Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I have never sold anything online before and would like to sell my 15" PowerBook. Any suggestions on how to sell it would be great! Should I do ebay? Or is there a good company that will buy it from me for a reasonable price?

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
I recently sold my old Powerbook using Craigslist. Everything went fine once I filtered the serious buyers from all the people asking me to ship it to Africa. I've just about given up on eBay. It has become increasingly 'lawless' over the years, at least when it comes to tech items, which is what I've used it for. My feeling is that people will be more honest when they know they have to face the buyer or seller in person. You also don't have to deal with the eBay "DOA" claims since you can prove that the item works before the seller hands over the money.

thagomizer

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2005
USA
Be careful on Craigslist. Robberies are all too common.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/25/craigslist_hoodies/

But I too am wondering what venues exist for selling used Macs. I upgrade every 18 months or so and I've been using eBay. However, just this week I've been scammed on eBay -- a fraudulent zero-feedback bidder ended my auction with buy-it-now and never paid. I'm left with $30 in listing fees that eBay does not refund. (eBay refunds insertion fees and final value fees, but not listing fees for options like "Pro Pack").

So I'm looking for other places too. Bye bye eBay.

I recently sold my old Powerbook using Craigslist. Everything went fine once I filtered the serious buyers from all the people asking me to ship it to Africa. I've just about given up on eBay. It has become increasingly 'lawless' over the years, at least when it comes to tech items, which is what I've used it for. My feeling is that people will be more honest when they know they have to face the buyer or seller in person. You also don't have to deal with the eBay "DOA" claims since you can prove that the item works before the seller hands over the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.