that - I get the message every time I sync not.

TCP.

Attachments

• iPhone Ringtone.pdf
    80.3 KB · Views: 385

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Hi - I am new to the forums and have a question re: the iPhone ringtones. What did I do incorrectly to get this message? :eek:

Not only that - I get the message every time I sync not.

TCP.

First, are you running iTunes 7.4 orr 7.4.1...it seems that you are running 7.4.1...so basically go into the iTunes/Ringtones folder on your hard drive, right click and select "Get Info." Change the file extension from .m4r back to .m4a...then sync the phone...should work.

musashi

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
First, are you running iTunes 7.4 orr 7.4.1...it seems that you are running 7.4.1...so basically go into the iTunes/Ringtones folder on your hard drive, right click and select "Get Info." Change the file extension from .m4r back to .m4a...then sync the phone...should work.

I am having the same issue as the user you helped with the response above.
I am running 7.4.1(2) and I get the same error message. I then go and use "get info" to change the extension to .m4a and then sync the phone and still no ringtones have ever appeared in my ringtones tab. After I change the extension to .m4a i get no error message and no ringtones in the tab.

I am sure some of you are sick of trying to answer these questions but I have been trolling on 27 forums and have yet to get this to work.

For some clarification, the itunes/ringtones folder everyone is referring to. Is that system created or is that one some people are saying to make yourself to keep things organized.

I apologize if this sounds garbled, I have not been sleeping well.

intel imac/8 gig i phone/ itunes 7.4.1(2)

musashi

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
I got ring tones to work using the updated itoner. I would prefer to not use an app, but they are working so I cannot complain.

tdub1974

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Windows efksoft works great!!

Just in case they can't or just aren't interested (it's something I've been hoping for), I came across a Windows app that seems to have a similar function (and a similar price as iToner):

http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker/index.htm

Personally though I'm still hoping for iToner for Windows, cause I'd certainly rather give my money to Ambrosia than whoever the heck Efiko Software is.

-Zadillo

This is AWESOME and worth every penny. After spending half a day trying the instructions with different (unsuccessful) results, I decided $15 bucks was well worth not spending any more time! I love it!!! Sorry I am so giddy!
The only problem I had was it didn't think my iPhone was docked on the first try, but if you follow the instructions in the FAQ it works great. You get 5 days or 3 free ringtones on a trial basis- so I would highly recommend any Windows users having trouble just shell out the money and use this.
Woo Hoo!!! :D

Tinpanharry

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
I am 99% done but can't seem to finish...

I don't have a Ringtones tab on my iphone sync page in itunes? Any ideas?
Greatful for any help.
Tks
Tinpan Harry

This is a post for the people that our having problems creating Ringtones with the updated iTunes (v 7.4). This is the way I am doing it. It is by no means the ONLY way, but it is a way that works for me as well as keep everything organized.

(1) Select your song. If you want to edit it (picking a particular starting and ending point) you can use the method described in earlier posts (see below) or with some free audio programs. I am on a MAC and like Audacity, but there are others.

(2) Create a folder titled "iPhone Ringtones" so you can keep track of all your Ringtones and come back to them if you need to. This also keeps all of your files neat and tidy and causes less confusion as to where your files are.

(3) If you are using the "itunes" method, select your original song in iTunes. Select "Get Info" in itunes. Click on the "Options" tab. Here you can increase the volume as well as select a starting and ending point for your song.

If you are using this method, you can skip step 4.

(4) If you are using an audio editing program, edit your song and then export as an AIFF or WAV file. Export the song to your "iPhone Ringtones" folder

(5) Open your exported song in iTunes. Select your song and right-click (if you don't have a right-click mouse, use control-click). Select "Convert Selection to AAC." This option is available to me because I have my settings under "Preferences/Advanced/Importing" to "Import Using AAC Encoder." Once it is done converting, right-click the converted song and select "Show in Finder." This will reveal where the song is located on your hard drive. Move the song to your designated "iPhone Ringtones folder" that I told you to create in step 2. If this is merely copying the file and not actually moving it, delete the original file if you don't want duplicates all over the place. Again, this keeps things nice and tidy.

(6) Delete the MP3 playlist file (the one you used BEFORE converting it to AAC) as well as the converted AAC playlist file from iTunes. This will keep iTunes from having several different directories for the same song, keeping things tidy and neat as well as keeping you from having a headache on keeping track of where everything is.

(7) Create a playlist on iTunes called "iPhone Ringtones." This is also for convenience sakes. It will help you have easy access to your Ringtones "playlist" and be the only place where iTunes keeps a directory of your Ringtones items (besides the Ringtones tab).

(8) In the finder, select the song you converted to AAC and press "Command-I" (or right-click and select "Get Info.") and IN THE GET INFO WINDOW (NOT the finder) change the extension of this file to "m4r" - IMPORTANT - Do NOT change the extension name in the finder. IT might appear as m4r in the name, but if you Get Info on this file, you will notice that the file now has TWO extension to it (i.e. "Start Me up.m4r.mr4") which REALLY confuses iTunes as well your iPhone.

**The song HAS to be in an AAC format FIRST before proceeding to renaming the extension. MP3s do NOT work. Repeat, MP3s do NOT work.

(9) Select your mp4 (lowercase works just fine) song and drag it into your "iPhone Ringtones" playlist in iTunes.

(10) Now sync up your iPhone, select the "Ringtones" tab. Select your songs and you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Heather77

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
Seattle Area
I found this thread yesterday and managed to change some of my old mp3 ringtones I had made with moto phone tools for my old razr following the PC directions. Once I figured out how to change the extension it was simple.

I just thought I'd share a free site friends and I have used for ringtones. No secret small print that charges you or anything. Phonezoo.com I had to set up the account to email my ringtones versus sending to the phone because iphone still doesn't accept MMS (DUMB!!!) But then I just downloaded the mp3 ringtones, changed them over, and put them on my iphone. There are some real good ones there and you can't beat free. Supposedly you can use the site to clip and make your own ringtones also but I havent tried that yet.

Just wanted to share!:)

Thanks for an awesome tip!

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Very interesting. I just found YET ANOTHER way to create iTunes compatible ringtones. This method is probably the LAST WORD on this topic, because I think most other methods are somewhat more dubious and intricate.

REQUIREMENTS
It requires special software, but that software is free and after testing it, it seems to work flawlessly. It's somewhat techy, but a non-techy version could be created very very easily.

BACKGROUND
Here's what I did. I bought a ringtone, "Geek in the Pink" by the illustrious Jason Mratz. I analyzed the file for all the iTunes specific metadata, and it contained what is refered to as a "stik" atom of type "14". iTunes uses this "atom" of data to differentiate the different types of content in its system. I'd tried this over the weekend, but I didn't realize iTunes would "skip" a few numbers. Previously, the stik list was comprised of the following types/numbers:
(0) Movie
(1) Normal
(2) Audiobook
(5) Whacked Bookmark
(6) Music Video
(9) Short Film
(10) TV Show
(11) Booklet
Here's what the atom tree of my official iTunes ringtone looked like:
Atom "⌐nam" contains: Geek In the Pink
Atom "⌐ART" contains: Jason Mraz
Atom "aART" contains: Jason Mraz
Atom "⌐alb" contains: Mr. A-Z
Atom "trkn" contains: 3 of 12
Atom "disk" contains: 1 of 1
Atom "cpil" contains: false
Atom "pgap" contains:
Atom "tmpo" contains: 0
Atom "⌐too" contains: iTunes v7.4.1.2, QuickTime 7.2
Atom "----" contains: 00000000 00000840 0000039E 00000
Atom "----" contains: 000016BA 00001663 0000B588 0000A
Atom "gnre" contains: Alternative
Atom "⌐day" contains: 2005
Atom "apID" contains: xxxx@xxxx.com (iTunes account email)
Atom "cprt" contains: Γäù 2005 Atlantic Records/ATG
Atom "cnID" contains: 0
Atom "rtng" contains: Inoffensive
Atom "atID" contains: 0
Atom "cmID" contains: 0
Atom "plID" contains: 0
Atom "geID" contains: 0
Atom "sfID" contains: 143441
Atom "akID" contains:
Atom "tvsn" contains: 0
Atom "tves" contains: 0
Atom "stik" contains: Unknown value: 14
Atom "purd" contains: 2007-09-11 10:50:53
Atom "covr" contains: 1 piece of artwork

PROCEDURE - ONE STEP
I then took a file I'd recorded myself, and saved as an AAC, and applied the same "stik" metadata to the file using a program called Atomic Parsley. The syntax was pretty simple. It was:

# AtomicParsley mmbop.m4a --stik value=14

Binaries of AtomicParsley are available for both MacOS and Windows. Moreover? AtomicParsley is open source, so anyone can integrate its procedures into their own GPL software and be iTunes compatible (note the license designation in this sentence).
http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/

The program outputted the new file, and I double-clicked on the file. The file immediately appeared in my ringtone list, and after syncing, it appeared on my phone without one iota of complaint. --NONE.

CONCLUSIONS
What I'm saying though, is that this process could easily be converted into a drag and drop application (like iRing for example). It could be done with Applescript or Automator (MacOS), Windows Scripting Host or even a bat file (Windows). In fact, I could create one that is cross-platform pretty easily, and even make it auto-convert mp3 files into aac files so that it can accept the necessary metadata. The interesting part, is that you don't even need to rename the extension when the "stik" is in place, as any AAC with the ringtone metadata designation will now work and sync in iTunes as a ringtone. Funny, huh?

WHAT REALLY HAPPENED WITH iTUNES 7.4.1?
It appears, that all Apple did last Friday was require the "stik" atom, before allowing a file to be "recognized" in iTunes as something it is allowed to put onto the iPhone. They really didn't do much else. The reason the file gives the error it does, is simply because it does not have the correct metadata assigned to it. All the hoo-hah over iTunes updates etc, appear to be unjustified. I feel a little silly. I even tried this on Saturday morning, but I didn't think to try stik values 12-15 on 4 separate files as I should have.

That would have immediately solved it, and I think the subsequent logical conclusions would have eliminated a LOT of belly-aching and chatter. As a frame of reference, iTunes uses metadata to designate something a "TV Show" for your iPod, as opposed to a "Movie". While an audiobook can be set by changing the extension, apparently Apple decided to only honor the "metadata" for ringtones, similar to the way "TV Shows" do not exist as a separate extension type.

My Blog Entry (pretty much what I've copied here):
http://www.xanga.com/gryphondwb/615474010/iphone-ringtones---what-did-itunes-741-really-do.html

Cheers,
~ CB

koeswandi

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
trouble on converting the file type

Hi I'm new in using itunes here and i have a problem. I changed the type of file just by adding .m4r to it and double click that file. It did appear on the itunes library but not on the ringtones section. Can someone help me out? Is it because the way I convert the type of file?
Thank you

ilp

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
Cleverboy, I can confirm your latest (stik) method works 100%.

I have iTunes on Windows with iTunes not managing my files. I took an AAC file, added the correct atom, dragged the file onto iTunes and it showed up in Ringtones. Synced and everything works gravy.

This is much better than the file renames.

jayprophecy

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
im new to this so im not really sure wat im doing but.......

im running itunes 7.4.1

and i got the file converted and got it show up in the ringtone section of itunes but wen i go to snyc it to my phone it says it was unable to download the item because it will not play on itunes

exact message says ........

"some of the items in your itunes library,including " refugees - ready or not" were not copied yo your iphone "jason" because they cannot be played by the iphone"

^^^ wat do i do now how do i get the ringtones to work ? cleverboy? any1 ? plz help

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
jay & koeswandi,

Read my last post. DO NOT use the rename technique anymore, iTunes requires the iTunes metadata to be set now. Once you do that, you should be good to go.

Cleverboy, I can confirm your latest (stik) method works 100%. I have iTunes on Windows with iTunes not managing my files. I took an AAC file, added the correct atom, dragged the file onto iTunes and it showed up in Ringtones. Synced and everything works gravy. This is much better than the file renames.
Awesome. :)

~ CB

winman42

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
multiple ringtons synching..

Having an issue with my Windows XP synching. I've created 8 ringtones using
the talked about method. However, for some reason a few of them get loaded,
and one of them gets loaded 6 or 7 times, so I have multiple copies of 1 of
the ringtones on the phone.

Anyone had this happen, and know how to stop it.

thanks,

Win

Cleverboy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Having an issue with my Windows XP synching. I've created 8 ringtones using
the talked about method. However, for some reason a few of them get loaded,
and one of them gets loaded 6 or 7 times, so I have multiple copies of 1 of
the ringtones on the phone.

Anyone had this happen, and know how to stop it.

thanks,

Win
If you're using the rename trick you should stop. Just update your metadata. Other than that, you should be using iTunes 7.4.1, and you can delete unwanted ringtones easily through the sourcelist's ringtones area..

~ CB

RTC

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2007
Sunny SoCal... surfs up:-)
ringtones and MORE?S

I am new to the forum and iphone. I will try the ringthing and hope for the best, BUT.... I am also wondering if anyone know IF or ARE we going to see options for different widgets. Personally, I could care less about checking on the stockmarket and would like the option to change things up a bit, just like on my laptop...
rtc :rolleyes:

mshel85

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
Please help so I can sleep

ok I have spent the whole day and half the night glued to this chair. First sifting through itunes only to be disappointed by the choices of ringtones. Then I did a search and ran accross this GREAT site.(thanks for all the info).
ok I want to make a ringtone. After 6 hours and reading almost all the threads, I finally figured out how to change the extension and I show it in my ringtone folder in itunes. however when I try to apply and the phone starts to synce, it pops up with an error than it was not copied because it cannot be played on this iphone. WTF
ok so I didnt want to bother yall (heehee from Texas) but I need help. I just got my phone two days ago and fell in love until I found out the whole ringtone thing. PLEASe help. Also I am using a Windows Vista so if you nkow EXACTLY ( a lil slow here too) I would REALLY appreciate it.

atavision

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2007
a little help please...

"To add a ringtone to your iPhone, using Windows Explorer or the Finder just duplicate and rename any AAC file to be "M4R", "

I'm sure this is an easy step, but I can't seem to get my files to a form that allows me to change the name. could you explain this step a bit more please?

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
If you're using the rename trick you should stop. Just update your metadata. Other than that, you should be using iTunes 7.4.1, and you can delete unwanted ringtones easily through the sourcelist's ringtones area..

~ CB

i've read the post. how do i update the metadata as you say? i have the atom program, my aac file. how do i do it?

ebracr

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
New windows program for ringtone

ok I have spent the whole day and half the night glued to this chair. First sifting through itunes only to be disappointed by the choices of ringtones. Then I did a search and ran accross this GREAT site.(thanks for all the info).
ok I want to make a ringtone. After 6 hours and reading almost all the threads, I finally figured out how to change the extension and I show it in my ringtone folder in itunes. however when I try to apply and the phone starts to synce, it pops up with an error than it was not copied because it cannot be played on this iphone. WTF
ok so I didnt want to bother yall (heehee from Texas) but I need help. I just got my phone two days ago and fell in love until I found out the whole ringtone thing. PLEASe help. Also I am using a Windows Vista so if you nkow EXACTLY ( a lil slow here too) I would REALLY appreciate it.

Someone wrote a new problem for window it works great check out the link
below you just drop your AAC file onto it and it does all the work for you than you just double click the file and it imports it into itunes and you just sycn it to your phone. Works great on XP and i heard also Vista.
http://tkhere.blogspot.com/2007/09/iringz-tonez-for-your-iphonez.html :)

mshel85

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
ok I followed the link and followed the steps and I made a ringtone and got it to showup on my ringtone folder. But when I synce the phne it doesnt show up on the phone. I am thinking this because I have nto shortened the track (is this correct?) So is there a link for some free software to cut my track down to a 30 second clip?

whistler72

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I am gonna try this!

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Can someone please point me to the best way of selecting certain segments of a song for a ringtone. In other words, where can i find directions for either Garage Band, Quicktime, etc. on importing an MP3 and then cutting it down to 30 seconds or so for a ringtone.

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I'm using iToner - it works just fine for my needs as i dont have the time/interest in doing all of the suggestions above. I would like to be able to use clips of songs instead of the entire song, though. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.