Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
hi, how can i increase the mp3 volume of select music files? I have some files that I want to use for ringtones, but they are not loud enough...

rmlloyd

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2007
Audacity may help

You can use a free program such as Audacity which can support mp3 via plugins. It has an 'Amplify' effect which you could use to increase the volume of your mp3s, save them off.

Ontop of all that, you can cut/paste to your hearts content to get the perfect ringtone :)

speedemonV12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
thanks... ill use that for now, but is there a way to do this without putting it into itunes?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
hi, how can i increase the mp3 volume of select music files? I have some files that I want to use for ringtones, but they are not loud enough...

Just letting you know, when you do this a lot of times, the quality of the music gets decreased a lot.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2007
Just out of interest, how does the quality decrease when the volume increases? Not that it matters for a ring tone... :p

if u exceed the normal 100% volume, of course it would loose quality, and get "fuzzy".:)

Cheesecake

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
Just out of interest, how does the quality decrease when the volume increases? Not that it matters for a ring tone... :p

Digital Clipping occurs when higher volumes are reached, which takes chunks of sound that was once there and makes it less listenable. Basically, you lose a part of the song. It's often called 'The Wall of Sound' production. It sounds louder but you lose quality and finer detail because of it.

But like you said, ain't no thang for a ringtone.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Digital Clipping occurs when higher volumes are reached, which takes chunks of sound that was once there and makes it less listenable. Basically, you lose a part of the song. It's often called 'The Wall of Sound' production. It sounds louder but you lose quality and finer detail because of it.

But like you said, ain't no thang for a ringtone.

Wow, this thread is 3 years old.. but let me revive it real quick with a question: if I use the "Volume Adjustment" option in iTunes for certain songs, will it also be considered "Digital Clipping"? In other words, will it affect the sound quality in any way at all, or is it just going to make the song louder (without taking "chunks of sound") that's all?

Thanks!

The Sheck

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2002
Cottage Grove
Wow, this thread is 3 years old.. but let me revive it real quick with a question: if I use the "Volume Adjustment" option in iTunes for certain songs, will it also be considered "Digital Clipping"? In other words, will it affect the sound quality in any way at all, or is it just going to make the song louder (without taking "chunks of sound") that's all?

Thanks!

Depends on how much you increase the volume. I've found with most .mp3 tracks that I've changed the volume on, slightly moving the meter to the right (a good place to start is halfway between the norm annd first bar). That little bit makes your quiet(er) tracks sound great! In fact, I joke around with friends who want to buy "remastered" albums to just move the meter to the right slightly to get the same effect. Then, I charge them $15. :D

Daniel Silveira

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
Mpeg streamclip

It exports audio in different formats including mp3 with up to 12db plus.
It also can batch (export many files in a row). Excellent Program.

----------

Mpeg streamclip exports audio in different formats including mp3 with up to 12db plus.
It also can batch (export many files in a row). Excellent Program.

hogger129

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2013
You can use a free program such as Audacity which can support mp3 via plugins. It has an 'Amplify' effect which you could use to increase the volume of your mp3s, save them off.

Ontop of all that, you can cut/paste to your hearts content to get the perfect ringtone :)

I second this. Use Audacity to amplify them to your liking and then output them as MP3 files to use as ringtones.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK

I know this is years old, but the Wall Of Sound was entirely different thing altogether: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound

Clipping: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)

Basically, imagine you have a hard level beyond which a track will go no louder. The level is there to protect amplification and speaker equipment, say. If you increase the volume beyond that level, the quiet parts will sound louder, but the loud parts will distort, with the loudest not actually getting any louder.

So, increase the volume if you must, but do it in small increments until you get what you're after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.