Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
I recently switched to mac and I was wondering how do you take a screenshot of your desktop. I can't seem to find it. Anyone pls?

GuntherS

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Belgium
Cmd - Shift - 3 = Fullscreen screenshot
Cmd - Shift - 4 = You can select the area for the screenshot
Cmd - Shift - 4 - Space = You can take a screenshot of a window

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Command + shift + 3 takes a screen capture of the whole screen. Command + shift + 4 lets you select what area of the screen. Command + shift + 4 + space lets you just get a single window/Dock/Menu bar.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Wait, one more way and you may like it better because it has more options. It's called "Grab". It's in the utilities folder. I love it!

Since you are new to Mac here's a cool tip. Open the Macintosh HD and drag the Applications folder to the Dock next to the trash. Right click or hold down on the mouse on the Applications folder and it will spring up with all your applications for quick access.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
And one more yet... if you take a lot of screen grabs, consider Skitch. It's a very nice program that provides really simple (but elegant) captioning, circling, arrow-pointing options. It also manages a library of grabs that you take, and it webpost them with a couple of button clicks so that you can post them in forums or inline them in a web page. It's great.

I occasionally still take opt-shift-3 screen grabs, because I want to capture something Skitch doesn't seem to handle correctly (like you can grab menu bars and things as full-screens with the keyboard, but you can't do it when you're using the mouse too, and so Skitch doesn't work well for that). I still just drag them into Skitch and delete the originals, though. :)

I can invite you if you'd like...PM an e-mail address.

togermano

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Wait, one more way and you may like it better because it has more options. It's called "Grab". It's in the utilities folder. I love it!

Since you are new to Mac here's a cool tip. Open the Macintosh HD and drag the Applications folder to the Dock next to the trash. Right click or hold down on the mouse on the Applications folder and it will spring up with all your applications for quick access.

thanks for that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.